Injury news

Commandant

Guest Stogey24

I was hoping Leblanc could replace Parros.

I wonder, have we given up more goals per minute at 4 on 5 or with Parros on the ice at 5 on 5?

Well its basically 4 on 5 with Parros on the ice at even strength.

I was hoping Leblanc could replace Parros.

I wonder, have we given up more goals per minute at 4 on 5 or with Parros on the ice at 5 on 5?

Parros: 52:18 ES TOI, 7 GA, ratio of 1 GA per 7.47 minutes (I'm not converting the decimal to seconds)

Habs' PK: 273:30 SH TOI (includes 5-on-3, I don't see a filter for that), 23 GA, ratio of 1 GA per 11.89 minutes

• Upvote 2

Parros: 52:18 ES TOI, 7 GA, ratio of 1 GA per 7.47 minutes (I'm not converting the decimal to seconds)

Habs' PK: 273:30 SH TOI (includes 5-on-3, I don't see a filter for that), 23 GA, ratio of 1 GA per 11.89 minutes

Thanks a lot! That really puts it in perspective. A goal against every seven and a half minutes that George is on the ice... pitiful. Truly not an NHL player anymore.

I wonder, are there number crunchers of dlbalr's esteem in the organization who look at figures like this? How could you ever justify his inclusion in the lineup?

Thanks a lot! That really puts it in perspective. A goal against every seven and a half minutes that George is on the ice... pitiful. Truly not an NHL player anymore.

I wonder, are there number crunchers of dlbalr's esteem in the organization who look at figures like this? How could you ever justify his inclusion in the lineup?

Most of the 50-60 unskilled goons currently making a living in NHL, do so because of fact that fighting sells and is marketed by NHL teams. Same reasoning why a marketable and recognizable goon like Parros gets paid by Molson et al; reasonable signing if you are in the entertainment industry and want to make more money (same as Big George Laroque signing, even though that backfired as well).

White must be almost healthy again isn't he?

Is Galchenyuk healing progressing as expected??

Most of the 50-60 unskilled goons currently making a living in NHL, do so because of fact that fighting sells and is marketed by NHL teams. Same reasoning why a marketable and recognizable goon like Parros gets paid by Molson et al; reasonable signing if you are in the entertainment industry and want to make more money (same as Big George Laroque signing, even though that backfired as well).

White must be almost healthy again isn't he?

Is Galchenyuk healing progressing as expected??

White is still a couple weeks away, there hasn't been progress on his shoulder injury.

Galchenyuk has been skating alone, but the time-table is still the same.

I agree that fighting and goons help the entertainment side of things, but I think that Bergevin and company genuinely believe that a goon helps for hockey reasons too. The Blackhawks kept Mayers around last year (but never played him when it counted). It could be true that Molson had a hand in some PR moves this summer (Briere and Parros could be seen in that light), but I don't think he's focussing on his pocket book to the detriment of the team on the rink as an overall strategy. The Habs will make money for him hand over fist either way, even moreso if there's a deep playoff run.

It's important to note the small sample size (few GP, low TOI) and that one outlier can skew the data. Remember that three of the goals against came in his second game of the year (his first game back from concussion). If you take that one game out, the ratio changes to 1 GA per about 11.9 minutes. That's more in line with last year (1 per 12.8 minutes). That's still not good by any stretch - it lines up practically identically with the Habs' PK - but hardly as bad as the stat looks with that one game inclusion.

White is still a couple weeks away, there hasn't been progress on his shoulder injury.

Galchenyuk has been skating alone, but the time-table is still the same.

I agree that fighting and goons help the entertainment side of things, but I think that Bergevin and company genuinely believe that a goon helps for hockey reasons too. The Blackhawks kept Mayers around last year (but never played him when it counted). It could be true that Molson had a hand in some PR moves this summer (Briere and Parros could be seen in that light), but I don't think he's focussing on his pocket book to the detriment of the team on the rink as an overall strategy. The Habs will make money for him hand over fist either way, even moreso if there's a deep playoff run.

Remember guys like Tony Twist and Joey Kocur? This new generation of "enforcers" doesn't pass muster. Is anyone even afraid of these guys? As much as I like tough hockey and fighters, the speed of the game and the instigator penalty has really marginalized their effectiveness. That being said, when it comes to someone like Ryan Reaves it's a different story.

Remember guys like Tony Twist and Joey Kocur? This new generation of "enforcers" doesn't pass muster. Is anyone even afraid of these guys? As much as I like tough hockey and fighters, the speed of the game and the instigator penalty has really marginalized their effectiveness. That being said, when it comes to someone like Ryan Reaves it's a different story.

I do always find that when a tough guy/fighter is on a good team they have their tires pumped far to often.

He did come back and play a shift late in the game so I don't think it's too serious.

Really, wasn't paying close attention to game at that point and single malt didn't help.

But, great to hear that, thanks.

- Leblanc was "sent down" by the Canadiens but everyone is saying he will stay in Montreal. He has the flu. It's a cap precautionary.

- Davis Drewskie might finally be 100%, meaning we have eight healthy defencemen.

Leblanc practiced in Hamilton today according to Derek Wills.

What's the status of Ryan White?

It sounded like yesterday was his first contact practice so he's probably pretty close. If we see a note about Thomas getting sent down, that should be the indicator that he's ready to go (as the Habs are carrying 23 on the active roster at the moment; to activate White they'd need to free up a roster spot).

Moen won't play tomorrow while Murray didn't practice after getting shaken up blocking a shot yesterday. Drewiske skated on the 3rd pairing with Beaulieu. For Drewiske to be activated, another roster spot has to be freed up - my guess is that Moen would go on IR which would make him unavailable for Saturday as well.

A note on Galchenyuk, if the Habs want, they can send him to Hamilton on a conditioning assignment starting February 19th. Normally they don't do conditioning assignments regularly but this is an instance where I think it could be useful, even if it's only for a game or two.

A note on Galchenyuk, if the Habs want, they can send him to Hamilton on a conditioning assignment starting February 19th. Normally they don't do conditioning assignments regularly but this is an instance where I think it could be useful, even if it's only for a game or two.

Any bet on odds of that happening?

Would be interesting to see him in Hamilton lineup for game or 2.

Any bet on odds of that happening?

Would be interesting to see him in Hamilton lineup for game or 2.

That it actually happens? Slim to nil. They usually don't want to risk injury, especially with their better players. I think they'd be wise to do so though but I doubt it happens. Drewiske is also eligible, I'd give him slightly better odds but still low.

I wonder if the Habs will provide any updates on him during the break.

Not until after the 19th. When operations are shut down, players technically don't have access to team medical personnel. He was told to shut it down for a week, they'll tack on a couple more days to that and reevaluate on the 19th when teams return to practice.