Sign Pleks!

Nilan25

And I pray to the heavens that we don't have to add Markov to the list of permanently damaged goods. :angry:

Pray daily, because apparently recovering from an injury like that is very, very difficult. The term 'permanent limp' has been bandied around before. Least it doesn't affect his head, hands or hockey stick. But he may be a step or three slower. And we ARE the Habs. You mentioned the other three....

Hey, maybe our luck turns now. Everything happens in three's, and the Devastating Centennial will be over before he gets back.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Boyle seems fine after he had the same injury.

Remember, it was a foot tendon in the front, not the ankle (like Lang), that got sliced. I don't think that would cause a permanent limp... but I'm definitely no expert.

Dan Boyle seems fine after he had the same injury.

Remember, it was a foot tendon in the front, not the ankle (like Lang), that got sliced. I don't think that would cause a permanent limp... but I'm definitely no expert.

Definitely not as bad as an Achilles, no. And I think it depends on which tendon got sliced in the foot, but I do recall hearing from somewhere (sorry, no link :( ) that injuries like that can change the course of careers, and there was that concern for Markov. Gazette, maybe?

Yeah, it's funny, so many Habs fans peg Audette as a dog. In fact his career was destroyed by that injury. Prior to that he was a point-per-game player. And yet fans blame André Savard.

That injury was just sooooo frustrating. Savard had fleeced Gainey to acquire a legitimate top-line winger; all of a sudden our pathetic team actually had a bit of talent. So what happens? 5 games in and BANG! he's done for life. Something analogous happened to Koivu, who *would* have been a top-5 NHL player if his MCL hadn't been obliterated in '96; few people remember how he was dominating the league prior to that. On a lesser level, there's Zednik (never the same after that despicable MacLaren hit). That's three top-6 forwards compromised by injury in a 10-year span. If you ask me, the Curse of Year 100 started a lot sooner than Year 100.

And I pray to the heavens that we don't have to add Markov to the list of permanently damaged goods. :angry:

I wouldn't say savard fleeced gainey at all. Gainey was just trying to dump the ridicoulas free agent contract he had signed Audette to, in exchange for the peanuts brunet was making. Audette was a dog in Dallas given his salary.

Audette was doing quite well with until he went on a diving defensive play (where was the defense, you may ask) and had his wrist stepped on, severing the tendons in his hand. That's the only reason it didn't work out well for us. At the time, I was thinking we'd really won that trade. I guess Bob has The Sight and knew of the injury in advance. :P

well he was never the same again and i don't know if he is still in the league

I wouldn't say savard fleeced gainey at all. Gainey was just trying to dump the ridicoulas free agent contract he had signed Audette to, in exchange for the peanuts brunet was making. Audette was a dog in Dallas given his salary.

That was before the salary cap era, when it was simply a matter of what owners were willing to spend. In that context, you can assess trades in pure hockey terms. In those terms, Savard got a top-6 forward for a bag of pucks. I call that a fleecing.

That was before the salary cap era, when it was simply a matter of what owners were willing to spend. In that context, you can assess trades in pure hockey terms. In those terms, Savard got a top-6 forward for a bag of pucks. I call that a fleecing.

the actual trade according to hockey db was audette and shaun van allen for brunet and rucinsky. Not such a fleecing.

Marc Savard just signed a 7 years contract for 4,2M$ per season. No way Plex is gonna get more than 3,750M$ ...

Edited by JoeLassister

Good for Savard and the Bruins, a good deal.

Apparantly i am the only person who thinks Pleks will be traded. I am assuming Pouliot, or that Swedish guy will be a 2nd line centre next year. If the Kosty bros continue to play the system and play well they will have enough talent and an additional 1st to make up for Pleks not returning.

I think we are putting way too much faith into Pouliot, I hope he ends up well, but I'd rather not get rid of Pleks, even if it's for a first, it will not be a low first. All the pick will mean, is we do this song and dance again next year, with no real 2nd line centre.

Plek for 3.5-4m would be a fantastic deal, especially at his close to a ppg pace.

Marc Savard just signed a 7 years contract for 4,2M$ per season. No way Plex is gonna get more than 3,750M$ ...

This deal will undoubtedly be used by the Habs as a comparable. This is not good news for Plex. Savard has been one of the premier centres in the league for the past 5 seasons...Plex hasn't.

I love the little guy, but if he thinks he's worth more than Savard, he's out of his mind! Hopefully, we can get him for about 3.9 - 4 million$ per year on a 5 year deal!?

• 2 weeks later...

Please Habsworld, don't take this literally. Call it a poor attempt at humour. I have an idea for Pleks. Trade him to Ottawa, for Kovalev. Then try to tack some years on to his contract to reduce the cap hit, I know, may not be legal. My reason, I don't think I've ever witnessed a player wanting so much to be in the city he was before. I caught the end of a story, but I believe Kovalev was even in Montreal for the release of his workout dvd, on the day the Sens travelled home from the west coast. He looks like he hates being there. I know, this is all insane.

Please Habsworld, don't take this literally. Call it a poor attempt at humour. I have an idea for Pleks. Trade him to Ottawa, for Kovalev. Then try to tack some years on to his contract to reduce the cap hit, I know, may not be legal. My reason, I don't think I've ever witnessed a player wanting so much to be in the city he was before. I caught the end of a story, but I believe Kovalev was even in Montreal for the release of his workout dvd, on the day the Sens travelled home from the west coast. He looks like he hates being there. I know, this is all insane.

Not only was Kovy in town on Sunday, but he's supposed to be in Montreal today as well (for some children's charity event). Apparently he's also supposed to be in Montreal next week for some other event!

His first day in Ottawa he said he wanted to retire as a habs! If i were a hens fan, i'd be pissed! :huh:;):D

Edited by Habsfan

• 2 weeks later...

So how are we ever going to afford resigning both Price and Plekanec after this season unless we dump Gomez or a couple of Dmen?

None of them will sign for less than 3M /year.. Id say if Pleks continues like this he will get over 5M and Id hate to lose him because of a 0,5pts / game crazy contract centre.

So how are we ever going to afford resigning both Price and Plekanec after this season unless we dump Gomez or a couple of Dmen?

None of them will sign for less than 3M /year.. Id say if Pleks continues like this he will get over 5M and Id hate to lose him because of a 0,5pts / game crazy contract centre.

Pleks is gone. Get over it. Look for a trade before the deadline. If he is not dealt, and leaves as a UFA, then Bob should be fired.

Pleks is gone. Get over it. Look for a trade before the deadline. If he is not dealt, and leaves as a UFA, then Bob should be fired.

I think there's a chance that Bob can re-sign him. Even if he keeps this up and has a 90 point season, I don't know if anyone would be willing to pay him 6M. Anything below that might be worth keeping him for. I would bring back Plekanec at 5M (assuming he isn't going to be looking for a lot more than that) and get rid of Hamrlik's contract, great as he's been for us while Markov was injured.

Well, you don't resign Mara (that's 1.7 million$) You buuy out Laraque (Save 0.5 million$). And you don't sign D'Agostini (0.5 million) and Stewart (0.5million)

Total saved: 3.2 million$

It's a start!!

Why should Price get a raise? He has shown low consistency and so far has not earned one. I think it could be done. This team has a lot of money tied up on defensemen too, but the system has a lot of good defensemen. Weber and Carle are NHL calibre and close to NHL ready. Subaan should be a stud. They should bring some cheap relief at the back end.

I think there's a chance that Bob can re-sign him. Even if he keeps this up and has a 90 point season, I don't know if anyone would be willing to pay him 6M. Anything below that might be worth keeping him for. I would bring back Plekanec at 5M (assuming he isn't going to be looking for a lot more than that) and get rid of Hamrlik's contract, great as he's been for us while Markov was injured.

Coming off a bad season helps. One reason why Cammy got the big raise was consistency. Pleky had a bad season and should keep his value in the 4.5 to 5 million range.

This deal will undoubtedly be used by the Habs as a comparable. This is not good news for Plex. Savard has been one of the premier centres in the league for the past 5 seasons...Plex hasn't.

I love the little guy, but if he thinks he's worth more than Savard, he's out of his mind! Hopefully, we can get him for about 3.9 - 4 million$ per year on a 5 year deal!?

No way can Montreal can use Savards contract as a comparable. ITs worth $14 million for the first 2 years ($7 million per year) and then $14 million over the last 5 years ($2.8 Million).

Basically they are paying him for the first 2 years what hes probably worth, then giving him extra money over the next 5 years so they can spread the money out for salary cap purposes. For the fourth and 5th years I would be willing to bet that he wont even be playing in Boston or maybe even the NHL considering he will be almost 40 years old.

So how are you suppose to compare that? Are you suppose to give Plekanec $7 Million a year?

Everyone knows that Montreal overpays for their players. Theres noway Plekanec is not staying in montreal for less than $5 Million a year if its a 3 year or less deal. The only way its for less money per year is if Montreal gives him a contract like the 7 to 10 year contracts others clubs are giving out. ie. Michael Richards, Rick Dipetro, Bryan Campbell, Marian Hossa etc.

Why should Price get a raise? He has shown low consistency and so far has not earned one. I think it could be done. This team has a lot of money tied up on defensemen too, but the system has a lot of good defensemen. Weber and Carle are NHL calibre and close to NHL ready. Subaan should be a stud. They should bring some cheap relief at the back end.

+1

He has yet to prove that he is a legit number 1 goalie; he will be one eventually, but he has nothing to jusify a raise right now

Depending on the length of the contract, I can't imagine that the cap hit will be too much more than it is presently (i,e. $2.2 M). There aren't too many comparisons when it comes to goalies in Price's position, but Cam Ward signed a 3-year deal averaging $2.667 M for his first RFA deal (which was after a Conn Smythe victory, I believe), and Fleury signed a longer term deal, but the first 2 years were $3.5 M. I guess it'll depend if it's a bonus-laden contract, but I'm sure that'll all be taken into account by Gainey.

I'm no cap expert, and Ward and Fleury are only a few of many comparison, I'm sure. I'm hoping that a $3M contract will suffice for Price for now.

+1

He has yet to prove that he is a legit number 1 goalie; he will be one eventually, but he has nothing to jusify a raise right now

Sadly, this is the NHL - he'll get a raise because it's his next contract and he still has potential. That's just the way of things. It's just the amount of the raise that's in question. Consistency should bring that number down a little.

Not only was Kovy in town on Sunday, but he's supposed to be in Montreal today as well (for some children's charity event). Apparently he's also supposed to be in Montreal next week for some other event!

His first day in Ottawa he said he wanted to retire as a habs! If i were a hens fan, i'd be pissed! :huh:;):D

Well honestly how many sens fans are there a couple hundred?