Vanek traded to Montreal

dlbalr

Collberg is a big loss but he was small. Where does vanek fit on our roster. Who sits?

Now watch EOTP totally diss the entire trade due to Collberg's amazing Corsi in the Jr. tournaments.

Good trade. It would be excellent of we can sign him for a few years.

As for Collberg, I was not impressed by what I have seen at the junior championships the last two years. He may have potential, but he looked soft to me. And if he can't find a regular spot at his age in Sweden, I really doubt that he could perform right now in North America.

It is conditional (confirmed by the team via Twitter), now the condition probably relates to playoff success and/or re-signing by the draft, similar to the Miller to STL conditions.

Ok.

Thanks Brian!! Always on the ball....

Vanek told TSN he wasn't sure about re-signing with us.

I'm fine with that. That's the risk of a rental.

The players wives' only job right now is making Mrs. Vanek fall in love with the city.

• Upvote 1

If the 2nd round pick becomes a first rounder, that probably means that we were able to resign him. In any case, this is a great deal by Bergevin!

Let's not forget that a few older guys won't be resigning next year (Gio, Frankie Boo, Murray, Parros) Right there we'll be saving 9 million$. Also, the cap is supposed to go up 6-7 million...we should have enough to resign both Vanek and Subban!

WOW!!! Was not expecting that! FINALLY a impact move. I was hoping the prospect would be Fucale, as I think Colberg is probably the best one we have that hasn't seen NHL time, but if we can actually resign him, it will be worth it.

Vanek-Pleks-Galchenyuk - make it happen MT - no more tinkering!!

Gionta-briere-Eller

Moen-White-Prust/Weise/Parros/Bourque

I really wish we had moved Bourque though.

Very Kovalevesque deal. Hope fully the rumor that the 2nd rounder is conditional is false, hopefully Colberg turns into Josef Bajai and hopefully he resigns.

Feedback from an Isles blog on Hockeybuzz:

The New York Islanders have traded Thomas Vanek to the Montreal Canadiens for a 2014 second round pick and Sebastien Collberg. This is another clear cut failure by the organization and a swift kick to the groin of this passionate fan base...What Garth Snow brought back for Thomas Vanek is the type of return that you should lose your job over. It's really that simple.

If Montreal misses the playoffs, neither draft pick moves, it becomes Vanek for Collberg straight up.

OMG this keeps on getting better and better!!

This means that it isn't a conditional 1st. IF we make the playoffs, ISLS get a 2nd and we get a 5th back??

Hahahahhaha

Fleeced!!!!

He didn't rule out the possibility of re-signing really either, he indicated that he was excited, and that it was all pretty quick, and had just talked to his wife, so wasn't going to answer the question about next year... he also said never say never when TSN took it as negativity.

The Suit pulls through!

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Vanek

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Briere - Eller - Gionta

Moen - White - Prust

Bourque - Bournival - Weise

Gorges - Subban

Markov - Emelin

Tinordi - Weaver

Murray - Boullion

Guess we're running a fifth line and a fourth D pair now ;)

• Upvote 1

This deal keeps getting better and better. I'm just thinking about how terrrrrible isles fans must feel. At best, they get Colberg and a 2nd. They also gave up a 1st AND a 2nd AND Moulson to acquire him? Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

This is legit genius by MB whether Vanek signs or not. Vanek for Collberg straight up. Laughable !

What the heck is it going to cost to sign him? I heard him on TSN he really did not sound too positive on signing in Montreal.

He said "never say never" which to me sounds a lot more positive than the "definitely not" he had going in Long Island.

With that being said, I wouldn't look into what he said as meaning anything AT ALL. It would be more than unprofessional of him to say that he would love to sign in Montreal as a free agent after he said he definitely wants to test free agency while playing for the Islanders.

I think Montreal will have a better chance than any other team to resign him, but only slightly better and it won't mean that they won't have to pay him the money he wants.

Great trade though, feels even better than the Kovalev trade for me even though it might just be a rental... And I really loved Kovalev.

Feedback from an Isles blog on Hockeybuzz:

The New York Islanders have traded Thomas Vanek to the Montreal Canadiens for a 2014 second round pick and Sebastien Collberg. This is another clear cut failure by the organization and a swift kick to the groin of this passionate fan base...What Garth Snow brought back for Thomas Vanek is the type of return that you should lose your job over. It's really that simple.

Have to agree. As much as I loathed Gauthier and was pissed at Gainey for his makeover, The Isles seem to be committed to stupidity!

How Garth Snow can continue to make stupid moves after stupid moves without losing his job is mind boggling. What a friggin stupid owner!