Injury news

Commandant

I hate watching this happen, it's like watching a trainwreck. One day one of these guys will get killed then we will do what is best for the player. But someone has to die or be really seriously injured before any common sense will set in.

Someone did die. It changed things but not enough.

25 years from now, players are probably going to be retiring at first NHL concussion.

Someone did die. It changed things but not enough.

25 years from now, players are probably going to be retiring at first NHL concussion.

I am sure the NHL owners noted the judgement in the NFL suit by the players and would like to avoid that loss of cash and liability.

But boxing casualties are numerous and that sport still rolls on.

I am sure the NHL owners noted the judgement in the NFL suit by the players and would like to avoid that loss of cash and liability.

It wasn't a judgment in the NFL one, it was an out-of-court settlement. Early indications are that the NHL intends to actually take their suit into the courtroom which should be interesting.

This.

I guess the "legal" issues are a problem, but if I'm MB, I look George in the eye and tell him that because the health of my players is my paramount commitment, I don't want him ruining the rest of his life by suiting up; and that I'll be glad to work with him to find another role in the organization. I get that the Habs have to pay him (which is as it should be). I don't get that they "have" to play him.

That's all. It's not an NHLPA issue until they stop playing him after he's cleared. They can say anything they want behind closed doors to force his hand.

But boxing casualties are numerous and that sport still rolls on.

Boxers are abused and screwed, they have bigger problems with what goes on behind the scenes, and the way fights are set up might prevent a lawsuit. There's no central body to sue, like a league, there are promotion companies and then state commissions that sanction the fights. Even boxers as big as Manny Pacquiao are rumored to be broke. It's a greasy, exploitative sport, but there are no greater competitors than boxers.

Boxers are abused and screwed, they have bigger problems with what goes on behind the scenes, and the way fights are set up might prevent a lawsuit. There's no central body to sue, like a league, there are promotion companies and then state commissions that sanction the fights. Even boxers as big as Manny Pacquiao are rumored to be broke. It's a greasy, exploitative sport, but there are no greater competitors than boxers.

sure there are,...... hockey players.

I love boxing (though being a stodgy sort I never "got" MMA). But it's probably indefensible as is MMA: concussion factories, churning out permanently crippled human beings.

I love boxing (though being a stodgy sort I never "got" MMA). But it's probably indefensible as is MMA: concussion factories, churning out permanently crippled human beings.

As does NASCAR and many other sports. What would you do for potentially $millions/year?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stogey24

That's what I said the 1st time but he came back.

George is not the heavy weight he once was. I really thought he was going to knock some heads for Montreal. Apparently its the opposite.

That's what I said the 1st time but he came back.

MTL needs to get a heavyweight in his prime. It shouldn't be this difficult, there's no need to give up assets or pay more than league minimum, guys like Gazdic and Sestito are on waivers every year, and there are plenty of goons in waiting in the AHL. There's no need to have a name brand goon like Parros, John Scott, Orr or Shawn Thornton.

I'd like to see Leblanc up. I know current management seems to hate his guts (did he insult Bergevin's wife or something?) but he seemed like a promising third-line type to me in his various stints with us. I'm also leery of us throwing prospects away. It's now-or-never time for the kid, let's give him every chance to prove himself.

I'd like to see Leblanc up. I know current management seems to hate his guts (did he insult Bergevin's wife or something?) but he seemed like a promising third-line type to me in his various stints with us. I'm also leery of us throwing prospects away. It's now-or-never time for the kid, let's give him every chance to prove himself.

I think that's overstated. We've had too many forwards and even then he got a solid call up this season when we dealt with injuries last time.