When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Habs coaches that haven't been as good as Therrien:

Cunneyworth

Martin

Gainey

Carbonneau (don't even go there, he had a hot powerplay when the rules were being enforced to the tune of a billionty minors a game)

Vigneault

Julien

Tremblay

You have to go back twenty years to find a coach that's done as well as Therrien. Find another axe to grind. This is a team that's bulit to roll three lines and Lars Eller is in the tank. That's something to be unhappy about.

If I have one qualm, it's DLR as a third line center. He's better defensively than Eller, but he doesn't produce. He should be in the minors for the rest of this year and maybe next years. Unless we want another Kyle Chipchura,

I could disagree with you but what would be the point?

I could disagree with you but what would be the point?

Carbs had price a pimple faced rookie and a hot powerplay................something therrien has only seen in other teams.

Carbs broke 100 points with less than therrien has. You may not be able to say carbs was better, but you cant say MT was either.

Therrien had price as the best goalie in the world and the habs would have 91 points this year with Don coaching them. (and Dons powerplay would be no worse) :rofl:

I don't think it's a coaching issue as much as it may be a courage issue. Because it sure as heck seems like we put our tails in between our legs when the going gets rough. Every team is coming with the same gameplan against us now and I bet the Islanders coming out hitting everything sat night. We're borderline spineless ffs

Carbs had price a pimple faced rookie and a hot powerplay................something therrien has only seen in other teams.

Carbs broke 100 points with less than therrien has. You may not be able to say carbs was better, but you cant say MT was either.

Therrien had price as the best goalie in the world and the habs would have 91 points this year with Don coaching them. (and Dons powerplay would be no worse) :rofl:

Right, Don. Nothing against Don, great poster, but clearly he wouldn't have the Habs in the exact same standing as Therrien.

Carbonneau can't sniff Therriens socks. Has he even had an interview since he got canned? Fired by his best friends and mentor of 25 years. Awesome coach.

Therrien's tactics aren't great, he was hired as a motivator and pass kicker to a young team that went off the rails.

One thing I'd like to see, is an end to this idea that Carbo was some great coach. He wasn't. His team played with zero structure. It quit on him completely in '09. Nor did he develop young players well (Kostitsyns, Ribeiro, etc. - non merci). And he hasn't come close to an NHL job since then. Great player, absolutely but as a coach he stunk out the joint.

Gainey was a pretty good coach, I thought, and so was Julien. (And Vigenault before that). Therrien was an idiot on the first go-round, but has clearly learned a lot, which happens sometimes.

One thing I'd like to see, is an end to this idea that Carbo was some great coach. He wasn't. His team played with zero structure. It quit on him completely in '09. Nor did he develop young players well (Kostitsyns, Ribeiro, etc. - non merci). And he hasn't come close to an NHL job since then. Great player, absolutely but as a coach he stunk out the joint.

Gainey was a pretty good coach, I thought, and so was Julien. (And Vigenault before that). Therrien was an idiot on the first go-round, but has clearly learned a lot, which happens sometimes.

I think Carbo was a better coach than you give him credit for but we can agree to disagree. The team didn't quit on him Koivu did. Or at least that was the rumour. The Koivu/Kovalev clash hurt the team badly. Bob solved that the next summer Koivu was told to go away, I think that speaks volumes.

I think Carbo was a better coach than you give him credit for but we can agree to disagree. The team didn't quit on him Koivu did. Or at least that was the rumour. The Koivu/Kovalev clash hurt the team badly. Bob solved that the next summer Koivu was told to go away, I think that speaks volumes.

Glad you brought that up...Koivu was killing them, both by continuing to masquerade as a #1C and by not being able to lead flies to poop.

i just want a high 2 man forecheck. i want to keep possession and My God if they dump the puck in and chase it any more I'm gonna freak,.. sure price has to bail us out all night. MT has us retreating and collapsing in front of him the moment the puck is dropped.

every good game the habs played this season was when we attacked the other team when they had the puck. now we just withdraw and protect our goal... what happened to turning pucks over at their blue line clogging up the centre ice. Sh*t when you have an all universe net minder maybe you should take a more aggressive approach cause you can count on 31 to make a few extra stops. if we just drop back sure the other team is gonna have 30+ shots a night... they will take what we are offering them. MB goes out and gets puck moving defensmen and we have one of the best puck handling goalies. take away the neutral zone and blue line and FORCE them to dump the puck then have price and your puck movers do there job... MT heres a line juggle for you

patch galchenyuk gallagher a scoring line

prust plex DPS a checking line not 3.5 of them

DD Eller Weise a third line

Flynn DLR Mitchell a responsible 4th line

PAP

markov subban

emelin petry

beaulieau gonchar

gilbert

pateryn

weaver

Guest Stogey24

Eller needs to get off the third line. Get this guy going, or at least try to. Centre him with Pacioretty. Pac-Eller-Gallgher. The line juggling has have never landed with that as the top line. Worth a shot

i just want a high 2 man forecheck. i want to keep possession and My God if they dump the puck in and chase it any more I'm gonna freak,.. sure price has to bail us out all night. MT has us retreating and collapsing in front of him the moment the puck is dropped.

every good game the habs played this season was when we attacked the other team when they had the puck. now we just withdraw and protect our goal... what happened to turning pucks over at their blue line clogging up the centre ice. Sh*t when you have an all universe net minder maybe you should take a more aggressive approach cause you can count on 31 to make a few extra stops. if we just drop back sure the other team is gonna have 30+ shots a night... they will take what we are offering them. MB goes out and gets puck moving defensmen and we have one of the best puck handling goalies. take away the neutral zone and blue line and FORCE them to dump the puck then have price and your puck movers do there job... MT heres a line juggle for you

patch galchenyuk gallagher a scoring line

prust plex DPS a checking line not 3.5 of them

DD Eller Weise a third line

Flynn DLR Mitchell a responsible 4th line

PAP

markov subban

emelin petry

beaulieau gonchar

gilbert

pateryn

weaver

I would exchange Pateryn for Gonchar and give it a shot.

I really don't get this whole nonsense of the Habs being a great defensive team. Yes, they have the lowest goals against in the league. But the defence, despite having studs like Subban and Markov are not the reason. Carey Price is the reason. Without Price we are a borderline playoff/wild card team. Price this year is the best goalie in the WORLD. Rinne had a great start, but Price with the exception of 4 or 5 games this year has given the habs a chance to win every game he's played and has been the main reason for a majority of our wins.

The number of point blank saves he's made, the number of break-aways he's stopped has been unreal.

On the other hand, MT has stifled the strenght of our team - break-out ability of Markov/Subban and an emerging Beaulieu. Other than MaxPac, we don't really have a finisher, but with our speed, if the team would be allowed to play to its strengths - speed, puck carrying ability of Subban/Beaulieu, passing/hockey smarts of Markov, speed of our forwards, we should be exploiting Price's ability to stop the puck to be much more aggressive team offensively (like TBL), we may not have as many finishers as TBL, but we should be producing at a much higher rate than we are.

Watching Karlsson last game, i was wondering, how much more of an impact Subban could have, if he was allowed to join the rush as much as Karlsson does.

The whole western road trip was a defensive disaster, with point blank chances on Price and Tokarski. If Price wasn't lights out, MT would have been fired in November. You could even see price's frustration on Tuesday. The guy plays 60 minutes of shutout hockey and the team in front of him can't get a friggin shot in OT!!!

You look at other teams like Calgary, have Gudreau and Monahan put in offensive roles, where they can play to their strengths. Monahan and Gudreau are both going to outscore Galchenyuk. In Montreal, we throw our young players on checking lines and try to turn them in to Brian Skrudland. Than on top of that we trade for more friggin 3rd/4th liners. Just don't see the logic of handcuffing the development of skilled young players by forcing them into checking roles (JDLR) and than also trading for more 3rd/4th liners, while Weisse, Prust get prime time with our skilled players. Let our young skilled guys breakout offensively and try to make them more responsible defensively over time, instead of trying to turn a skilled guy with potential to become a good offensive player into a defensive player.

It's a joke to hear MT talk about defensive responsibility when you see night after night, Price bailing out weak defensive coverage.

IMO, Price should win this year's Hart trophy and is gauranteed the Vezina. Without Price the habs may not be in the playoffs. The only other player that is close now is Tavares.

Since 2012-2013

Anaheim Ducks - 126 wins

Penguins - 126

St. Louis Blues - 124

Chicago Blackhawks - 122

Boston Bruins - 117

Montreal Canadiens - 117

Whatever Coach Mike's "system is", combined with Price's play over the last year and a half really, has the Habs tied for 5th in wins in the NHL in this time frame.

All with a transitioning roster, from the worst Habs team in recent memory, right up to now, mired in a slump, yet STILL TIED FOR 1st IN THE EAST AND 2 POINTS OUT OF 1ST OVERALL.

Therrien gets the blame for the slumps and bad times, but never much credit from 75% of us Habs fans.

His much maligned "system" gets shredded at least in part, by the average fan who really has no F'n clue about how to coach a midget hockey team, let alone the toughest place to be an NHL coach, with a recognition to Leaf land.

Sooner or later, maybe the obvious statements from the Habs players, about not executing, or winning battles, or playing the right way, or not being physical enough will sink in to the bread head fans like over at EoTP, where 1st overall doesn't mean anything so long as Therrien is coaching.

How is Therrien's "system" so flawed, when it is directly aimed at puck possession, and control of the neutral zone, much like Babcock's, with the focus on the team's speed, and yeah, Carey's ability to not only stop pucks, but play the puck as well.

Some of us need to sit back, take 'er easy, and wait for the player's to actually EXECUTE AND WIN BATTLES, before laying the blame at coach Mike's feet after every loss.

ICEWATER's post about lack of fight, and physical will to win battles, is looking to me like the post with the most real insight as to this team's problems in the slump.

We all know this team has Character, and we all know that when they are right, they are more than competitive, maybe they are letting their foot off the gas a bit this late, maybe they are walking wounded a bit, and maybe it's the new players, and adjustments needed to get up to our potential, maybe, maybe, maybe...

The player's need to play, and they need to win those battles, instead of taking the last 2 periods off like vs Ottawa.

It ain't always the coach, or the "system", it's sometimes(and more often than not) EXECUTION and player's effort.

I agree KO, the Coach and his system has been doing quite well in MT part II. Who knows what it is, but sometimes the WILL is there, sometimes it isn't. Could be that some of the boys are a little dinged up, but it's very noticeable when they're not willing to compete. Cannot run the system if the effort isn't there. Only thing we can do is wait it out, and pray that the boys will find their jam soon

Make no mistake, the carping from the analydiots like Berkshire are a lover's lament that the team isn't PERFECT. Personally, I think people like him who share the attitude that sports are all about being right and carrying out personal rivalries are better suited to careers in law or interests like debate and politics. I think it's kind of embarrassing for the team's fan base to be represented by a complete and bullheaded moron. There's actually a site out there from way back, http://berkshireonthehabs.blogspot.com/ from before he started writing for EOTP. Let's just say his analysis isn't much when he can't lean on his pet subjects like fancy stats and MT bashing. (Comparing Andrei Kostitsyn to Jeff Carter for one)

What I've seen through this slump with my tactical expertise of never playing or coaching hockey is an issue getting through the neutral zone. Their breakout is really predictable. The defensemen make their pass before they leave the defensive zone intstead of carrying the puck. This doesn't maximize the strengths of Subban and Markov, but what it does is reduce the neutral zone turnovers that lead to odd man rushes. That's a big strength of this team, and why they've been very defensively stringy.

Also, I've seen that quote about the Habs and shots laughing about the Habs being a defensive team. There's something confusing about arguing that a team who has the least goals allowed isnt' a great defensive team. How does that make a lick of sense?

Guest Stogey24

Therriens system isn't aimed at puck possession. They play a quick transition game. Dump the puck in. try and get a shot on net, pull back.

Therrien gets fired when the team is seen to under-achieve repeatedly in the regular season or when the Habs repeatedly (at least two seasons) do very well in the regular season but fail to get far in the playoffs. SEE: Bylsma, Dan who got fired because the Penguins were seen by the owner to be underachieving in the playoffs

Make no mistake, the carping from the analydiots like Berkshire are a lover's lament that the team isn't PERFECT. Personally, I think people like him who share the attitude that sports are all about being right and carrying out personal rivalries are better suited to careers in law or interests like debate and politics. I think it's kind of embarrassing for the team's fan base to be represented by a complete and bullheaded moron. There's actually a site out there from way back, http://berkshireonthehabs.blogspot.com/ from before he started writing for EOTP. Let's just say his analysis isn't much when he can't lean on his pet subjects like fancy stats and MT bashing. (Comparing Andrei Kostitsyn to Jeff Carter for one)

What I've seen through this slump with my tactical expertise of never playing or coaching hockey is an issue getting through the neutral zone. Their breakout is really predictable. The defensemen make their pass before they leave the defensive zone intstead of carrying the puck. This doesn't maximize the strengths of Subban and Markov, but what it does is reduce the neutral zone turnovers that lead to odd man rushes. That's a big strength of this team, and why they've been very defensively stringy.

Also, I've seen that quote about the Habs and shots laughing about the Habs being a defensive team. There's something confusing about arguing that a team who has the least goals allowed isnt' a great defensive team. How does that make a lick of sense?

If the habs were a great defensive team the difference between Price's numbers and Tokarski's numbers wouldn't be so wide. You look at other good defensive teams like NYR or CGY, who are considered to be solid defensively, but also give up a lot of shots, there goalie stats are about the same.

I'm not an advanced stats guy, but i do look at the basic stats and the eyeball test of what i'm seeing game in game out.

If the habs were giving up shots from the outside, like a lot of people here are claiming, the shots wouldn't be the issue, but that's not the case. Price has been a human highlight reel all season.

#GOALIE GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO SA GA SV% G A PIM

CAREY PRICE 55 55 3303 1.93 37 14 4 7 1634 106 .935 0 1 2

DUSTIN TOKARSKI 14 13 820 2.71 5 5 3 0 426 37 .913 0 1 0

With Price the habs are an elite team, with their backup their a .500 team - Same friggin defensive system.

NYR:

GOALIE GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO SA GA SV% G A PIM

HENRIK LUNDQVIST 39 39 2321 2.25 25 11 3 5 1119 87 .922 0 1 0

CAM TALBOT 28 26 1614 2.23 16 6 4 5 790 60 .924 0 0 0

Calgary Flames:

JONAS HILLER 44 38 2449 2.43 21 17 4 1 1158 99 .915 0 0 0

KARRI RAMO 27 25 1372 2.58 13 7 1 2 681 59 .913 0 0 0

Therriens system isn't aimed at puck possession. They play a quick transition game. Dump the puck in. try and get a shot on net, pull back.

Which is the fundamental problem when you have elite puck moving dmen like SUbban and Markov and another up and coming one in Beaulieu. You look at Calgary and NYR, their defence drives the play and their forwards carry the puck in. Both are fast teams that use the speed to enter the zone. MT wants the whole friggin team to play like Brian Skrudland. Which is fine for the Brian Skrudland's of the world, but is a waste of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and a lot of the young bulldogs that have been in the lineup.

The only consistent scorer is Maxpac and he usually scores his goals when the he comes into the zone with speed - not from the dump and chace we use 80% of the time.

That is a system? Dump shoot and fork off? I thought that was kitty bar the door. Yes this team can play a transition game and have done so in many games, but once that doesn't happen, they are screwed cause if the other team, like the last 6 games play a hard forechecking game it won't work so good. We have to adapt and improvise, something that Le Genius does by changing up the lines. They have been very successful this year but I don't see this team beating TBL or the rags. They are simply too easy to play against. We need goal scoring, you can't win every game 1-0. Especially when you can't score 1. Habs 29 is right on the money regarding shots on goal. Is is Price saving the defence or the defence saving Price? I think you all know the answer to that.

#GOALIE GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO SA GA SV% G A PIM

CAREY PRICE 55 55 3303 1.93 37 14 4 7 1634 106 .935 0 1 2

DUSTIN TOKARSKI 14 13 820 2.71 5 5 3 0 426 37 .913 0 1 0

With Price the habs are an elite team, with their backup their a .500 team - Same friggin defensive system.

NYR:

HENRIK LUNDQVIST 39 39 2321 2.25 25 11 3 5 1119 87 .922 0 1 0

CAM TALBOT 28 26 1614 2.23 16 6 4 5 790 60 .924 0 0 0

Calgary Flames:

JONAS HILLER 44 38 2449 2.43 21 17 4 1 1158 99 .915 0 0 0

KARRI RAMO 27 25 1372 2.58 13 7 1 2 681 59 .913 0 0 0

So teams with good backups have better numbers than teams with not-so-good backups? That's not necessarily system-based, that's talent-based. Tokarski's on the low-end of NHL backup goalies in terms of quality while Talbot is among the best if not the best. Of course one will have a better record and GAA/SV% than the other. That's not really the fairest comparison.

In terms of measuring something that does pertain to the system, look at the SA/game that each goalie faces.

Price: 29.7

Tokarski: 30.4

Lundqvist: 28.7

Talbot: 28.2

Hiller: 26.3

Ramo: 25.2

Looking at the Habs, they allow a similar number of shots per game no matter who's in net. Thus, the difference in record stems from the fact that one is an elite goalie and the other is a fringe backup. That has very little to do with the system, just that one is a lot better than the other. Heck, Montreal allows more shots with their backup in net, something that can't be said for the other teams you cited.

Guest Stogey24

That is a system? Dump shoot and fork off? I thought that was kitty bar the door. Yes this team can play a transition game and have done so in many games, but once that doesn't happen, they are screwed cause if the other team, like the last 6 games play a hard forechecking game it won't work so good. We have to adapt and improvise, something that Le Genius does by changing up the lines. They have been very successful this year but I don't see this team beating TBL or the rags. They are simply too easy to play against. We need goal scoring, you can't win every game 1-0. Especially when you can't score 1. Habs 29 is right on the money regarding shots on goal. Is is Price saving the defence or the defence saving Price? I think you all know the answer to that.

There is absolutely no zone time. The team isn't even getting the chance to set up. Its just a one and done in the offensive zone, if that. We have tons of talent on this team, the structure has just gone to shit the past 5 or 6 games

Since 2012-2013

Anaheim Ducks - 126 wins

Penguins - 126

St. Louis Blues - 124

Chicago Blackhawks - 122

Boston Bruins - 117

Montreal Canadiens - 117

Whatever Coach Mike's "system is", combined with Price's play over the last year and a half really, has the Habs tied for 5th in wins in the NHL in this time frame.

All with a transitioning roster, from the worst Habs team in recent memory, right up to now, mired in a slump, yet STILL TIED FOR 1st IN THE EAST AND 2 POINTS OUT OF 1ST OVERALL.

Therrien gets the blame for the slumps and bad times, but never much credit from 75% of us Habs fans.

His much maligned "system" gets shredded at least in part, by the average fan who really has no F'n clue about how to coach a midget hockey team, let alone the toughest place to be an NHL coach, with a recognition to Leaf land.

Sooner or later, maybe the obvious statements from the Habs players, about not executing, or winning battles, or playing the right way, or not being physical enough will sink in to the bread head fans like over at EoTP, where 1st overall doesn't mean anything so long as Therrien is coaching.

How is Therrien's "system" so flawed, when it is directly aimed at puck possession, and control of the neutral zone, much like Babcock's, with the focus on the team's speed, and yeah, Carey's ability to not only stop pucks, but play the puck as well.

Some of us need to sit back, take 'er easy, and wait for the player's to actually EXECUTE AND WIN BATTLES, before laying the blame at coach Mike's feet after every loss.

ICEWATER's post about lack of fight, and physical will to win battles, is looking to me like the post with the most real insight as to this team's problems in the slump.

We all know this team has Character, and we all know that when they are right, they are more than competitive, maybe they are letting their foot off the gas a bit this late, maybe they are walking wounded a bit, and maybe it's the new players, and adjustments needed to get up to our potential, maybe, maybe, maybe...

The player's need to play, and they need to win those battles, instead of taking the last 2 periods off like vs Ottawa.

It ain't always the coach, or the "system", it's sometimes(and more often than not) EXECUTION and player's effort.

Love this post. It all goes back to some people's illogical mentality that the Habs are successful despite MT, but when they fail it is because of him.

It's like saying a baseball team that has the least runs against is all the pitching staff, and they aren't defensive at all. Even pitchers use their teammates to pitch to their strengths. Team sports are team sports.

If the habs were a great defensive team the difference between Price's numbers and Tokarski's numbers wouldn't be so wide. You look at other good defensive teams like NYR or CGY, who are considered to be solid defensively, but also give up a lot of shots, there goalie stats are about the same.

Comparing the numbers of arguably the best goalie in the world to a borderline back up doesn't make any sense at all.

Guest Stogey24

So teams with good backups have better numbers than teams with not-so-good backups? That's not necessarily system-based, that's talent-based. Tokarski's on the low-end of NHL backup goalies in terms of quality while Talbot is among the best if not the best. Of course one will have a better record and GAA/SV% than the other. That's not really the fairest comparison.

In terms of measuring something that does pertain to the system, look at the SA/game that each goalie faces.

Price: 29.7

Tokarski: 30.4

Lundqvist: 28.7

Talbot: 28.2

Hiller: 26.3

Ramo: 25.2

Looking at the Habs, they allow a similar number of shots per game no matter who's in net. Thus, the difference in record stems from the fact that one is an elite goalie and the other is a fringe backup. That has very little to do with the system, just that one is a lot better than the other. Heck, Montreal allows more shots with their backup in net, something that can't be said for the other teams you cited.

I think your right about Toke being a fringe back up. The L.A game where it went to shootout was almost embarrassing to watch. Guys were picking spots like it was practice

Some great posts and divergent views on here - yet no personal insults. :thumbs_up: That's Habsworld at its best.

I tend to agree with Habs29 that it would be great to see the Habs' Big Three defencemen rushing the puck in a more freewheeling way. Subban can completely discombobulate other teams when he does that, and Beaulieu has also shows flashes of doing the same thing. That's a huge, under-utilized asset our club has, defencemen attacking from the rush. It does seem puzzling that a team with offensive "issues" would deny itself this powerful tool. On another level, it also deprives fans of watching some of the most electrifying talent in hockey on full display.

That said, you know who takes a similarly stifling, low-risk approach to systems? Mike Babcock, a.k.a., Mr. PK Subban is Not Good Enough to Be an Olympic Regular because He's Too Risky. So Therrien is in good company with this constipated approach.

I get the aggravation, but the bottom line is that Therrien has gotten good results, so it's silly to fire him at this juncture. This is especially true given that - as I keep saying - whoever replaces Therrien will almost certainly bring a new set of strengths and weaknesses to the table. He will not be replaced by Scotty Bowman. Instead it'll be some other run-of-the-mill, perfectly competent but not stellar bilingual coach. The whining, complaining, endless micro-analysis and overall bitching will continue unabated. So what's the point?

I think your right about Toke being a fringe back up. The L.A game where it went to shootout was almost embarrassing to watch. Guys were picking spots like it was practice

Talbot wasn't considered being much better choice as a backup and Ramo was dumped by Colarado for a reason.

I actually don't think Tokarski has been that bad. The difference has been he is not Price. As far as the LAK game went, Takorski got us to the shootout. That game should have been a blow out.

If you ask me if we had Hillier, Rammo, Talbot, heck even Lundquist in net, our record would probably be much worse than it has been with Price. I don't think Tokarski has been the problem, I'm refuting the claim that we are a great defensive team. We are an average to leaky defensive team with the best goalie in the league. That is the great defensive system - rely on Price to bail us out every game.