Carey Price signs 6-year extension

sakiqc

Glad it's long term, although I would have preferred a Crosby type longer term, front loaded, lower cap hit.

According to Kypreos, $39M for a $6.5M hit.

No discount. Exactly how much I expected.

Glad it's long term, although I would have preferred a Crosby type longer term, front loaded, lower cap hit.

I prefer those contracts as well but Bergevin seems to prefer a clean term. Some players prefer it as well, they'll know what to expect.

I hope Price now purchases a new mask for every game.

I'm really happy we have Carey locked for 6 years. Only thing sad with this important signing was that it was announced in a quick media scrum and not with the attention/ceremonial it deserved, ie with Price present and a real PR/PC event. This might be the most important Habs signing of the past few decades.

Nobody deserves that much money.-- and certainly not an athlete -- but I am glad Price will be with the team for the long term. He was my choice over Halak. Now, let's hope that he will behave like a true professional.

Glad he's locked up...but, of course, this doesn't make us a better team. Still work to do.

You're right, it does clarify a bit of our cap picture.

Now we need to sign PK for $4.5M and Eller for $2M and we're all set.

You're right, it does clarify a bit of our cap picture.

Now we need to sign PK for $4.5M and Eller for $2M and we're all set.

I personally hope (and think) we can get both for less.

I have no issues giving PK $4.5M if it is a LONG term deal. If its just a 2 to 3 yr deal being negotiated as reported, then I think $4.5M is too high.

• Upvote 1

Well, if Gorges gets $3.9M then Subban gets at least $4M or more.

I say 6 years @ $4.5M/yr.

Well, if Gorges gets $3.9M then Subban gets at least $4M or more.

I say 6 years @ $4.5M/yr.

Gorges' contract takes out some of his UFA years. Subban's contract likely won't.

You got the opposite, it's a pretty back loaded deal. (5.5, 5.75, 6.75, then 3 years of 7)

6 years is as long as any smart contract should be.

Great to see recognition of franchise player and both sides must be pretty happy with deal.

This isn't like Crosby or Luongo, where the contract encompasses the years where the player will be in decline. To do that with Price, you'd have had to lock him up for 16 years (!). Instead, we locked up Price for his prime, and there is no way you could do that without absorbing a substantial cap hit. I have absolutely no problem at all with any aspect of this signing. We're all-in with Price. That's as it should be.

Great signing by Bergevin. Carey is our Franchise player. we needed to lock him up long term and that's what he did. Carey seemed to be happy on the phone interview he gave to RDS!! Great day to be a Habsfan!

This isn't like Crosby or Luongo, where the contract encompasses the years where the player will be in decline. To do that with Price, you'd have had to lock him up for 16 years (!). Instead, we locked up Price for his prime, and there is no way you could do that without absorbing a substantial cap hit. I have absolutely no problem at all with any aspect of this signing. We're all-in with Price. That's as it should be.

Agreed, given his age you needed to go a lot longer than even 10 years to get the cap reducing effect right.

I'm just saying that on a contract like we have now.... 5.5 to start and 7 at the end or whatever it is... that is not an advantage to the player. Its better for the team to backload.