Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Stamkos is a bad idea unless we're getting him for cheap (Vanek type deal). Which isn't going to happen. There is too much risk in giving up the kind of compensation that Yzerman will want for a player who will likely only be with the team until July 1st and than bolt for Toronto. What if we pay the premium price to get him, lose in the playoffs and than he leaves as a UFA? We will have nothing to show for the good assets that we gave up and would be further behind in our quest to win #25. We all seem to be assuming that Stamkos = Stanley Cup. If we want Stamkos, make a pitch for him on July 1st. Our window is open for longer than just this season.

Edited by John B

Good question. Not sure. I don't think that you "accidently" click "like" on twitter on 3 different occasions on the subject of being moved to Toronto. Maybe once is an accident. He has shown interest in playing for the team he idolized growing up. It maybe not be a sure thing, but there is certainly a legit risk.

Eklund is saying that the Habs are interested in Eric Stall. I would love to know where he thinks we are going to come up 9.5 million cap space for a 50 to 60 point guy on the downslide.

Really once in a while he should read his own posts and realise how stupid they are.

Eklund is saying that the Habs are interested in Eric Stall. I would love to know where he thinks we are going to come up 9.5 million cap space for a 50 to 60 point guy on the downslide.

Really once in a while he should read his own posts and realise how stupid they are.

His cap hit is a bit lower than that (I want to say around $8 M). I can't see the Habs wanting him long-term but as a rental at the deadline, I think he could be towards the top of their list depending on what happens roster-wise in the next 10 weeks.

His cap hit is a bit lower than that (I want to say around $8 M). I can't see the Habs wanting him long-term but as a rental at the deadline, I think he could be towards the top of their list depending on what happens roster-wise in the next 10 weeks.

Exactly: he makes a lot of sense as a rental at the deadline if we can make him fit, as he is off the books after this season.

Why would Stamkos want to waste his time in TO? He can live 3 hours down the 401 and actually be part of a serious contender.

He can become the highest paid player in the wealthiest hockey market. Contract plus endorsements he'd make more than Crosby.

Toronto can afford league Max. Montreal and Tampa would be asking to take a paycut.

Well you are right again, dammit, his actual salary is 9.25 mill his cap hit is 8.25. We still can't afford him long term. As a rental? maybe.

Well you are right again, dammit, his actual salary is 9.25 mill his cap hit is 8.25. We still can't afford him long term. As a rental? maybe.

Habs pay Eller and DD close to that.

Stall, Stamkos,or big Joe, Plek, Chucky, Mitchell. Stacked at C

Habs pay Eller and DD close to that.

Stall, Stamkos,or big Joe, Plek, Chucky, Mitchell. Stacked at C

Are you saying we can trade DD and Eller for Stall?

You say that like it's a bad thing... :)

Not in the least my friend, not in the least.

I'm not really wild about adding Stamkos, His biggest year was four years ago. Sure, he's a 40 goal guy, but if the Habs add him and say get rid of Markov and another player, they better win the Cup, or it'll be a Pittsburgh situation. He's on pace for about 25 goals.

No chance Yzerman trades Captain Stamkos to the rival Habs, even if he says straight up that he won't resign in Tampa. Plus he wants to be a center and our need is a RW

Agreed on the first part... doubt yzerman trades him to us.

Lets imagine he did though, Stamkos wants to play C and we need a RW... oh well, lets solve that problem.

Get Stamkos... let stamkos play Centre, and move chucky to RW.

Boom done.

If you have the chance, you don't pass up a guy who has 3 seasons of 90+ points under his belt and is 26 years old.

Stamkos is a bad idea unless we're getting him for cheap (Vanek type deal). Which isn't going to happen. There is too much risk in giving up the kind of compensation that Yzerman will want for a player who will likely only be with the team until July 1st and than bolt for Toronto. What if we pay the premium price to get him, lose in the playoffs and than he leaves as a UFA? We will have nothing to show for the good assets that we gave up and would be further behind in our quest to win #25. We all seem to be assuming that Stamkos = Stanley Cup. If we want Stamkos, make a pitch for him on July 1st. Our window is open for longer than just this season.

Bob McKenzie suggests today that the Stamkos to Toronto thing is far from a done deal, and that Stamkos will evaluate many options including potential suitors in Montreal, Nashville, St. Louis, and others.

Though I agree generally speaking, Yzerman still procured a pretty good return for St. Louis who was willing to accept a trade to all of one team. If all they'd get at the deadline for him is pennies on the dollar, they'll keep him as an 'internal rental' for the playoff push and take their chances from there.

Even that good deal Callahan, and 2 firsts for MSL and a 2nd.... and one of the first rounders was a conditional pick.... is NOT worth Alex Galchenyuk.

Still not the same conversation.

2 late first round picks and soon to be UFA Ryan Callahan <<< Alex Galchenyuk

St Louis had a NTC. He wanted to get traded. He pushed for the trade. He was only willing to go to one team. St Louis was on his last legs. Despite all this, yzerman pretty much raped sather. Factor in Stamkos is only 25.

Again....

He got

Callahan as a rental (UFA he re-signed)

a 1st

a conditional second that became a 1st when the rangers made the cup final.

You call that raping sather... I call that no where close to AG's value.

Guest Stogey24

Agreed on the first part... doubt yzerman trades him to us.

Lets imagine he did though, Stamkos wants to play C and we need a RW... oh well, lets solve that problem.

Get Stamkos... let stamkos play Centre, and move chucky to RW.

Boom done.

If you have the chance, you don't pass up a guy who has 3 seasons of 90+ points under his belt and is 26 years old.

Bob McKenzie suggests today that the Stamkos to Toronto thing is far from a done deal, and that Stamkos will evaluate many options including potential suitors in Montreal, Nashville, St. Louis, and others.

Chucky with Stamkos... Sign me up

Even that good deal Callahan, and 2 firsts for MSL and a 2nd.... and one of the first rounders was a conditional pick.... is NOT worth Alex Galchenyuk.

Still not the same conversation.

2 late first round picks and soon to be UFA Ryan Callahan <<< Alex Galchenyuk

No doubt, they wouldn't get Galchenyuk for him as a rental. But I'd call what they got for St. Louis better than pennies on the dollar, especially given the circumstances.

No doubt, they wouldn't get Galchenyuk for him as a rental. But I'd call what they got for St. Louis better than pennies on the dollar, especially given the circumstances.

New York was going all in and Yzerman was a smart negotiator in making them sweat. There was a lot of talk in MSL waiting until the summer for a trade and the Rangers didn't want to wait knowing they didn't want to pay Callahan. It should have been 1 for 1 but Yzerman got the picks out of Sather being desperate for an affordable replacement that could score for Callahan.

Of course, as great as the deal looked at the time, Yzerman decided to re-sign Callahan. Doing so is why he's in this mess with Stamkos in the first place. No Callahan? Stamkos gets re-signed yesterday.

Healthy scratch for Johansen has got Columbus's phone ringing off the hook. What would they demand from Habs for a guy like that?

Either a player close to him in skill (Galchenyuk) or a defenceman of similar value (Jones).

Unless they decide to be dumb and trade him for pennies on the dollar.

What would it take along with Galchenyuk to get Johansen? A 1st?

Geez. Would we really need to throw in a 1st? Is there another player out there, other than maybe Jones, who is liable to be as attractive to the Blue Jokes as Galchenyuk? I can see throwing in a Tinordi, but more than that starts to look a bit generous for a guy who is, after all, a healthy scratch and liable to become pretty expensive in cap terms much sooner than Galchenyuk. Let's not go nuts.

Geez. Would we really need to throw in a 1st? Is there another player out there, other than maybe Jones, who is liable to be as attractive to the Blue Jokes as Galchenyuk? I can see throwing in a Tinordi, but more than that starts to look a bit generous for a guy who is, after all, a healthy scratch and liable to become pretty expensive in cap terms much sooner than Galchenyuk. Let's not go nuts.

At this point there's a significant gap in value between the two players. A late 1st might seems reasonable to me.