Le genius and the power play

habs rule

Well, no one likes to be talked down to, their intelligence challenged, or insulted by insinuation, what's worse coming out and saying what you think, or allowing someone to constantly grind your gears while trying to be clever about it, when they're not really all that clever?

Some posters are consistently awesome, some average, some positive and some negative, but some that are always negative, sarcastic, condescending and like to insinuate insults, and push the belief on others through this language, that their argument is the only one.

That's the way people are, in any bar, living room, stadium, or internet discussion board. Some people also need to be straightened out and made to understand when to STFU.

I think everybody needs to start looking less for something to be upset about, and more to be happy about in general... and really, there's nothing wrong with a little spat anyway. Ya get what ya give, and vise versa....

"We praise a man who feels angry on the right grounds and against the right person and also in the right manner at the right moment and for the right length of time." Aristotle

I don't agree with some stuff posted by some, but would be darn boring if all had same opinion.

(and if anyone can figure out how Habs can improve the road PP, please let Habs know ASAP)

Good point, for instance this thread is not about firing Le Genius. It is about the fact that the power play has to improve. We definitely have the player talent, so what is the problem? I would say that Le Genius needs to find a guy who can actually coach the P/P we certainly do not seem to have one now, and if you look at his stats, it is not something he is good at. At least the A/coaches don't have to be french speaking so should be an easier job.

Now someone brought up power play opportunities (ppo) , which can be used in a couple of ways. 1. our p/p is actually worse than we think because smaller samples tend to produce higher percentages. 2. if we get the p/p working then it will jump up the ladder for the same reason.

The reason I put this thread out there is because every one was bogged down in Le Genius being fired etc. I thought if we could take a look at an actual problem that I don't think any one can dispute, we could stay away from all the personal attack crap which is being propagated by a select few. BCHabnut has it right.

Habs 30/31 does need to tone it down a little and so do some other people on here. As Brian has said many a time, kicking people off the board, calling them leaf trolls etc is not what this board is about. Ignore does work as I can attest to. If it really bothers you that much to listen to another Habs fan's opinion then use it. The only problem with that is why the heck are we here if we all ignore everyone. Talk about a clickey little board this would become. Habs fans are smarter than the other guys and perhaps that is what causes all these disputes. All I know is that most of us are true Habs fans here and should be able to discuss topics without knives and guns being pulled (metaphorically speaking).

"calling them leaf trolls not what this board is all about"

Well that sounds nice, but I'll tell ya..........this the only board in which I have been referred to as such. (among other slurs)

Several posters brag how this is the best board, then resort to juvenile personal attacks soon there after ??

ah well,

Well, no one likes to be talked down to, their intelligence challenged, or insulted by insinuation, what's worse coming out and saying what you think, or allowing someone to constantly grind your gears while trying to be clever about it, when they're not really all that clever?

Some posters are consistently awesome, some average, some positive and some negative, but some that are always negative, sarcastic, condescending and like to insinuate insults, and push the belief on others through this language, that their argument is the only one.

That's the way people are, in any bar, living room, stadium, or internet discussion board. Some people also need to be straightened out and made to understand when to STFU.

I think everybody needs to start looking less for something to be upset about, and more to be happy about in general... and really, there's nothing wrong with a little spat anyway. Ya get what ya give, and vise versa....

exactly! and vice versa

I guess it's time for me to finally ask : why the ###### do you call Therrien "Le Genius" ?!?!?

It is very simple, it started out as a joke in reference to one of his inexplicable moves which worked out. (as they seem to do more often than not). Since we have had Le Artiste I figured why not Le Genius. Kovalev was adored and so is LG in some quarters. It was a joke but since it annoys some people to distraction I decided to keep it.

• Upvote 1

It is very simple, it started out as a joke in reference to one of his inexplicable moves which worked out. (as they seem to do more often than not). Since we have had Le Artiste I figured why not Le Genius. Kovalev was adored and so is LG in some quarters. It was a joke but since it annoys some people to distraction I decided to keep it.

I can't find any appropriate smiley. I'll go with this one instead. ^_^

I sure hope that you are not referring to me. I certainly like to get the board going and create discussion, and I can be sarcastic, but mostly I just like to have fun on here and keep things lively. It sure gets boring when there are no topics to discuss. And of course discussion generally means there at least least 2 differing opinions. But I do agree that the tone sometimes can be pretty bad. Some of that can be attributed to the fact this is a keyboard and what we type is not how we would say it. The emoticons help with this. Any way it is never my intention to to be condecending to any one, however I do try to be clever. :)

I sure hope that you are not referring to me. I certainly like to get the board going and create discussion, and I can be sarcastic, but mostly I just like to have fun on here and keep things lively. It sure gets boring when there are no topics to discuss. And of course discussion generally means there at least least 2 differing opinions. But I do agree that the tone sometimes can be pretty bad. Some of that can be attributed to the fact this is a keyboard and what we type is not how we would say it. The emoticons help with this. Any way it is never my intention to to be condecending to any one, however I do try to be clever. :)

No sir, certainly not referring to you.

I have ran a discussion board for years, and I'm speaking in general terms, and never had you cross my mind when I typed that at all, you have never wronged me in any way.

Just a general observation, not based on you, or anything you have ever said... so chill, and peace out.

you coincidentally leave out when mentioning MT getting canned that gonchar the league leader in points at the time i think 3 years running was out all season! the penns struggled immensely because they didn't go out and get a schneider or a wiznewski or to a lesser extent MAB to help mitigate an extremely potent power play with gonchar as well as the guy that was logging 25+minutes a night on the top pair!!

So yes blysma came in and went 18-3 BUT it was at the exact same time gonchar returned from a 60 game injury!! who do you really think helped turn things around gonchar and his 60 points from the back end or the rookie Blysma who sat behind the bench and watched goncharset up a PP goal every night for the final 20 games of the season (pretty much) with malkin crosby and company... enough is enough... if your gonna make a point make it valid don't spit out part of the facts just to force feed your point....

remember how bad the habs are and were without markov and how there fortunes completely reversed the day he came back!!

also, you have galchenyuk eased into 1st line centre as everyone wanted just as his 20 year frame has started to really fill in, you have beaulieau after all is demotions and pressure to get minutes finally work his way into the top 4 just before christmas... we have older veteran defensive depth/ presence to help push younger guys like beaulieau and emelin to not take a night off, you have dead wood like bourque pushed out the door diplomatically in favour of more young legs in sekac, moen a very useful player to help change a bad "culture" pushed aside in favour of a hab heart through in through with Wiese and family. If you ask me this management team INCLUDING THE COACH has a real plan and handle on getting this team younger, faster, stronger and most importantly better. they're already a contender i do say again and are moving forward, doing it with small steps seemingly one after another... so outside of a powerplay that i have suggested should of been fixed already given the the assets at there disposal... things are actually looking really good. i am starting to rout for MT "the underdog" as it seems whoever is coaching the habs any given year even though they are winning and are a top 5/10 team in the league seem to be incompetent compared to the invisible better coach available!!

a couple points out of first led by the stingiest goalie in hockey and a team not yet firing on all cylinders especially without a PP. all this preceded by an ECF let down! not to shabby MT, not to shabby at all!!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We have all waited a long time to see our beloved team moving in the right direction, lets just enjoy it.

This team is build for the playoffs, we have a team full of gamers and its gonna payoff in May.

I love the nick name, it's really funny. And by the way I think he is doing a fine job. Is there a better coach in the league, ya for sure. Is there a better coach for the habs? I'm not so sure. He has a good handle on this team, the players respect him, the media like him and most importantly he works well with MB.

• Upvote 1

No sir, certainly not referring to you.

I have ran a discussion board for years, and I'm speaking in general terms, and never had you cross my mind when I typed that at all, you have never wronged me in any way.

Just a general observation, not based on you, or anything you have ever said... so chill, and peace out.

If I chill out any more my beer will freeze. :)

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We have all waited a long time to see our beloved team moving in the right direction, lets just enjoy it.

This team is build for the playoffs, we have a team full of gamers and its gonna payoff in May.

You never know what can happen. Last year the Bruins seemed invincible, then Chiarelli loses two pieces (Iginla and Boychuck) and their playoff is in jeopardy.

The Avalanche were an offensive powerhouse last year. A few years ago the Sedins were the biggest deal and Vancouver was a lock to beat Boston.

Ottawa fell off pretty quick after MacLean's Jack Adams. Guy Boucher's Lightning were quick to come and go.

Anything can happen.

I think the Habs are definitely an East contender. I said that last year. We made it to the Conference finals.

Being an East contender I mean they have a great shot at the final four, a decent shot at the finals and a good shot at the Cup.

Perception can be a problem because nobody considers the Rangers an unquestionable East contender but they made the finals last year and the final four in 2014 and 2012. Another Eastern Conference finals appearance by Montreal should legitimize them as a "team to beat" in the East, even if they don't goto the finals. Nobody has made the East finals in two straight years since Pittsburgh in 08 and 09.

It's partially the weakness of the East but it's also because Montreal is a very good team. In years prior the Top 10 teams in the league were dominated by the West. This year, there's 5 East teams and five West teams. Three of the five top teams in standings right now are east teams (Penguins, Islanders, Habs).

Habs scoring is 16th in the league with 104 goals but that could change quickly. Say the final against Pittsburgh is 6-1. Montreal jumps right to 8th in scoring in the league. Of course the flipside is that Montreal is 3rd in goals allowed with 88 but one thrashing by the Penguins (say a 6-1 loss) and Montreal drops to 9th. Our goal differential was ugly a month ago but we're now at +16, good for 6th in the league.

Montreal is currently 17-4-1 in the East with a 9-2-1 record against the Atlantic and an 8-2-1 record against the Metro. It's hard to say who is really better since everyone has played a different amount of games right now but Detroit gets exposed bad looking at this record. They sit at 6-6-6 against the Atlantic. That's technically a 6-12 record. Tampa is 11-8-1 against the Metro, which is easily the most games played against the Metro but also the worst record against the Metro for the Atlantic division. Against the Western Conference, Montreal has a slight winning record of 8-7-1 but not the best against the West (Toronto is 8-4-1 with less games played, Penguins are 7-2-0). The Red Wings have only played 7 games against the West. Penguins have only played 9.

We're a contender.

But all teams get blown out, so if do for Habs, will need to do same for rest to again get a fair comparison.

Big picture, Habs pretty much suck offensively, 19th-21st in league again this year, but are showing signs of improvement.

Low scoring teams don't tend to be big + teams.

Just keep winning at 112 point pace all is fine by me and if somehow can squeeze out a few more PP goals, things could even improve.

But all teams get blown out, so if do for Habs, will need to do same for rest to again get a fair comparison.

Big picture, Habs pretty much suck offensively, 19th-21st in league again this year, but are showing signs of improvement.

Low scoring teams don't tend to be big + teams.

Just keep winning at 112 point pace all is fine by me and if somehow can squeeze out a few more PP goals, things could even improve.

Yes offensively we are not juggernauts, defensively we seem to be a pretty darn good team but that is because of the guy standing between the pipes. One thing that has improved a lot over the last little bit is the goal differential. It is nice to see that we can win by 2 or 3 goals instead of scraping out the 1 goal/ot/so wins. Don't get me wrong I will take a win any way I can get it but my nerves really like a little cushion. We are desperately in need of a sniper and have been for a while. However we also need a top 4 defenceman, so MB has his work cut out for him. Now is the time to trade picks and prospects goals and defence cause we are really close to having a real shot at the cup, with the right trades could be this year. :hyper:

Now is the time to trade picks and prospects goals and defence cause we are really close to having a real shot at the cup, with the right trades could be this year. :hyper:

If you want an impact player, you're going to be trading players too, they don't have the money to bring in a higher end player without sending some money back.

If you want an impact player, you're going to be trading players too, they don't have the money to bring in a higher end player without sending some money back.

In the right deal I am alright with that. What I mean is that the culture of "building for the future" should now change to "what can we do today to move us closer to the cup THIS YEAR" I am very optimistic. :halm:

We now have our top 4 defenseman in NB, the sniper can wait. any word on PAP injury?

If we have our top 4 defenceman, why does the sniper wait exactly? Just wondering, but I also think NB is top 4 to come, I am not sure he there right now.

i thought we had space for a 5 million dollar man at the deadline with current salary cap

retro'd obviously

They do...pending no further transactions or injuries in the next 8+ weeks. They also would be incurring a bonus overage (Galchenyuk and Sekac are likely to hit some bonuses) if they add someone making that much. So while technically they have that type of money, they don't unless you expect nothing to happen for the next 2 months and that they'll take the reduced cap next year.

"We praise a man who feels angry on the right grounds and against the right person and also in the right manner at the right moment and for the right length of time." Aristotle

I don't agree with some stuff posted by some, but would be darn boring if all had same opinion.

(and if anyone can figure out how Habs can improve the road PP, please let Habs know ASAP)

Wow! Luv ittt.. An honest to God Aristotle quote!

I studied Aristotle and the origins of western thought. He's the "Father of Science" and the guy who "saved reality" in the west. Our ideas of form and matter, abstract thought, free will, and meaning and purpose in existence, derive from his seminal work throught the scholastics.. .. One of my faves.. Ed Feser wrote that the worst moment in the intellectual life of western civilization was when Aristotle was abandonned .. not by argument.. but by stipulation. Too true..

Great post Don!

Hey who can we trade to st louis to get Kirk Muller back. Apparently he knew how to run a P/P . I see that Le Genius had the boys practising the P/P today. I think it just hit him, "hey wait a minute the power play doesn't work, we got to fix that" . He like to take things slow and easy, not rush into anything. So I am sure we will now see results. :habslogo:

I don't think he actually had them working the PP - there's nothing wrong with it remember. I think he just has a little trouble counting -and keeping things straight. is that 6 skaters with Price, or without , hmmmm, I can't remember.

Hey who can we trade to st louis to get Kirk Muller back. Apparently he knew how to run a P/P . I see that Le Genius had the boys practising the P/P today. I think it just hit him, "hey wait a minute the power play doesn't work, we got to fix that" . He like to take things slow and easy, not rush into anything. So I am sure we will now see results. :habslogo: