Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

37 minutes ago, DON said:

Which of the prospects will turn pro this spring, i wonder?

Davidson, Roy, Struble, Kidney?, Farrell, Beck, Mesar?, Mailloux?

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/02/22/canadiens-prospect-power-rankings-o-stopping-sean-farrell-habs-roy-kidney-hutson-mailloux/

Struble (NCAA senior) and Farrell (little if anything left to prove) likely sign and turn pro this spring ... Roy, Kidney, Beck, Mesar and Mailloux may join Laval if their season ends soon enough but they all have the POSSIBILITY of returning to junior next season, so I expect the "turning pro" decision will be made next fall ... Davidson is in at the sign or release stage, but IMO that decision won't happen this spring.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Which of the prospects will turn pro this spring, i wonder?

Davidson, Roy, Struble, Kidney?, Farrell, Beck, Mesar?, Mailloux?

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/02/22/canadiens-prospect-power-rankings-o-stopping-sean-farrell-habs-roy-kidney-hutson-mailloux/

Roy, Kidney, Farrell, Mailloux, Beck should all be in Laval at minimum when their junior seasons are done.

Struble, Heineman and Davidson are likely to be added for laval as well.

With the exception of Beck, all are pretty much guarantees to be pros next year.  I dont buy the talk that Mailloux plays an overage season.

Hutson i think stays in school for a year.

Engstrom i think stays in Sweden for a year.

Dobes another year in school.

Mesar another year in junior.

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I believe Jared Davidson may have until June 2024 before his  rights are lost

?

He is an overager and will be done with minor hockey after memorial cup (if Seattle makes that).

So will be turn pro if offered contract, or go back to school (CIS/NCAA) i suppose.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Mesar another year in junior.

Not sure how down on this kid i should be (busy draft year/1st year in N.A.)?

I (and assume most everyone) am much more positive on the later picks Beck-Hutson.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

I (and assume most everyone) am much more positive on the later picks Beck-Hutson.

Another year of junior doesn't mean that he won't make the Habs. It would simply mean that he is developing slower.

1 hour ago, DON said:

?

He is an overager and will be done with minor hockey after memorial cup (if Seattle makes that).

So will be turn pro if offered contract, or go back to school (CIS/NCAA) i suppose.

They can do what they have done with others like Teasdale, sign him to a one year AHL only deal, putting his ELC off for another year. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

He's 18 and a late first round pick.  Two years of junior post draft is not unusual (and would be the normal course if he was like Beck and drafted out of the OHL). 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Another year of junior doesn't mean that he won't make the Habs. 

But, fair to say he is underachieving, holes in his game are not encouraging at the moment.

Maybe he will tear it up in the playoffs?

39 minutes ago, DON said:

But, fair to say he is underachieving, holes in his game are not encouraging at the moment.

Maybe he will tear it up in the playoffs?

Yes its a disappointing season for a first rounder.  There have been flashes but he lacks the consistent production you'd like to see. 

He's also moved from Slovakia to North America and certainly has had a culture adjustment. 

I think next year tells us a lot more in his situation, and he's not close to NHL ready as some thought in training camp.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I expect Adam Nicholas is in regular contact with him, to set him on the right path.

Such a friggin crapshoot drafting 17 yr old high school kids...at least 1 year too young!

But, if is what the owners/players want, so be it.

NFL rookies start around 20yr old at earliest.

NBA kids must be in their 19th year and most play NCAA.

MLB it is 21 yrs old.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

MHN is really annoying with clickbait headlines. I'll make an exception for Marc Dumont stories, though.

I find most of the links I click on are the ones I presume are written by him which aren't quite as clickbaity. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Struble, Heineman and Davidson are likely to be added for laval as well.

If Struble signs a deal that burns a year this season, that will make him ineligible for Laval.  The way Seattle has loaded up, I think the Thunderbirds will be playing deeper into the postseason than Laval will so that takes Davidson out.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Such a friggin crapshoot drafting 17 yr old high school kids...at least 1 year too young!

MLB it is 21 yrs old.

I get the sentiment...but partially those rules are there to protect the NCAA for they need cheap labour for all that money they make of the back of those kids.   You're starting to see HS basketball kids sign pro contracts for a year and then go into the draft. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

MLB it is 21 yrs old.

Focusing on the NHL ... I suppose ANYTHING can be collectively bargained ... but raising the age to even 19 would have one heck of an impact on the draft year that "gets skipped" (i.e., the year that 18 yr-olds become ineligible) ... I suppose they could phase it in with 3/4/6 month shifts over multiple drafts, but it still has an impact ... another option might be to just accept a shallow draft for one year and then use some sort of blended record to seed the 19 yr-old DEEP draft to "compensate" the teams that did poorly in the shallow year.

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

You could disallow the drafting of 18yo players after the first few rounds, the way it was in the late 80s. The others would need to wait another year or two.

Yeah, and as a lawyer, I class action the #### out of that under anti-trust law in Canada. 

Being a league that has 7 teams here makes it harder to prevent 18 year olds, who are of legal age, from working, even if they might be qualified to work. 

The US courts might allow that for the NFL, but I don't think there is a Canadian precedent on this, and if you mess with the 18 year old age, you could have a court strike down the draft entirely. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, and as a lawyer, I class action the #### out of that under anti-trust law in Canada. 

Being a league that has 7 teams here makes it harder to prevent 18 year olds, who are of legal age, from working, even if they might be qualified to work. 

The US courts might allow that for the NFL, but I don't think there is a Canadian precedent on this, and if you mess with the 18 year old age, you could have a court strike down the draft entirely. 

Irrelevant.

It would be better, help junior leagues and euro junior programs and likely help not handing high school kids big signing bonus cheques and would help project kids a tiny bit better i would think.

Kidney 1g(24)1a; 47games 85points 

Beck 1a;               47games 53points

Engstrom 0pts    37games 14points 14:15/gm. for a 19 yr old d-man in SHL, seems nice numbers.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Irrelevant.

It would be better, help junior leagues and euro junior programs and likely help not handing high school kids big signing bonus cheques and would help project kids a tiny bit better i would think.

Kidney 1g(24)1a; 47games 85points 

Beck 1a;               47games 53points

Engstrom 0pts    37games 14points 14:15/gm. for a 19 yr old d-man in SHL, seems nice numbers.

How is Commandant's comment "irrelevant"? Sorry just chiming in to say I appreciate Commandants legal bit about what might hold up changing the draft age. Carry on

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

It's quite true. It was dropped from 20 to 18 in 1980 (I think) after Ken Linseman took the NHL to court on this issue. The lawsuit was eventually dropped once the NHL changed the minimum to 18, though, so there is no actual precedent, as you say. But if the NHL folded in 1980 on this issue, I very much doubt they would try to take this on now.

I still like the idea of limiting the number of 18yo players drafted, allowing the others to mature another year, but that's really just wishful thinking.

7 minutes ago, Peterpuck said:

How is Commandant's comment "irrelevant"? Sorry just chiming in to say I appreciate Commandants legal bit about what might hold up changing the draft age. Carry on

Is a non starter i know, wont happen anytime soon...just me whining or dreaming. So the whole legal mumbo-jumbo dosent really matter to me and also bit off-putting to me, "well, theres a court-action lawsuit...".

I 'think' it would be better, is all i am getting at, thats all.

• Upvote 1