What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

I like Williams a lot. 2 Cup rings, RW, good secondary offence. That'd be a good signing and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Bergy has him in his sights.

I'd have no problem with Ribeiro either, but you have to wonder whether returning to Montreal as a 35-year-old would just be an excuse to party. He'd fit the classic profile of a hometown boy returning home as an over-the-hill veteran to enjoy himself rather than win. Really doubt that Zoot will bother.

I like williams too.

Watching game tonight. Undrafted Johnson leads all players in play offs with 10 goals! Playing in his second play off year only. Where do other teams find these guys???

correct that, 11 goals............. just as i typed that last post he scored again. Hat trick by the half way mark of the game. These commentators barely a mention of it............ if it was OV getting the trick at MSG they would be bowing to him. :thumbs_down:

Ribiero. $1M 1YR.

Conditions:

-Season long curfew.

-Random breathalyzer & blood work checks.

-Media gag order blackout.

-Lives in Marty Lapointe's pool house.

-Zero contact permitted with servers, staff or help of any variety.

-Must be carpooled to avoid road rage.

-Musical consumption to be classical and ambient only.

-All entertainment to be 'G' rated. TV, Movies, Internet & Video games.

-No smart phone; provided with an old Fido Pay-as-you-go Nokia flip.

Then I'd do it

Ribiero. $1M 1YR.

Conditions:

-Season long curfew.

Then I'd do it

lol you forgot one.

replaces DD or Pleks

Only way I'd sign ribeiro is if he is paying us to be a stick boy and promises to wear a koivu jersey to try and atone for being a pampered prick his whole friggin life.

Ribiero. $1M 1YR.

Conditions:

-Season long curfew.

Then I'd do it

On a post note, they did let me down this year. I had them at over 120 points in my prediction. So how do we improve? We don't drop regular season games to T Bay Ottawa and Calgary. Oh yeah, and we FIND THE BACK OF THE NET!! sorry, stop shooting at the goalie. We have enough scoring chances, just have to bury them more consistently.

thats the plan....score more goals. yep

Actually, an even half-decent power-play would - all other things being equal - have the desired result.

This is a good point to examine, as having an average powerplay would have made our offensive numbers look somewhat better.

However, not enough: having our powerplay go from where it was 16.5% to a respectable 20% would only net us 10 additional regular season goals. We were living dangerously with close games and needing Carey to be a miracle worker on many nights...I'm not sure only 10 additional goals is enough.

During the playoffs, obviously, a better powerplay would have made a bigger difference: Hovering between 19% and 22%, rather than a pathetic 5.6%, would have gained us 5 or 6 extra goals.

Fixing the powerplay helps, but nobody is going to mistake us for a true cup contender without adding a 25-30 goal scorer.

Obviously it would be wrong to say that everything has been perfect for the Habs but has no one noticed how the NYR have been winning in these playoffs? How many 2-1 games have they won? The answer is 7. 7 of their 9 wins so far have been by a score of 2-1 and they've scored more than 2 goals 3 times out of their 14 games.

Why is putting the puck in the back of the net not considered to be a life threatening issue for them? Just because they've been successful? Because they're still in? That's the only difference between the Rangers and Habs. I don't think anyone would ever be against getting another offensive dynamo on our team, regardless of LW/C/RW (in my opinion).

What I don't agree with is that a team can't be successful in the playoffs without scoring 3 goals a game on a consistent basis. The Rangers are living proof that it's possible to win in such a fashion in the playoffs and I wouldn't agree that it's because of the personnel the Rangers possess; because in the end your goalie is the backbone when you're winning like that.

What are other people's thoughts on why there is this perceived difference between the Habs and Rangers outside of results?

• Upvote 1

Winning close, low-scoring games is how you win in playoff hockey. Period.

The fact is, our offence was good enough in the regular season to finish near the top of the standings; and the further fact is that an adequate PP would, as sbhatt illustrates, quite likely have made the difference between winning and losing against TB. So I actually disagree, at least partially, with sbhatt's overall conclusion. It's true that adding a 30-goal scorer would really put us over the top, but with a decent PP, we'd probably be in the semi-finals and therefore be legitimate contenders by any reasonable definition.

Obviously it would be wrong to say that everything has been perfect for the Habs but has no one noticed how the NYR have been winning in these playoffs? How many 2-1 games have they won? The answer is 7. 7 of their 9 wins so far have been by a score of 2-1 and they've scored more than 2 goals 3 times out of their 14 games.

Why is putting the puck in the back of the net not considered to be a life threatening issue for them? Just because they've been successful? Because they're still in? That's the only difference between the Rangers and Habs. I don't think anyone would ever be against getting another offensive dynamo on our team, regardless of LW/C/RW (in my opinion).

What I don't agree with is that a team can't be successful in the playoffs without scoring 3 goals a game on a consistent basis. The Rangers are living proof that it's possible to win in such a fashion in the playoffs and I wouldn't agree that it's because of the personnel the Rangers possess; because in the end your goalie is the backbone when you're winning like that.

What are other people's thoughts on why there is this perceived difference between the Habs and Rangers outside of results?

We lost they are winning that would be it.

65th

59th

61st

are the highest picks Rangers had in 2013-14-15 and have traded 2016 1st pick to Arizona (+ trading Duclair), so wont need to see Cigar smoking GM on stage again this. nor next year.

So, that is big difference, trading 4 1st round picks in a row & Habs have just traded 2nd or later round picks.

For Habs that would be like trading McCarron & Scherbak & say Brock Boeser (RH-C- USHL) and the 2016 1st pick to be where Rangers are.

Go Ducks Go!

Rangers six d play a better 60 minute game than the habs 6 d.

Rangers can wear opponents down physically...........habs never do that.

Rangers can win games without lunquist (as proved when he was out and their winning per centage went up)

Habs are toast without carey. The way we play we NEED our goalie more than any team i have ever seen.

Habs are also an easy team to figure out night after night in a series. They never show you anything new, or adjust. Reg season they can get away with that. Play offs it hurts them.

Just some thoughts on the subject.

PS Tbay is having no problem scoring on Rags here in the semis.

Winning close, low-scoring games is how you win in playoff hockey. Period.

The fact is, our offence was good enough in the regular season to finish near the top of the standings; and the further fact is that an adequate PP would, as sbhatt illustrates, quite likely have made the difference between winning and losing against TB. So I actually disagree, at least partially, with sbhatt's overall conclusion. It's true that adding a 30-goal scorer would really put us over the top, but with a decent PP, we'd probably be in the semi-finals and therefore be legitimate contenders by any reasonable definition.

I am thinking that the addition of a thirty goal scorer would increase the power play efficiency. I would agree that merely upgrading the powerplay would be helpful, but given Price's heroics and our lack of major injuries; two variables that could go the other way in a heartbeat, I would be inclined to maximize upgrades and go with the former, if at all possible.

o I am not sure how you could separate one from th.

I am thinking that the addition of a thirty goal scorer would increase the power play efficiency. I would agree that merely upgrading the powerplay would be helpful, but given Price's heroics and our lack of major injuries; two variables that could go the other way in a heartbeat, I would be inclined to maximize upgrades and go with the former, if at all possible.

o I am not sure how you could separate one from th.

Price's heroics will continue. People need to stop talking as though Price is Jose Theodore and this was his 'miracle' season. The Price narrative obscures the fact that this team has had strong regular-season results for thee straight seasons. Price may never again play at this astonishing level for such a long stretch of time, but he is still a superb goalie. This was not a miracle year. Period.

The stellar level of overall team health is certainly not going to continue for year after year. That's a valid point.

In any case, I am certainly not arguing AGAINST acquiring a 30-goal scorer!! All I'm saying is that this team, as presently constituted, is better than the ridiculously inept PP it showed in the playoffs; and that if we hadn't had that ludicrously catastrophic power-play, we'd be playing the Rags right now. That's not exactly a case for the status quo, but I do think it should steer us away from thinking that we absolutely need 'saviours' like a 30-goal man. Add a decently productive RW (a Frolik, a Williams, someone like that) to replace the Gionta role that we have never filled; improve the PP coaching/system; keep Petry. Coupled with internal improvement from Galy, Beaulieu, etc. - these bits and pieces could well do the trick.

NHL Teams with two 30 goal scorers: Calgary

NHL Teams with one 30 goal scorers: Brooklyn, Vancouver, Montreal, Columbus, Tampa Bay, New York, Washington, Dallas, San Jose, St. Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim

It was tough to score 30 goals this year and people want two? Sure, lots of teams had guys who scored between 25-29 goals but it's like nobody is paying attention to the rest of the league. Brendan Gallagher was 16th for all Right Wingers in goal scoring at 24. Only three RWs scored 30 goals or more. Say you want a guy that scores 25 goals or more on the right wing? You're looking at 13 players and that's it, including the likes of Phil Kessel, Marian Gaborik and Patrick Kane. 2013-14 there was only two right wingers in the league that scored 31 goals or more.

Here's a fun one. Who had more 20 goal scorers, Montreal or Tampa Bay? Answer: Tie. Both had four. Tampa's top four scored 125 goals, Montreal's scored 107. But both teams had the same amount of 20 goal scorers.

You have to expand your horizons on what the team needs. Outside of that Top 4, Tampa got 95 goals from eight forwards. Outside of our Top 4, Montreal got 65 goals from eight forwards. That's a 30 goal difference, which is much more severe than the 18 goal difference in the top four. We severely lacked goal scoring after our top four. That's what we need to shore up. Bottom six has to pot some goals in.

NHL Teams with two 30 goal scorers: Calgary

NHL Teams with one 30 goal scorers: Brooklyn, Vancouver, Montreal, Columbus, Tampa Bay, New York, Washington, Dallas, San Jose, St. Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim

It was tough to score 30 goals this year and people want two? Sure, lots of teams had guys who scored between 25-29 goals but it's like nobody is paying attention to the rest of the league. Brendan Gallagher was 16th for all Right Wingers in goal scoring at 24. Only three RWs scored 30 goals or more. Say you want a guy that scores 25 goals or more on the right wing? You're looking at 13 players and that's it, including the likes of Phil Kessel, Marian Gaborik and Patrick Kane. 2013-14 there was only two right wingers in the league that scored 31 goals or more.

Here's a fun one. Who had more 20 goal scorers, Montreal or Tampa Bay? Answer: Tie. Both had four. Tampa's top four scored 125 goals, Montreal's scored 107. But both teams had the same amount of 20 goal scorers.

You have to expand your horizons on what the team needs. Outside of that Top 4, Tampa got 95 goals from eight forwards. Outside of our Top 4, Montreal got 65 goals from eight forwards. That's a 30 goal difference, which is much more severe than the 18 goal difference in the top four. We severely lacked goal scoring after our top four. That's what we need to shore up. Bottom six has to pot some goals in.

Thems some pretty astute observations right there. The quick fix is another 30 goal scorer, maybe that is not possible so what we need is the guys scoring less than 14 to increase their goals by 5 per year and problem solved. We had 4 forwards who scored more than 20 goals. Then it drops to 14 and down. So we need the other 8 forwards contributing more goals between 3-5. If this group can't do it then go get some who can. The bottom 8 are easier to replace then the top 4. I like the idea of getting a 30-40 goal scorer but if not possible divide it up amongst the rest. I can go with that idea to.

Thems some pretty astute observations right there. The quick fix is another 30 goal scorer, maybe that is not possible so what we need is the guys scoring less than 14 to increase their goals by 5 per year and problem solved. We had 4 forwards who scored more than 20 goals. Then it drops to 14 and down. So we need the other 8 forwards contributing more goals between 3-5. If this group can't do it then go get some who can. The bottom 8 are easier to replace then the top 4. I like the idea of getting a 30-40 goal scorer but if not possible divide it up amongst the rest. I can go with that idea to.

The point is that we need more goals. It doesn't have to come from a single Big Player; I don't believe it will, and the 'saviour' logic is irritating since this is too good a team to need a saviour. But we should be looking to add a FW who can score upwards of 20 goals - what Parenteau was supposed to be, in other words. And if we can upgrade the bottom-6 beyond that, hey, so much the better.

We don't even need to go up to Tampa levels (257) but at least in the 230 range (so 16 more goals total). We scored more goals than 2013-14, even if it doesn't feel that way with the weak PP.

Comparing 2013-14 to 2014-15, we got some increased scoring counts from Plekanec (20 to 26), Gallagher (19 to 24), Galchenyuk (13 to 20) and Weise (3 to 10). We however dealt with a Pacioretty drop (39 goals in 73 games to 37 goals in 80 games), Parenteau scored less than Briere (7 to 13), De La Rose scored less Bournival (7 to 4) and while you could call replacing Bourque with Sekac a wash (two goal difference), we didn't really get those extra Vanek goals this time for Smith-Pelly, Mitchell or Flynn. As Cucumber pointed out, we really didn't replace Gionta. Technically you could say Galchenyuk/Weise (30) replaced Gionta/Galchenyuk (31) from the year before but that still says we had a hole in the RW we temporarily filled with Vanek that was never filled again.

We're currently going into next season looking at:

Reliable goal scorers: Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher, Galchenyuk (35-39/20-25/20-25/20)

Reliable secondary scoring: Eller, Desharnais, Weise (15/15/10)

Unreliable goal scorers: P.A. Parenteau, DSP (needs to be > 10)

Unreliable secondary scorers: Prust, DLR, Flynn (needs to be > 5)

We need the two in the third category to jump to at least the second while someone in the fourth category bumps up to the third category (DLR). Our D scored 37 goals in 2014-15, way better than 2013-14. Petry would give us an opportunity to have 40 goals on the blueline every season, which is excellent. That opens up the forwards to only need to score 190 goals.

The top line alone would add 75 goals on the low end (35/20/20), leaving the remaining three lines to score 120 goals. Add Galchenyuk or Gallagher you got 20 goals. That leaves eight players to score 100 goals. This is where DSP scoring 15 or PAP adding 15 becomes so important. They do that and it's a very hittable number. And that's not considering a guy like Gallagher breaking out and potting 30 goals or Plekanec having another 25 goal season.

230 goals puts us just on the edge of the Top 10 in scoring in 2014-15. We do that next year, we're fine. Problem is, we're relying on unreliable players.

What Parenteau was supposed to be, in other words. And if we can upgrade the bottom-6 beyond that, hey, so much the better.

They do need to make a trade for a "sniper."

Pareanteau

Ryder

Briere

Vanek

Sekac

DSP

None of these temporary situations have worked. Without adding someone, we can only hope on neglible improvements from the bottom six. None of the top-6 are due for breakouts, and I don't trust the team's improvement to be left to DLR, Weise, Flynn, PAP, DSP. Basically, if you have an acronym for a nickname, you're useless to me.

They do need to make a trade for a "sniper."

Pareanteau

Ryder

Briere

Vanek

Sekac

DSP

None of these temporary situations have worked. Without adding someone, we can only hope on neglible improvements from the bottom six. None of the top-6 are due for breakouts, and I don't trust the team's improvement to be left to DLR, Weise, Flynn, PAP, DSP. Basically, if you have an acronym for a nickname, you're useless to me.

Now I didn't say we would be keeping these guys, because if they can't do the job go get people who can. Some we keep some we trade. Most of the people on your list are considered snipers and that didn't work so spread it around. Trade 10 goal scorer for 16 goal scorer etc. We have to remember that Le Genius system of defence and defence only does tend to squelch the scoring. Nobody wants to take a risk and be out of position, cause their ass will be on the pine.