When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Guest Stogey24

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but apparently Bergevin had a private meeting with the "leaders" on the team, without Therrien 

I'd wager a team player/peer evaluation rather than a coach evaluation. Bergevin and Therrien have discussed moving someone, and he's gauging the player reaction.

Or, he could be asking how they like the weather in Arizona today.

33 minutes ago, huzer said:

I'd wager a team player/peer evaluation rather than a coach evaluation. Bergevin and Therrien have discussed moving someone, and he's gauging the player reaction.

Or, he could be asking how they like the weather in Arizona today.

I always thought that management should consult with selected "team leaders" before making major trades - Ray Ferraro has suggested as much, on the grounds that you know more about a guy from playing with and against him than any scout or GM can discern from above. The same could be true regarding coaching changes. But I've never heard of a team actually doing it. I suspect what went on here was Bergevin asking the leadership core what the hell is going on and impressing upon them the need to turn it around.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

One thing I've always given Therrien respect for is that he always tries to empower a blue collar player into a bigger role. Armstrong, Weise, Byron, all examples of guys most teams would never try on the top six and he did. Same with Cube in top defensive situations. The problem is that Therrien doesn't know when to quit. Even his virtue is a vice. When better options exist he goes to his hard workers, even when they are hardly working. He punishes skill in favour for tenacity, even though often tenacity is just burning rubber. There's always going to be people who have good things to say about a coach like that, but a coach like that will only go so far.

There's absolutely no excuse for David Desharnais to play the most time out of all of the centres on the team and get three minutes on the powerplay because he decided to play four lines equally. It's a nice concept in theory but when you don't have enough talent to spread across four lines, doing it just looks like desperation and hoping for luck. That's Therrien right now. He doesn't trust his skill players enough to play the defence he wants so he doesn't care who gets it done for him. He will take results from anybody. And that's no recipe for success.

Le Genius simply does not have the skills to turn a slump around, his idea is turn on the blender,and play wee Davey. The system goes out the window and he panics. Just my opinion though.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

. I suspect what went on here was Bergevin asking the leadership core what the hell is going on and impressing upon them the need to turn it around.

And here I thought they had coaches to that. Silly me.

2 hours ago, habs rule said:

And here I thought they had coaches to that. Silly me.

Oh come on, GMs have these sorts of sit-downs with the players now and again, especially when a team is struggling. It does seem odd to exclude the coach from the meeting, though. That's suggestive, at least, that MB wants "unfiltered" feedback on what's eating the team and might even be willing to consider that Therrien isn't the second coming of Toe Blake.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh come on, GMs have these sorts of sit-downs with the players now and again, especially when a team is struggling. It does seem odd to exclude the coach from the meeting, though. That's suggestive, at least, that MB wants "unfiltered" feedback on what's eating the team and might even be willing to consider that Therrien isn't the second coming of Toe Blake.

Apparently these types of sitdowns with star players, without the coach, are common for Bergevin. 

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh come on, GMs have these sorts of sit-downs with the players now and again, especially when a team is struggling. It does seem odd to exclude the coach from the meeting, though.

He's likely taking what they said and reported it back to Therrien.

According to McKenzie, Bergevin is in it for the long haul with Therrien. And as I've suspected, if you fire Therrien, you gotta also fire Bergevin and all of his golf buddies he brought in. Bergevin might eventually fire Therrien to save his job, but when he does it he'll already be calling some teams to be their new assistant GM.

I had hoped this thread would die by now, team isn't bad at all...

One losing streak with a new coach, and some of you would be demanding his head roll as well.

What I hate most is constant management upheaval, so I am content, at least until the day comes we are eliminated from the playoffs this year :)

One could argue it's more of a roster problem(Bergevin's fault mostly) we have had under Therrien's watch this time round couldn't one?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, KoRP said:

One losing streak with a new coach, and some of you would be demanding his head roll as well.

What I hate most is constant management upheaval, so I am content, at least until the day comes we are eliminated from the playoffs this year :)

One could argue it's more of a roster problem(Bergevin's fault mostly) we have had under Therrien's watch this time round couldn't one?

Sane comment. Of course the grass is greener under a team coached by a Julien, Gallant, Vigneault, or Crawford maybe, But, still same roster and likely end with similar results. Bergevin could strike gold in a new coach, but they are in 1st place and almost are a lock for playoffs, so a firing is likely the off-season at the earliest.

2 hours ago, KoRP said:

It can't die, it has become a mainstay, lose 4 games, out comes fire MT thread.

However there is no way MB is firing his foxhole buddy. They golf together, drink Scotch together. Nope really after last year when it was obvious the coach was clueless as to what to do. He did not fire him then, he ain't never firing him. Besides they are in 1st place in the Atlantic.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Mikey is 3rd longest tenure coach now, behind just Tippet & Quennville 

485gms and counting!:clap:

And one of those coaches has alot of cups now. The other is coach of a team with almost no pressure and fans... 

4 hours ago, DON said:

Mikey is 3rd longest tenure coach now, behind just Tippet & Quennville 

485gms and counting!:clap:

That's kinda crazy.  One thing that Bergevin seems to have done well is foster a stable management culture.  By all acounts, the Habs are a very classy and well-run organization, as they should be.  Therrien is a big part of that.

Then again, we don't have the luxury of hiring any coach available, so in most cases it's better to just stick with the devil we know.

8 hours ago, Neech said:

That's kinda crazy.  One thing that Bergevin seems to have done well is foster a stable management culture.  By all acounts, the Habs are a very classy and well-run organization, as they should be.  Therrien is a big part of that.

Then again, we don't have the luxury of hiring any coach available, so in most cases it's better to just stick with the devil we know.

It's called making a virtue of necessity. However, the fact is that over his tenure, the Habs have consistently achieved the results one would expect from their talent level, and there have been few signs of the team failing to buy into his message or his system. The only fundamental blemish was his inability to appreciate the massive strengths of PK Subban, treating him as a problem to be fixed rather than an asset to be embraced -  an attitude I still condmen, but which he survived. Basically he has avoided most of the pitfalls that lead to firings. He may not be a mastermind, but he has clearly figured out how to hold down an NHL coaching job- which is no mean feat, given the average life span of NHL coaches.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's called making a virtue of necessity. However, the fact is that over his tenure, the Habs have consistently achieved the results one would expect from their talent level, and there have been few signs of the team failing to buy into his message or his system. The only fundamental blemish was his inability to appreciate the massive strengths of PK Subban, treating him as a problem to be fixed rather than an asset to be embraced -  an attitude I still condmen, but which he survived. Basically he has avoided most of the pitfalls that lead to firings. He may not be a mastermind, but he has clearly figured out how to hold down an NHL coaching job- which is no mean feat, given the average life span of NHL coaches.

Well put, cept of course that there 3rd sentence. ;)

21 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

A loss tomorrow and I think it's going to hit the fan. 

Nope, not going to happen. MB will take all the blame, can't blame Le Genius, he is just doing what MB tells him.

They'll lose tomorrow, i doubt anything happens. 

MB i think has 4 or 5 2nd rounders, he'll do the typical trade 2 2nd rounders for someone. 

i think they should sell off dead weight, 

We're all in this year. Shea's, Radu's and Price's contract etc.  will force our hand. I can't see our chances being much better next year.  

MB has to balance his loyalty to MT against the impending contract situation not to mention his own legacy. I want to see how cutthroat he actually is.

12 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

wish we could pull a switch: muller and MT trade jobs

Honestly, all you have to do is fire MT and hire a francophone 'associate coach.' Muller calls the shots but they either do joint press conferences where the French guy answers questions in French,  or else the associate coach becomes the media face of the coaching staff. This would build on Ottawa's model to be an innovative workaround of the Affirmative Action policy, allowing us to have Muller - or any other desirable Anglo head coach. 

Note that I'm just saying this is how it can be done. I don't believe MB will do it until he has clear evidence that the team has tuned Therrien out. And even then, he might not do it, preferring to trade away malcontents rather than compromise his ideal of 'organizational stability' or his Alpha Male status and the guy who sets terms rather than reacts to them.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Honestly, all you have to do is fire MT and hire a francophone 'associate coach.' Muller calls the shots but they either do joint press conferences where the French guy answers questions in French,  or else the associate coach becomes the media face of the coaching staff. This would build on Ottawa's model to be an innovative workaround of the Affirmative Action policy, allowing us to have Muller - or any other desirable Anglo head coach. 

Note that I'm just saying this is how it can be done. I don't believe MB will do it until he has clear evidence that the team has tuned Therrien out. And even then, he might not do it, preferring to trade away malcontents rather than compromise his ideal of 'organizational stability' or his Alpha Male status and the guy who sets terms rather than reacts to them.

The sad part is that we must have a francophone coach, to bullshite the reporters after the game. The system was working really good tonite blah blah. The system was not being played properly tonite, blah blah. For this crap we have to take what coach we can get who speaks french? We make winning the cup that much harder for this crap? How about we appoint 1 of the asst coaches, chief spokesman for feeding bull crap to the reporters.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

The sad part is that we must have a francophone coach, to bullshite the reporters after the game. The system was working really good tonite blah blah. The system was not being played properly tonite, blah blah. For this crap we have to take what coach we can get who speaks french? We make winning the cup that much harder for this crap? How about we appoint 1 of the asst coaches, chief spokesman for feeding bull crap to the reporters.

Dead Horse alert!!!:tumbleweed:

• Upvote 1