2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

A bit of a surprise here, New Jersey will not forfeit their 29th overall pick as part of the Kovalchuk penalty. They have 2 more years to forfeit one of their 1st rounders.

Guess they think this is a deeper draft or... are just sure they'll win the cup soon.

A bit of a surprise here, New Jersey will not forfeit their 29th overall pick as part of the Kovalchuk penalty. They have 2 more years to forfeit one of their 1st rounders.

I'm not that surprised given the uncertainty over Parise and with next year probably being Brodeur's last year, they probably want to start reloading. They lucked out with Larsson dropping, maybe the are hoping Subban will drop enough for them.

bit of wildcard i guess

I like wildcard picks but not for a first, second or third rounder. Dustin Walsh was a good example of a wildcard pick. Hard working 6'3" centerman who we likely won't see in Hamilton for another two years so it's fine for him to continue developing at his own pace.

That Devils thing shocks me.

They must have a trade in the works.

yah seems odd to keep the lowest pick almost possible?

I'm not that surprised given the uncertainty over Parise and with next year probably being Brodeur's last year, they probably want to start reloading. They lucked out with Larsson dropping, maybe the are hoping Subban will drop enough for them.

My guess is that they keep the pick with plans of somewhere down the road parting with a player in exchange for a 1st rounder. Essentially nsure a 1st rounder every year.

My guess is that they keep the pick with plans of somewhere down the road parting with a player in exchange for a 1st rounder. Essentially nsure a 1st rounder every year.

Only issue with that is they don't get a choice of which first rounder to forfeit. They have to forfeit their own "natural" pick. Much like a RFA offer sheet.

Lou is not a dumb man.

He's clearly confident in the Devils scouting for this year and has a player in mind he feels is more valuable now than a possibly lower draft pick and prospect in a year or so.

If we see Lou look pissed at the draft before his pick it's because someone got the guy he wasn't willing to give up his first to draft.

Whomever said NJ lucked out getting Larsson? He wil be a fine d-man but.

I think they and several other teams missed the boat big time by skipping on Dougie Hamilton and Sean Couturier, but expecially for a defensive d-man. Same as Tampa with Hedman, fine player also but not an impact player to be like Duchene or Kane.

I just wouldnt take a defensive d-man in the first round. Tinordi will be good, but there are several just as heavy and solid d-men who went in 2nd round that year that would of saved Habs a pick, or even could of traded down to get and maybe added a pick. But hind sight is what it is and Timmins must of really like the big guy.

Soooo....

With Gallant coming to join the coaching staff, how interesting would it be to see Bergevin and Tallon make a swap for Huberdeau? With Beaulieu already fit to be in the mix. Would make for some interesting longevity and instant dedication.

Im not sure If Id rather have Huberdeau or Galchenyuk. But the chemistry and familiarity can not be over looked.

Interesting things a comin'. Get gone summer! :wall:

Huberdeau is not leaving Florida without having a career there first.

He can invest in condos...

Soooo....

With Gallant coming to join the coaching staff, how interesting would it be to see Bergevin and Tallon make a swap for Huberdeau? With Beaulieu already fit to be in the mix. Would make for some interesting longevity and instant dedication.

Im not sure If Id rather have Huberdeau or Galchenyuk. But the chemistry and familiarity can not be over looked.

Interesting things a comin'. Get gone summer! :wall:

Although he's an excellent prospect, I'm not sure Huberdeau is a better prospect than any of the 3 or 4 forwards we'll have a shot at this year with the 3rd pick, so I wouldn't trade anything substantial to get him, even a direct swap for our pick would make me nervous. I watched him play a few times this year, and while he looks good, he didn't strike me as being totally dominant either, he'll probably need some time in the AHL, or some well managed NHL minutes, and likely a few years away from being an impact player in NHL.

Only issue with that is they don't get a choice of which first rounder to forfeit. They have to forfeit their own "natural" pick. Much like a RFA offer sheet.

I know, just saying they will likely forfeit their pick somewhere down the road when they pull a move to acquire someone else's pick. They are kind of at a cross roads because they are losing their best player, their franchise goalie is retiring soon....they need to re-stock soon.

I know, just saying they will likely forfeit their pick somewhere down the road when they pull a move to acquire someone else's pick. They are kind of at a cross roads because they are losing their best player, their franchise goalie is retiring soon....they need to re-stock soon.

With those losses they should forfeit 29th overall because their next natural picks could be a lot higher

The risk here is greater than the reward, a really low draft pick who wont likely make any NHL impact for those next two years anyway