Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

There's nothing wrong with MB's trade talks. That's his job, and thank the lord baby Jesus that he knew better to not have dealt Subban

I don't think that MB would have dealt Subban for O' Reilly simply because it would have been creating a bigger roster hole than it filled. That said, I would love to RoR on our roster. IS there any possible way he fits into our salary structure...? That salary and pending UFA status will keep him out of MTL, I think.

Guest Stogey24

I don't think that MB would have dealt Subban for O' Reilly simply because it would have been creating a bigger roster hole than it filled. That said, I would love to RoR on our roster. IS there any possible way he fits into our salary structure...? That salary and pending UFA status will keep him out of MTL, I think.

He's not even on pace for 50pts. 6 million dollars is pretty steep.

I think it's safe to say that even a 42 year old Jagr could help any team in a playoff run. No he isn't the player he once was, but he has had once of the most distinguished and successful careers in history.

Yes he is still a great pick up play offs.

Now just to be fair, he has scored 1 goal per year, except for this year, since he was traded. And boy wouldn't that 1 assist that he has look good in our stats this year? We certainly don't know how to quantify offensive defencemen cause those 5 points he has managed to rack up, with 3 different teams over 3 years is simply amazing. And yet he still gets a paycheck now that is amazing. :rofl:

Poster boy for NHL water down.

Just on a general note-- I don't recall a year where there has been this much separation this early; between playoff and non playoff teams. Usually teams are packed up around the last playoff spots even up to and after the trade deadline. Maybe early knowledge of their fate may stimulate some early movement.

Just on a general note-- I don't recall a year where there has been this much separation this early; between playoff and non playoff teams. Usually teams are packed up around the last playoff spots even up to and after the trade deadline. Maybe early knowledge of their fate may stimulate some early movement.

Definitely.

Three point separation between 1-3 teams in Atlantic, four point separation between #3 and Wildcard. Seven points between Wildcard and 9th place.

At this same point last year it was a six point separation between 1-3 teams in the Atlantic, zero point separation between #3 and Wildcard and a one point separation between Wildcard and 9th place. Islanders were 14th in the conference but only seven points from the wildcard.

There's likely more to it but quick glance? A lot less loser points this year overall. Only Pittsburgh, Boston, New York and Columbus had less than five OTL points. This year seven teams.

From Bob McKenzie regarding Antoine Vermette:

“Chicago, St. Louis, Montreal, Anaheim, the New York Rangers all amongst teams – contending teams – that would love to get this second line center who is good on faceoffs and can do a little bit of everything.

“Now, normally for a player like that the going rate in previous years for a rental of that stature is usually a second round pick and a pretty good prospect. I think what you’ll see is Don Maloney try to stretch this out as close as he can to the deadline to get more than a second round pick and the prospect because there are so many contending teams that are after Vermette.”

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/1/21/mckenzie-coyotes-vermettes-suitors-include-blackhawks-blues-canadiens-ducks-rangers

And Dreger had a few comments about the Habs as well:

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/1/22/dreger-addresses-trade-speculation-linking-canadiens-with-oilers-predators

I couldn't be less interested in Antoine Vermette, and with the names being thrown out there each year getting worse (or, like Keith Yandle and Evander Kane, being talked about for years without being all that great) I'm losing faith in the blockbuster deal.

MB is ahead of the curve on trades. The best you can hope for is a Dale Weise, the last squeeze from the Gonchar towel or a clever salary dump.

I'm with you on not being interested in Vermette.

I'd rather convince Shane Doan to waive his NTC. He'd have one more year on his deal too so it wouldn't be a rental.

Another older player I wouldn't mind getting is Martin Havlat. He has been playing quite well as of late on a crappy Devils team, costs nothing and has always been a gamer for the playoffs.

After that, there really isn't anyone I'm super excited for like Vanek was in the rental department. Jiri Tlusty? Drew Stafford? Erik Cole? Michael Ryder? Oy. What garbage.

I'd rather convince Shane Doan to waive his NTC. He'd have one more year on his deal too so it wouldn't be a rental.

Another older player I wouldn't mind getting is Martin Havlat. He has been playing quite well as of late on a crappy Devils team, costs nothing and has always been a gamer for the playoffs.

After that, there really isn't anyone I'm super excited for like Vanek was in the rental department. Jiri Tlusty? Drew Stafford? Erik Cole? Michael Ryder? Oy. What garbage.

Factor in the deadline deals that go bust and the deadline might be an anachronism in five years.

Factor in the deadline deals that go bust and the deadline might be an anachronism in five years.

There's always a risk. For every Ryan Smyth and Peter Forsberg deadline deal, you got guys like Mark Recchi who added huge to the teams he moved to. Kovalev was big for us. Moog went to Boston in a deadline deal then proceeded to haunt us for several years. Butch Goring was huge for the Islanders back in the day and of course the Penguins added Ulf Samuelsson and Ron Francis at the deadline, which was why they were so stacked in 91 and 92.

It's a roll of the dice. If I'm the Predators I'd probably look at the Forsberg, Kostitsyn and Gill trades and never do it again. For the Habs? I'd make the move for the right player. We're very deep in our prospect pool.

Definitely.

Three point separation between 1-3 teams in Atlantic, four point separation between #3 and Wildcard. Seven points between Wildcard and 9th place.

At this same point last year it was a six point separation between 1-3 teams in the Atlantic, zero point separation between #3 and Wildcard and a one point separation between Wildcard and 9th place. Islanders were 14th in the conference but only seven points from the wildcard.

There's likely more to it but quick glance? A lot less loser points this year overall. Only Pittsburgh, Boston, New York and Columbus had less than five OTL points. This year seven teams.

I am suggesting here that there are more teams out earlier than in past years therefore more trade fodder earlier. This is in keeping with the thought that playoff teams try to improve their roster and those players for the most part come from non- contenders.

Guest Stogey24

Havlat is a huge band aid. We have enough Euros on this team already too.

Guest Stogey24

I'll take a team full of players from Kuala Lumpur if it meant we were going to have a better chance at the Cup. I don't care where a player is from and neither should you.

Haha, I guess so. He ain't the guy we want though. Doan I wouldn't mind. I've never really watched him play, but character wise he fits the bill

So, it doesn't matter where the players are from but the coach must be from Quebec, right?

If you found a runaway giraffe with an attitude problem that could coach our team to the Stanley Cup, I wouldn't care if the giraffe came from a London Zoo.

The coach speaking situation was a perfect storm. The team was the worst they had been since the late 90s. They tossed in an assistant coach not ready to be a head coach. He didn't speak French so not only was he a mediocre coach in a bad situation, he was an easy target who the French media had zero to relate on him with. It was made into a kerfuffle and eventually the team announced the next coach would speak French to satisfy the complaints from those with an agenda.

The summer we had to pick a coach, the choices were slim regardless. If Mike Babcock or Joel Quennville was available, the French thing would turn into, "I hope they learn French when they come to Montreal and lead us to a Cup." Seriously, if we have no coach and there's an A+ candidate on the market? They are getting a call.

When the team is losing, there's always a language debate. The reason is there's only one language to the Montreal Canadiens: winning.

I don't care how many European players are on the Habs, but I certainly can say I'd like to see more Canadian lads there as well.

Nothing wrong with being a proud Canadian, that also happens to think that Canadian players have something extra in the tank when you are talking hockey, it's inherent to a Canadian boy to wanna win the Stanley Cup, dispute that and you have that right, as well as the right to be wrong.... it is Canada's game.

The older generations used to hate the Habs because they were "French" lol, even hated players from Doug Harvey to Chris Chelios, thought if they played for a French team, they were the enemy!

French team, lol, that even sounds funny...

True it is that winning is the only language, and other nationalities in this day are pretty pumped to get a shot at the NHL and a cup as well, and if they come here to play Jr. and live here, maybe they are Canadians these days? Maybe being a Canadian is contagious in hockey locker rooms? Seems to be a lot of "driven" Euro players these days too, they are all the same as the Canadian boys, playing for that contract, and some are playing to win, you can tell the difference by their play and attitude, but you can't tell what country they are from...

I'd hate to see where we would be without our Euro's....

So, it doesn't matter where the players are from but the coach must be from Quebec, right?

No but he must be French speaking. I don't think Geoff is going to go through the joy of hiring a non french speaking coach again. He may go along with a guy who speaks some french and enrolls in a french speaking course. But if you google Molson "french speaking coach" you will get a lot of hits. He got called everything in the book ad people were calling for a complete boycott of Molson products. No he will be very careful of that hand grenade.

Personally I thought Carbo said it best, if the team wins the FANS will not care if he speaks chinese. However the media on the other hand...........

If you found a runaway giraffe with an attitude problem that could coach our team to the Stanley Cup, I wouldn't care if the giraffe came from a London Zoo.

The coach speaking situation was a perfect storm. The team was the worst they had been since the late 90s. They tossed in an assistant coach not ready to be a head coach. He didn't speak French so not only was he a mediocre coach in a bad situation, he was an easy target who the French media had zero to relate on him with. It was made into a kerfuffle and eventually the team announced the next coach would speak French to satisfy the complaints from those with an agenda.

The summer we had to pick a coach, the choices were slim regardless. If Mike Babcock or Joel Quennville was available, the French thing would turn into, "I hope they learn French when they come to Montreal and lead us to a Cup." Seriously, if we have no coach and there's an A+ candidate on the market? They are getting a call.

When the team is losing, there's always a language debate. The reason is there's only one language to the Montreal Canadiens: winning.

except in the coaching position where its "winning" while speaking french and english or you dont get the job.

glad we dont have same policy for goalies.

It seems pretty clear to me that Molson is adamant about the "French coach" thing. He was obviously freaked out by the backlash to Cunneyworth, to the extent that he sabotaged both his coach and GM by publicly stating he was only there on an interim basis, which basically destroyed any cred Cunnyworth had with the players. He's not going to slip on that banana peel twice.

The only exception would be for a superstar coach like Quennveille or Babcock. That might keep the baying dogs of the French media in check for a while. However, the minute anything goes wrong and the team hits a sustained slump, that coach will become vulnerable. Players that don't like him can always leak criticisms to the French press, and lo and behold, you have the feeding frenzy start up again.

Here's how pathological it is. Pat Burns used to coach the Habs. He was a 100% bilingual Quebec Anglophone. Yet he was frequently criticized in the French media and rumours abounded that he did not like French players. Because, you know, he was Anglo.

The policy is idiotic and unworthy of Quebec - and I'm sure it's only a minority of francophone fans who would fail to respond generously to a unilingual coach who made a sincere effort to learn French. But maybe an undercurrent of parochial, nativist narrow-mindedness is only to be expected of a province where white actors portray PK Subban in blackface AND get publicly defended for their outrageously offensive choice by a major columnist in the province's most important newspaper.

From Dreger today:

Trying to nail general manager Marc Bergevin down on divulging internal secrets is a near futile exercise, but he talks to enough people around the league to surmise he's not satisfied with how his team looks. And if he can add a forward to strengthen his top two lines, he will. Bergevin is also believed to be looking for a defenceman - perhaps an upgrade to what's already considered a decent top five.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-countdown-to-deadline-day-begins-1.189968

Really happy to see MB views the team the same way i do. HAA! :thumbs_up:

(when i heard that he tried to unload gorges on the loafs, then later traded him to sabres, AND was not resigning gionta ...when i heard these two "music to my ears decisions".......... practically on the same day, I could have kissed him)

Not quite correct, one Toronto media personal agrees with you, which I wouldn't pat myself on the back about bud!

Maybe just the opposite and you might want to reread the qualifier he started off with. (that he really aint got a clue what Habs GM is up to)