Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Really? Why is that Brian? Does he have a problem with Joisy.

Kovalchuk walked away from a boatload of money and New Jersey, despite him being the star attraction up front, did little if anything to stand in his way. (I think they probably celebrated personally...) I have to think something happened behind the scenes that would prohibit him from wanting to go back or them wanting him back.

Kovalchuk walked away from a boatload of money and New Jersey, despite him being the star attraction up front, did little if anything to stand in his way. (I think they probably celebrated personally...) I have to think something happened behind the scenes that would prohibit him from wanting to go back or them wanting him back.

Yeah that makes sense, I just thought maybe you had some juicy gossip on the back burner. :)

Yes. It's the same rule for all European leagues, not just an NHL-KHL agreement. If a player not on a reserve list plays anywhere overseas, he must go through entry waivers that season to sign in North America (including the AHL; Hamilton stole a player off entry waivers years ago).

There is a set period of time where New Jersey retains exclusive rights to Kovalchuk as part of his 'negotiated retirement'. I think it's until he's 35 but I'm not positive on that.

According to Adam Proteau:

When Kovalchuk left for the KHL last summer with 12 years remaining on his contract, the league placed him on its “voluntary retired list” and made clear any eventual return by the would require the approval of all teams. However, when he turns 35 years old in 2018, he’ll be removed from that list and become an unrestricted free agent.

Guest Stogey24

What was it? 15 years 100 million?

What was it? 15 years 100 million?

There were 12 years and $77 M left on his deal when he left in 2013-14. His salary from 13-14 to 17-18 was at least $10 M per so he walked at the richest part of the contract.

On the rumour front, Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts suggests that the Habs had interest in Vladimir Sobotka in the offseason. He's one of the players who will likely be back in the NHL next year after spending this season in the KHL.

Another more relevant example might be Vladimir Sobotka. Doug Armstrong was at the Karjala Cup in Finland last month, where Sobotka was supposed to play but didn’t. The centre owes St. Louis one year before he can be an unrestricted free agent in the NHL, and there is a belief he will return to play it out. He’s a good player, and Armstrong had some trade conversations (believed to include Edmonton, Montreal and Tampa) but teams were scared off because his future was uncertain.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-cory-sarich-wants-one-more-shot-at-nhl/

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dream last night that we got Jagr. I think that is as credible a source as most of them out there.

As credible, yes, and I hope it stays just that, a bad dream....

Maybe, but would be costly to get Yakupov.

Worth it when team is rolling along just fine?

I am thinking Bergy will wait till Feb and see who is way out of playoffs and in sell mode.

Maybe, but would be costly to get Yakupov.

Worth it when team is rolling along just fine?

I am thinking Bergy will wait till Feb and see who is way out of playoffs and in sell mode.

i'd rather go after Yakupov than another rental.

Pretty hard to say that, when not a clue what would cost for full time player vs a rental.

Vanek was a very good shot at boosting offense and was nice to be rid of him also.

And maybe JJagr would fit same mold?

Guest Stogey24

i'd rather go after Yakupov than another rental.

Same here. He's an RFA after this year and has zero leverage for a large pay cheque. He may cost a first and a roster player, but I can guarantee when he leaves Edmonton he starts scoring again.

A couple of things to note:

- We have a trade proposal thread, that's where discussions about proposals go. The rumour thread is for rumours, not trade proposals.

- Alexei Emelin has a full no-trade clause. It's not likely he'd waive it to go to a perpetual bottom feeder so if you feel inclined to come up with trade proposals involving him (in our handy dandy proposal thread), keep that in mind.

- Alexei Emelin has a full no-trade clause. It's not likely he'd waive it to go to a perpetual bottom feeder so if you feel inclined to come up with trade proposals involving him (in our handy dandy proposal thread), keep that in mind.

Don't let logic get in the way of some of the proposals on here. Some think that with just the snap of the fingers that any move can be made because they want it to

• Upvote 1

rumors and proposals aren't the same thing? we're all wannabe gm's so what's the difference?

It gets confusing when people around here start thinking that our trade proposals are legitimate rumours.

rumors and proposals aren't the same thing? we're all wannabe gm's so what's the difference?

A rumour is something from a writer/columnist of a team that something is going to happen or is being discussed. A proposal is one of us sitting and thinking of something. That's a bit of a difference to me. We have two separate threads for a reason. If there's a post in here, I expect to see a report from someone that's reputable (or if it's really dull, Eklund). Otherwise, if it's just thinking of ideas, keep it to the proposal thread. I'm getting tired of moving posts from this thread into the correct one.

Anybody heard of the Jagr to Mtl rumor? .We're in NJ Fri...could we see JJ walking down the hall carrying his equipment?

I haven't seen anything about it. I saw the article where he's quoted as saying he's open to be dealt but nothing linking him specifically to Montreal. Do you have a link?

Anybody heard of the Jagr to Mtl rumor? .We're in NJ Fri...could we see JJ walking down the hall carrying his equipment?

We hear that rumour every year...

But I just thought of a 3rd line of Sekac - Eller - Jagr and I might faint.

I haven't seen Jagr play much this year, but I had him in my Yahoo! hockey pool :bonk: and he sure didn't do me any good! If stats are any indication, he's finally washed up. The only hope to the contrary is a turnaround under the new coach. Slim chance.

NTC aside, I can see trading Emelin...but hoo boy, that would leave a major hole on an already-problematic back end. That hole would need to be filled pronto if the team is not to suffer severely in its own end. And please don't say that Tinordi can just pop in and eat Emelin's minutes. :monkey: We'd need a solution that would actually work on planet earth.