2012-13 NHL Regular Season Thread

dlbalr

Malkin has a concussion and could miss the upcoming game against the Habs on Saturday. He also joins an insanely long list of players injured on one of my pool teams (joining Del Zotto, Frattin, Whitney, and Malone...while two others just returned from missing considerable time).

Also, I missed the memo that today is apparently contract extension day...

- Braden Holtby - 2 years, $1.85M AAV

- John Erskine - 2 years, $1.9625M AAV

- David Schlemko - 2 years, $1.1875M AAV

Ryane Clowe gets 2 games. That's a far cry from the 10 many were expecting.

Leaving the bench for the purpose of a fight is an automatic 10. Clowe was actually on a legal line change which is definitely what Wilson would have argued. However, "the intent to fight" was still there so they played it to that part of the rule and gave him two.

Seems like le soupe de jour is imformation sent to thirty teams concerning realignment. I can't authenicate anything but what I have seen it would appear that expansion in the east has not been considered in this realignment scenerio. I think I would have tryed to put the ducks in a row for expansion if that indeed is their plan.

Yeah, Gagne will do wonders for their struggling defence corps. Seriously, their cap space is somewhat limited (even with LTIR options), this is not the smartest move given those potential constraints even those the acquisition cost is low. Plus, I'm not even sure he'll help them a whole lot, there had to be better options.

The Ducks are one of the best teams in the NHL, and no one seems to be talking about it. Bruce Boudreau has them playing great, pulling tricks out the old Gordon Bombay bag. These Ducks fly together.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/02/28/ducks-fly-together-how-boudreau-led-anaheim-to-the-top-of-the-pacific/

The Ducks are one of the best teams in the NHL, and no one seems to be talking about it. Bruce Boudreau has them playing great, pulling tricks out the old Gordon Bombay bag. These Ducks fly together.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/02/28/ducks-fly-together-how-boudreau-led-anaheim-to-the-top-of-the-pacific/

This "Boudreau makes a team really good when they really are not" story sounds familiar...

Calgary have tendered an offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly. 2 years @ $5m per cap hit. A $1m salary this year with $2.5m signing bonus and a $6.5m salary next year with 2 years of RFA status after that.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417051

If the offer sheet doesn't get matched, Calgary would be giving Colorado this year's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Calgary have tendered an offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly. 2 years @ $5m per cap hit. A $1m salary this year with $2.5m signing bonus and a $6.5m salary next year with 2 years of RFA status after that.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417051

If the offer sheet doesn't get matched, Calgary would be giving Colorado this year's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Will they ever learn ?

That's a wisely structured offer sheet by the Flames (in terms of punitive measures to Colorado), one that I could really see the Avs passing up on. As much as some are saying Colorado would be deterred by the $6.5 M qualifying offer after next season, I think that could scare off the Flames. If O'Reilly isn't a franchise player by then, he could easily go unqualified, meaning Calgary gives up the 1st and 3rd (potentially high picks) for ~120 games of O'Reilly. Risky play for sure.

That's a wisely structured offer sheet by the Flames (in terms of punitive measures to Colorado), one that I could really see the Avs passing up on. As much as some are saying Colorado would be deterred by the $6.5 M qualifying offer after next season, I think that could scare off the Flames. If O'Reilly isn't a franchise player by then, he could easily go unqualified, meaning Calgary gives up the 1st and 3rd (potentially high picks) for ~120 games of O'Reilly. Risky play for sure.

What does Calgary care? They are in dire need of a rebuild and refuse to do it. Giving away draft picks is a nice way to not rebuild.

Calgary needs to fire Feaster and hire Burke. At least there would be some form of a rebuild, instead of beating the dead horse.

Colorado matches. Boy, that was fast. He can't be dealt by the Avs for one calendar year. The trade deadline usually is in early March so there could be a small window to trade for him next year (for those who wanted the Habs to go after him).

Colorado matches. Boy, that was fast. He can't be dealt by the Avs for one calendar year. The trade deadline usually is in early March so there could be a small window to trade for him next year (for those who wanted the Habs to go after him).

The structure of the deal is gonna make him hard to move, barring he's on pace for 70+ pts this and next season. Next qualifying offer will have to be $6.5m and according to the new CBA the deal structured from that will have to be $6.5m or over per season. This might be one player that heads to UFA early if he doesn't produce.

This deal expires when he is two years from UFA but guarantees he will make at least 6.5 million until he becomes a UFA.(Either at the end of this deal with no qualifying offer or at the expiry of his next contract.)

Have to be curious as to what Feaster was thinking:

Pro - 55 point last year + good potential + big strong center to replace the wingers we are using at center

Con - Has zero bargaining power (RFA, No arbitration rights) + is 22 and only had one season of average scoring

Decision - Lets give him just less than we pay Iginla.

I can't believe Colorado matched this offer.

I listened to McGowan interview Scotty Bowman last night on that very subject. The gist of what Scotty said was that in most cases the compensation is not enough and the owner club is forced to match. The inequatity here as I see it is that bidding club is trying to structure a contract out of the reach of the club that owns the rights instead of the actual value of the player. I would urge the owners/players to revisit the compensation structure if they want this excercise palatable.

Imagine how the Avs must feel. Draft and develop a player. Try to stay within a salary structure. Keep costs down/appropriate. Only to have some turd from a crappy team that has no talent on the horizon come in and blow your offer out of the water. What was the point of the lockout anyway?

Something that appeared to slip through the cracks, had the Flames actually got O'Reilly, they would have had to waive him (and have him clear) to actually play since he played in the KHL this season. (The rule doesn't apply to teams signing their own players so Colorado doesn't have to do so.) I think Calgary may have dodged a bullet here.

If the Avs didn't match, O'Reilly would have had to go on Waivers before he could join Flames. (Flames would have lost him, and also lost the picks).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/03/01/calgary_flames_fortunate_colorado_avalanche_match_ryan_oreilly/

What a dysfunctional organization in Calgary.

Not sure, if I'm the Avs, if I match this. Calgary is bad - no, you don't understand - they're really, really, really bad. They could very well finish bottom-5. And the Avs would have had a 1st and 3rd rounder. O'Reilly is a good player, but I think I like those potential picks. Feaster is like Milbury or Houle or someone like that. He's going to do everything he can to destroy that franchise, and those two picks with Coloradolaridilliodo would have looked mighty tasty. Like cheesecake. What's worse is that they'll have to tender an offer of 6.5M to retain his services at the end of the contract. What what? O'Reilly is a very good player, don't get me wrong. But with the cap going down doobie doo down down, comma comma down I just don't see paying franchise dollars to a guy who isn't even the best player on your team.

Two GM's who are doing the best to dig their teams into the cellar. Always fun to watch, and moreso when it's not your team.