GDT: Canadiens-Lightning 7:30 PM

Looks like I might have to stop by Cogeco this week. Thanks Brian!

Though I think I'll wait to see if I'm blacked out for the Sportsnet East games. Geographically, I should be able to get them (but I'm pessimistic as I believe you are).

This was a Sportsnet East regional game technically. It was moved to City Montreal because of a conflict with the MLB playoffs. The same blackout rules apply for the City-M games as they do for SNE games. If you couldn't get tonight's game, you won't get the SNE regional ones.

Honestly, Montreal was lucky this didn't happen in the previous two games. Price looked like shite among the rest of them.

True. They played three horrible period last night, two horrible ones against the flyers, two more against the caps.

Is there any ind of system for this squad....or just the "raw raw lets go guys" we seen on 24CH last year. Powerplay has gone the last 13 regular season games without a goal.

exactly! i'm waiting for first line to show up, as well as price. our d has been less than terrific as a group

DD and Gally on same line will never work. It will be a small ineffective weak line at best. As well as a waste of Pacs. Have stated that since they were put together in Washington.

Honestly, Montreal was lucky this didn't happen in the previous two games. Price looked like shite among the rest of them.

Yes. Truth is this team rarely wins a game where the goaltender is not the best player. If either goalie is average (or poor)......its a loss.

1-7 no pucking way! Bulldogs played or what?

On the bright side seen a few of these stinkers last year too....at the bell center no less, Caps 5-0 and Kings 6-0. Habs bounced by back.

Well hopefully this will teach them to show up at the start of the game. It's one thing to come back against crap teams, whole different situation against legitimate contenders.

This road trip has been an experiment:

- in Toronto they only showed up for the 2nd and 3rd period.

- in Washington they only showed up for the 3rd period and overtime.

- in Philadelphia they only showed up for ten minutes of the third period and overtime.

- in Tampa Bay they didn't show up at all.

I believe the results of the experiment clearly show that the last option won't work. The first three are not the best, but they'll work some of the time.

Seriously though, 4 games in 6 nights to start the season on the road: barring several repeat performances, I think we can chalk this up to playing their toughest game of the year while seriously fatigued. We're fortunate to be 3-1.

Well, I couldn't see the game because I'm on Shaw rather than Rogers. So I'm filtering this result through the previous games.

This crashing debacle can partly be explained by the evil road schedule early in the season, but more to the point, this team has looked extremely confident since Game One. Too confident, perhaps. I've seen that before, where a team really believes in itself and sees that self-belief tip over into under-preparation - the belief they can win even if they fall behind, etc.. The result is structurally unsound play and, inevitably, a crash.

(Remember Ken Dryden's The Game? In 1979, with Bowman disengaged all season, the Habs got blown out 7-3 against the rising dynasty Islanders late in the season. Dryden saw Bowman smiling after the game. He writes: "This is what he has been waiting for." It's an ambiguous statement, but one of the meanings may be that the team - increasingly spoiled by its own success - needed a humbling. A game like this may be a miniature version of that).

Everyone is happy that Beaulieu and Tinordi got major minutes. No doubt they played well, but have a look at the scoreboard and think about whether you want them playing those minutes every night at this stage.

The answer, in any case, is simply for the Habs to climb down off the high of their semi-finals appearance and truly buckle down for the grinding, demanding season to come: a season where they are expected, not just to beat the Leafs, but bona-fide contenders like Tampa on a regular basis. Structure. System. Discipline. Smart play. Listen to the coach. Implement.

If they learn from this and adjust, that's how we'll know they're a serious threat to go the distance.

• Upvote 1

Stamkos 12 shots vs Habs = Sabres team yesterday 12 shots.

MT supposedly said ' we need more net front presence'

Can start with Pacioretty, who seems to always be standing to side of net, which is good spot to clean up the garbage I suppose.

75% of available points while playing well for 35% of the time, with pretty much the toughest imaginable road schedule to start the year. I'll take it, and this game is a nice wakeup for a bunch of guys who need to play for each other to maximize their talent. With the recent veteran exodus, this team is still finding its chemistry.

Well hopefully this will teach them to show up at the start of the game. It's one thing to come back against crap teams, whole different situation against legitimate contenders.

Ot was the first game the habs played where the opposition played well.....and they were clobbered.

Like it or not the habs rarely win a game where the other team played great.

Ot was the first game the habs played where the opposition played well.....and they were clobbered.

Like it or not the habs rarely win a game where the other team played great.

Simply not true. They won a lot of games last year where the other team played great, but they played better, or had great goaltending. That is the same as most of the top teams.

As far as Beaulieu and Timordi go, I think you need to look at how Hedman has come into his own since lady year. TB let him learn to play the NHL game and now he is the 1st round stud everyone thought he would be. Beaulieu and Tinordi need to be allowed to make mistakes as part of their development. Dmen take time to develop. They aren't going to adapt to NHL speed and skill in Hamilton. Tinordi in particular has to be allowed to make mistakes. Big guys take longer- see Chara and Hedman.

Mistakes they make are part of the development process. Mistakes guys like Bouillon would make is a mistake in allotment of ice time.

Well, I couldn't see the game because I'm on Shaw rather than Rogers. So I'm filtering this result through the previous games.

This crashing debacle can partly be explained by the evil road schedule early in the season, but more to the point, this team has looked extremely confident since Game One. Too confident, perhaps. I've seen that before, where a team really believes in itself and sees that self-belief tip over into under-preparation - the belief they can win even if they fall behind, etc.. The result is structurally unsound play and, inevitably, a crash.

(Remember Ken Dryden's The Game? In 1979, with Bowman disengaged all season, the Habs got blown out 7-3 against the rising dynasty Islanders late in the season. Dryden saw Bowman smiling after the game. He writes: "This is what he has been waiting for." It's an ambiguous statement, but one of the meanings may be that the team - increasingly spoiled by its own success - needed a humbling. A game like this may be a miniature version of that).

Everyone is happy that Beaulieu and Tinordi got major minutes. No doubt they played well, but have a look at the scoreboard and think about whether you want them playing those minutes every night at this stage.

The answer, in any case, is simply for the Habs to climb down off the high of their semi-finals appearance and truly buckle down for the grinding, demanding season to come: a season where they are expected, not just to beat the Leafs, but bona-fide contenders like Tampa on a regular basis. Structure. System. Discipline. Smart play. Listen to the coach. Implement.

If they learn from this and adjust, that's how we'll know they're a serious threat to go the distance.

There's nothing to panic about. If you read about other teams, most of what you'll read is calling for teams to get their systems together, show a complete effort and leadership. 3-1 is a great start to the season.

Nice to see Eller is already stinking out the place. -6 with zero points in four games. That third line is what I'm worried about. That line could combine for less than twenty goals this season.