Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

"It is a similar problem that Artturi Lehkonen spent two years rectifying while at Frölunda prior to his NHL debut. Konyushkov isn’t a very good skater, something that Russia is famous for developing. Konyushkov’s technique needs to become better in order to be a good, solid NHL defender."

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/what-do-the-montreal-canadiens-have-in-bogdan-konyushkov-prospect-analysis-development/

Kazakhstan 2 Russia 25 Team 5 (Final) - 3x3 Liga Stavok Channel One Cup (21 mins game) (Saint-Petersburg, Russia) - Watch online

Bogdan Konyushkov - two assists

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Smilamic was a gamble.  It would have been nice if he worked but the key piece of chiarot deal was the first rounder (flipped for newhook)

Exactly. Swinging for the fences, this time it didn't work out.

Quentin Miller was recently traded to Rimouski.  I expect Owen Beck will be on the move in the next few days as well, sounds like the Soo Greyhounds might be his landing spot.

9 points for Mesar at World Juniors, pretty good showing and a "CLUTCH" goal he had yesterday.

6pts for Hutson and tons of icetime.

Reinbacher 0pts 17:59 in a 7-1 beat-down.

His team is just about the worst in Swiss league.

image.png

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We want his team to move up the standings.  So they dont get into the relegation playoffs and he can come play for the Rocket sooner.

They've lost seven of the last 10. The only consolation is that Rapperswil is slumping even worse and has one win less over that timespan.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

We want his team to move up the standings.  So they dont get into the relegation playoffs and he can come play for the Rocket sooner.

Won’t that burn part of his ELC? Is it worth it bringing him to the AHL, if it burns a year of his ELC with only part of a year left, with no guarantee of the Rockets being in the playoffs?

11 hours ago, DON said:

Was hinting they suck and look forward to seeing him in North America sooner than later.

The more they suck, the more likely it will be later was my point.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Won’t that burn part of his ELC? Is it worth it bringing him to the AHL, if it burns a year of his ELC with only part of a year left, with no guarantee of the Rockets being in the playoffs?

No.  Playing in the AHL doesnt burn his ELC.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

No.  Playing in the AHL doesnt burn his ELC.

Wouldn’t he be on the first year of his contract this year if he is playing in the AHL this year, and then have only 2 years left on his contract? I thought that was one of the incentives for college players that could become free agents, but chose to sign their ELC when their college season ends, so they can burn the first year of their ELC contract. It doesn’t impact free agency, but it does allow them to sign their second contract earlier without the ELC compensation restrictions.

Wouldn’t the same situation apply for Reinbacher. If not how does it work for his compensation in the AHL. 

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Wouldn’t he be on the first year of his contract this year if he is playing in the AHL this year, and then have only 2 years left on his contract? I thought that was one of the incentives for college players that could become free agents, but chose to sign their ELC when their college season ends, so they can burn the first year of their ELC contract. It doesn’t impact free agency, but it does allow them to sign their second contract earlier without the ELC compensation restrictions.

Wouldn’t the same situation apply for Reinbacher. If not how does it work for his compensation in the AHL. 

The difference is he is already signed.  He gets the ELC slide for being under age 20. 

If he plays an NHL game, or is even put on the NHL roster, with deal it changes, but the Habs don't have to negotiate a contract with him like they do a college kid, so they don't have to promise him burning a year.  You don't have to burn a year for the college kid either if you want to just put them in the AHL, but its often an incentive to get them to sign. 

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Commandant covered most of this but on the compensation side, Reinbacher would get his AHL salary which would be $82,500 pro-rated if he's sent to Laval in a couple of months.  He is subject to the nine-game threshold as a junior-aged signee (he signed at 18, Hutson will sign at 20) so he can play in the NHL for a few weeks as well without officially burning a year.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Commandant covered most of this but on the compensation side, Reinbacher would get his AHL salary which would be $82,500 pro-rated if he's sent to Laval in a couple of months.  He is subject to the nine-game threshold as a junior-aged signee (he signed at 18, Hutson will sign at 20) so he can play in the NHL for a few weeks as well without officially burning a year.

Thanks Commandant and dblar for your explanations!

Seems he may well be better than most of us expected ... whether he is NHL material is TBD, but nice to see the young man doing well.

27 points in 33 games is NOT Good for a 19 year old OHL forward, especially one known for size and strength compared to other teenagers.

We went through these debates once already... I refer you to Mike McCarron.

I remind you all of the number from those arguments.... The absolute minimum has to be 1.2 points per game at that age for a forward to be considered anything more than an extreme longshot as top 9 forward prospect.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

27 points in 33 games is NOT Good for a 19 year old OHL forward, especially one known for size and strength compared to other teenagers.

I remind you all of the number from those arguments.... The absolute minimum has to be 1.2 points per game at that age for a forward to be considered anything more than an extreme longshot as top 9 forward prospect.

McCarron who's still an NHLer 10 years after his draft? That's a fine result for a 4th rounder.

59 minutes ago, Neech said:

McCarron who's still an NHLer 10 years after his draft? That's a fine result for a 4th rounder.

McCarron who was acquired off the scrap heap and is paid a minimal.salary.

I can find fourth liners on waivers or.cheap in free agency every time.  I dont want to draft them in any round.

Give me a kid with scoring talent but lacks something in his game with all my late picks.... even if 9/10 bust, the one who does play in my top 9 is more valuable than the 4th line scrub i can get in free agency for league minimum.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Perhaps the numbers aren't great for a 19 year old but what you are also looking for is progression and he has shown that this year. Not every teenager develops at the same rate and some are late bloomers like his brother.  There are certainly no guarantees he will make it but for a 4th rounder it doesn't look like bad gamble right now and once you get to the 4th round most of them are longshots. 

The thing about progression to those numbers is that the number of 19 year olds in their final year of junior who show that same progression are a dime a dozen and almost none of them are serious prospects.

Dominating a league of 16-19 year olds when you are 19 and one of the bigger, stronger forwards in the league after doing little for the previous three years doesnt show him to be a top prospect.

And his brother being a late bloomer doesnt show much either since they are different positions, and since there are so many brothers of NHLers who never make it.  Being a brother doesnt take away from the fact that the number of top 9 NHL forwards with his stats in junior hockey is extremely small.