Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Try Gallagher as the starting point. Which should be a non starter.

I wonder what it takes to get Simmonds? Maybe Tinordi and second round pick?

I read about a rumor a few days ago on hockeybuzz.com. It said that Philly was looking to trade a top 6 forward to Montreal for picks and prospects. Cap restraints may prevent the Habs from trading picks and prospects alone for a top 6 forward unless their is retained salary. The Canadiens have somewhere around 2 million in cap space right now.

Philly's forwards under 3 million.

Brayden Schenn C - $2.5M

Sean Couturier C - $1.75M (goes up to $4.4M when his extension kicks in next season)

Michael Raffl LW - $1.1M

Scott Laughton C - $864K

Ryan White C - $800K

Taylor Leier W - $780K

P.E. Bellemare W - $713K

Chris Vande Velde C - $713K

Colin McDonald LW - $625K

Aside from Schenn and Couturier, I don't think the other player listed are true top 6 forwards. Both Schenn brothers have been the subject of rumors this season. I've also read that Couturier is untouchable. Raffl scored 21 goals last season, but only has 2 this season. Can't see him being considered as a legit top 6 forward.

I like Wayne Simmonds, but it would take more than picks and prospects to get him. Habs would need to shed at least 2 million in cap space to make room for him. I don't think Philly would have interest in any of Montreal's available defenseman. They have NHL veteran Andrew MacDonald in the minors and are rumored to be trying to move Luke Schenn and/or Mark Streit. They also have promising young defense prospects Provorov, Morin, Gostisbehere, and Sanheim.

Edited by John B

I wonder what it takes to get Simmonds? Maybe Tinordi and second round pick?

Much more than that would be needed. Tinordi's value on his own is not very high. He doesn't carry the value of a first round pick anymore. Montreal would also have to send some money back the other way beyond Tinordi to fit Simmonds' cap hit in.

(With the injuries, Montreal's current cap space projections are much lower than they were a month ago.)

Speaking of the projections, here are the current numbers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10lkBc0aXMmVnd2dJ2jLffPw6H9yDispbHlv-fgm3BdU/pubhtml# The 'Maximum recallable/acquirable...' section is how much of a full-season cap hit they can take on as of today. That is the one number that changes daily.

Branden Schenn could be a guy to keep your eye on

I think Schenn would be the one they'd look at. He's young enough to be a potential piece of the puzzle for more than a year or two and has had success as a top six forward recently.

A Canadien's wishlist from Philly might also include Gagner and Voracek. I am not certain exactly what Philly would be looking for, but the higher end guys would be harder to work out without a third party, because neither the Canadiens nor Philly are in the position to take on significant salary. I could see Philly going the other way, and trying to get enough prospects to get somebody to bite on Lecavalier and freeing up more space.

I would take both Schenn's if they would take Emelin... Don't know who to send for Braydon, but the elder brother is tough, although slow, he couldn't be worse than Emelin could he?

Stogey would give me a cigar for that deal! :pray:

Guest Stogey24

I would take both Schenn's if they would take Emelin... Don't know who to send for Braydon, but the elder brother is tough, although slow, he couldn't be worse than Emelin could he?

Stogey would give me a cigar for that deal! :pray:

Even half smoked, the deals done

Just wrong thread is all, but with Pateryn and Gilbert on wrong-side it is a better pairing and I really do hope to hear a rumour Emelin is being shopped, but darn no-trade bit likely huge hurdle to him in any trade, other than to a good team.

A Canadien's wishlist from Philly might also include Gagner and Voracek. I am not certain exactly what Philly would be looking for, but the higher end guys would be harder to work out without a third party, because neither the Canadiens nor Philly are in the position to take on significant salary. I could see Philly going the other way, and trying to get enough prospects to get somebody to bite on Lecavalier and freeing up more space.

Voracek has that huge extension (8 years, $8.25 M per year) kicking in next season. With big deals pending in the next few years to Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Price, I don't think they can take that big of a contract on. Gagner has been in the doghouse and could probably be had for cheap. At a $3.2 M cap hit though, someone would have to go the other way off the roster.

Luke Schenn plays the opposite side of Emelin and the Habs already have four righties on the roster. I also don't see Philly wanting Emelin. Part of their reason for wanting to move the former Leaf is for cap space (Emelin makes more) but also because they have MacDonald buried in the minors and a bunch of young d-men needing a spot in the next few years. Emelin having two years left would likely be viewed as a negative. They'll want to move Luke for a pick/minor leaguer, not take on a more expensive blueliner with term.

With Tinordi back up, is a deal imminent? I would hope that MB is trying to pkg Emelin so both Pateryn and Tinordi can bump up the pecking order.

How's this?: Emelin, Sherbak + 3rd rd pk for Simmonds?

The timing of Tinordi's recall is solely because his conditioning stint was up. (Technically he had a couple of more days but he'd have had to be recalled before St. John's plays their next game.) It's probably not a precursor to a trade.

As for your offer, Philly is trying to cut payroll. This adds money for them. Scherbak's value is also low right now given his recent injury history and the fact he's out another 6-8 weeks as it stands. If the Habs were to move Scherbak, it'd have to be closer to the deadline.

I wonder what Philly could want from us if we were going after Brayden Schenn. McCarron?

I think McCarron's hot start is going to make Bergevin hesitate to move him. A 2016 first round pick, on the other hand, would probably be in the conversation.

Agreed on Voracek- but probably pay check in line with point per game player-- just no room here

His new contract is in line with what he has done the last couple of years (other than this season where he has struggled mightily). That could be a serious albatross of a deal if he doesn't pick it up.

Rumour is that Philly wants Beaulieu and Ghetto for Simmonds.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

If that's all it takes to get Simmonds, you do it. Figure out the cap by moving a piece somewhere else, but Simmonds is exactly the type of player missing from the Habs.

Tough losing Beaulieu, but with Tinordi and Pateryn, you still have capable D-Men ready to step in.

Question is.. Is the gap between Beaulieu and Pateryn worth the gap between Ghetto and Simmonds..

Eller - Galchenyuk - Simmonds

Pacs - Pleks - Gallagher

Two good scoring lines

Guest Stogey24

We're in the midst of a Markov decline. It would be a terrible decision to move Beaulieu. It won't happen anyways, but just saying

I'd love to pick up Simmonds, but I don't think we can afford to lose Beaulieu. Any chance they bite on Jullson+?

I think if we add Simmonds and upgrade Gilbert, we are a bona-fide cup contender. If we did get Simmonds, would we be the first team to have 3 black players?

Rumour is that Philly wants Beaulieu and Ghetto for Simmonds.

Granted, Markov is in the last phase of his career, but if you can add Simmonds for Beaulieu then you DO IT.

Beaulieu is a top 4 dman. Not the easiest thing to replace but not the hardest.

Simmonds is a POWER forward. A top liner. A guy other teams must account for. Not the easiest player to obtain. Not the easiest player to draft.

You add Simmonds to the forward group.. Lookout!!!!

You lose a bit by adding Pateryn to the lineup over Beaulieu, but thats why you have Price. The amount you gain by adding Simmonds just makes Beaulieu expendable.

Plus, you get Simmonds at under 4 for three years. The window is wide open for that gap!

You lose a bit by adding Pateryn to the lineup over Beaulieu, but thats why you have Price. The amount you gain by adding Simmonds just makes Beaulieu expendable.

Plus, you get Simmonds at under 4 for three years. The window is wide open for that gap!

I think yer right!