Lecavalier bought out...

TheDriveFor25

Guest Stogey24

Lecavalier is better at 70% than most of names I've seen come forward. I put him in a category along with Ryder, he is top six and free, all you have to do is sign him. I suspect that amount and term will send MB away. If MB stays consistant to the plan and doesn't yield to the pressure, he will pass on Vinny like he did with Ryder.

Didn't understand half of your post. The one thing I did get out of it was you comparing Vinny to Ryder. Not only can Lecavalier produce points; he can fight, hit, and win faceoffs. Age may be catching up with him, but he is twice the player ryder is. Vinny is instantly a fan favourite and the face of Montreal if he signs.

You have to try and get him.. Remember, the NHL is a business and bringing in Lecavalier would be huge for merchandise sales. I would order a jersey the day he signed...

I personnally would take Vinny in a nanosecond, but I don't see MB doing that. You are absolutely right it would be a boon for montreal. I am not keen in constructing a team based on potential sweater sales. I do believe Vinny would add much needed punch to the line up.

Didn't understand half of your post. The one thing I did get out of it was you comparing Vinny to Ryder. Not only can Lecavalier produce points; he can fight, hit, and win faceoffs. Age may be catching up with him, but he is twice the player ryder is. Vinny is instantly a fan favourite and the face of Montreal if he signs.

I think he is comparing the situation their in more than how good players they are. Both will most likely get paid alot more than any of them should be and therefore we will most likely skip it.

Guest Stogey24

I think he is comparing the situation their in more than how good players they are. Both will most likely get paid alot more than any of them should be and therefore we will most likely skip it.

Skip it?

Montreal is going after Lecavalier. He might not sign with Montreal; but they will make a push for him without a doubt. Moulson would love a guy like Lecavalier playing for his squad. I'm sure him and MB are having some serious conversations about it.

Why do I have a feeling we will sign him to a 7+M 5 year deal and in a year we will notice that we are stuck with another Scott Gomez-ish contract crippling us for years.

I would love to have Vinny, but I would not offer him more than 5m per over 3 years.

The big problem is that it really makes Deharnais redundant. With the length of his new contract, it seems like the organization has decided to commit to him. It's pretty rare for teams to move players they've just signed.

Ultimately, if Vinny really wants to stay in Tampa, he will probably just sign a 1 year deal somewhere and resign with Tampa the year after.

Guest Stogey24

Why do I have a feeling we will sign him to a 7+M 5 year deal and in a year we will notice that we are stuck with another Scott Gomez-ish contract crippling us for years.

There is no way Montreal signs him for that.

I would love to have Vinny, but I would not offer him more than 5m per over 3 years.

The big problem is that it really makes Deharnais redundant. With the length of his new contract, it seems like the organization has decided to commit to him. It's pretty rare for teams to move players they've just signed.

Ultimately, if Vinny really wants to stay in Tampa, he will probably just sign a 1 year deal somewhere and resign with Tampa the year after.

I'm sure it will be around a 5 year deal

Only bringing Eklund in this because of interesting speculations.

Reporting we're not in on Vinny. While he has size and can score, we've got 5 active centers on our team now, unless we move at least 1, I doubt we'll have much interest in Vinny. Have to wait until after the draft.

Also reporting we're frontrunners on Horton, Iginla and Briere. While there's no way we'd get all 3 or even 2 really, I'm down with the prospect of Horton or Iginla. Adds size and both are right wingers. If we could get Horton or Iginla, I wouldn't mind seeing Briere as well, but that would require at least 1 move from our forwards core.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Briere

Gionta - Eller - Iginla

Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Moen - White - Prust

Desharnais and maybe even Gionta gone to pickup a left winger or Leblanc.

Lecavalier has said he'd be willing to play wing. Assuming he's not just B.S.ing in order to drive up his value, that's what would make him pretty interesting to me, because what we really need - contrary to popular belief - is not the mythical 'big centre' but big, talented wingers. But you will have to give a long contract at significant dollars, obviously. And who knows whether he will adjust well to the wing? (Although it's a less demanding position than C, so that shouldn't be a problem). Meanwhile, with Vinny at the wing, you have a guy who can step in and serve as a C in the event that you need help on the draw or Eller, Galy, or Pleks get hurt. There's a ton to like about that scenario. Sure, he's aging; he's also big, strong, with championship pedigree, and was also close to a PPG player last season.

We're back, in a way, to the same old issue: do you want us to go after big-name UFAs or not? If yes, you WILL have to accept overpayment and excessive contract length. That's not the question; the question is whether you like Vinny as a C/W option more than the other options out there. If you don't want us to pursue big UFAs, you will have to accept teams we hate vacuuming up all the available talent. That's life in the cap system.

Skip it?

Montreal is going after Lecavalier. He might not sign with Montreal; but they will make a push for him without a doubt. Moulson would love a guy like Lecavalier playing for his squad. I'm sure him and MB are having some serious conversations about it.

I seriously hope Molson is not involved in hockey opps at all if he is the Habs are doomed.

You have to try and get him.. Remember, the NHL is a business and bringing in Lecavalier would be huge for merchandise sales. I would order a jersey the day he signed...

The Habs make enough money and sell enough crap. They don't need Lecavalier to print money...they already make a shitload.

Again, I'm not against Vinny coming to Montreal...as long as its at the right price!

Guest Stogey24

I seriously hope Molson is not involved in hockey opps at all if he is the Habs are doomed.

Like someone had previously posted; there is a business side too. How nice would habs jersey look with Lecavalier posted on the back. I'm sure they would sell a couple

To spend the money on Vinny I think the owner gets a small say in the matter.

I want us to look at the players with less starcaliber being bought out. Might be a few gems there to be picked under the radar of the big names.

I like the way you think. I'm sure next season there will be a few teams who signed the buyouts who are flying under the radar, and everybody will say "why didn't we sign him?"

Ok let me explain. My comparison is about their situation relative to the Canadians. Both are top six, both are aging, both could be had by just signing and both propose the similar problem to the Canadian, that being contract amount and term heading into their waning years.

Lecavalier has said he'd be willing to play wing. Assuming he's not just B.S.ing in order to drive up his value, that's what would make him pretty interesting to me, because what we really need - contrary to popular belief - is not the mythical 'big centre' but big, talented wingers. But you will have to give a long contract at significant dollars, obviously. And who knows whether he will adjust well to the wing? (Although it's a less demanding position than C, so that shouldn't be a problem). Meanwhile, with Vinny at the wing, you have a guy who can step in and serve as a C in the event that you need help on the draw or Eller, Galy, or Pleks get hurt. There's a ton to like about that scenario. Sure, he's aging; he's also big, strong, with championship pedigree, and was also close to a PPG player last season.

We're back, in a way, to the same old issue: do you want us to go after big-name UFAs or not? If yes, you WILL have to accept overpayment and excessive contract length. That's not the question; the question is whether you like Vinny as a C/W option more than the other options out there. If you don't want us to pursue big UFAs, you will have to accept teams we hate vacuuming up all the available talent. That's life in the cap system.

Yeah, He would be a good fit in Toronto or Buffalo. RUE the DAY!

Ima go out on a limb here..

Im gonna say...

Lecavalier signs with the Habs.. 5 yrs at 5.75..

Beliveau has his #4 taken down from the rafters and he is named Captain. (after Gio leaves or is traded)

..shhiiii..

I wouldn't give him Beliveau's number 4.... no Way.

I don't mind Lecavalier... woudl even give him 5.5. for 4 years.

But no to Beliveau's number.

He can take number 44, and buy Drewiske a nice Rolex.

I wouldn't give him Beliveau's number 4.... no Way.

I don't mind Lecavalier... woudl even give him 5.5. for 4 years.

But no to Beliveau's number.

He can take number 44, and buy Drewiske a nice Rolex.

I agree with you, but I think Gros Bill really has lots of respect and admiration for Vinny.. and obviously vice-versa..

I doubt it.. but I think its a worthy concept for limb dwelling..

Even if Beliveau himself would give me his #4 from the rafters, as a true habs fan, I'd turn it down.

As I would expect a true pro player would do.

Like someone had previously posted; there is a business side too. How nice would habs jersey look with Lecavalier posted on the back. I'm sure they would sell a couple

I hope you are incorrect. Selling jerseys should have nothing to do with signing players in a cap World

To spend the money on Vinny I think the owner gets a small say in the matter.

The only say the owner should have to the general manager is if he is allowed to spend right to the cap and if he is allowed to do buy outs. That's it that's all.

Ima go out on a limb here..

Im gonna say...

Lecavalier signs with the Habs.. 5 yrs at 5.75..

Beliveau has his #4 taken down from the rafters and he is named Captain. (after Gio leaves or is traded)

..shhiiii..

If they did that and the Habs ever won a cup with vinny it would be the stuff of legend.

My God. how did this #4 idea ever come up? This is sheer blasphemy.

IT'S ONLY BLASPHEMOUS IF THE CANADIENS AND BELIVEAU BOTH DIDN'T WANT IT.