What should the Habs do with Parenteau?

dlbalr

A lot of fans would agree that something needs to be done with P-A Parenteau this offseason. With his low production from last year and high-ish cap hit, this is one spot on the roster that could be improved. What's the best way to do that though?

- Buyout: It would save $2.67 M on the cap for 2015-16 but on the downside, would add $1.33 M to the cap for 2016-17, the season where there really could be a lot of roster turnover (there is over $15 M in expiring UFA contracts for that offseason currently).

- Use him as salary ballast in a deal for a big money player: There would be a definite upgrade but there's always a risk associated with big ticket contracts.

- Trade him with salary retention: The Habs could retain up to $2 M on his contract in a trade. This would eliminate any cap additions for 2016-17 but if they want to maximize their return, they'd likely have to retain the full $2 M which further hurts their cap situation for this coming season.

- 'Pull a Briere': Do what they did last year and send Parenteau (an expiring contract) for someone with the same or similar salary but a longer-term deal (by a season or two). They'd ideally get a better fit for next season but it will cut into their cap space for the following summer. Plus, the new guy could 'pull a Parenteau' and struggle badly.

- Waivers: Put him on waivers in training camp and hope someone takes him. If someone does, it's $4 million in cap space. If no one picks him up though, they're either stuck with someone on the roster who now knows no one wants him or a hefty cap hit while he plays in the minors ($3.075 million).

Of course, the other option is to keep him and hope for the best while keeping their cap space for 2016-17 maximized as much as possible.

What's your preference?

PAP was a bad fit from day one, but a buyout doesn't make sense unless they think someone like Andrighetto or Thomas can play top-6 minutes.

There are no guarantees they can find someone at RW for the cap space a buyout saves.

I would just bite the bullet. He only has one more year left and his expected production of 10/30 points is better than the alternatives in the system. And knowing MB, a trade will just bring a bottom-6 fwd or depth dman.

I guess buy-out is least offensive?

No to deal for other teams crap, should of kept Briere, lesson learned.

Yes to waivers and if no luck, St Johns or pressbox depth he is.

I want Hudon, Scherbak, Bournival or other youngster to get his icetime, or the bigish $$ replacement winger they may add take his spot.

Buy out. Won't cost the Habs much at all.

Hw still has trade value even if it is for picks. We are too cash trapped to buy him out. Mb needs every dollar. So dump parenteau and gilbert.

I guess buy-out is least offensive?

No to deal for other teams crap, should of kept Briere, lesson learned.

Yes to waivers and if no luck, St Johns or pressbox depth he is.

I want Hudon, Scherbak, Bournival or other youngster to get his icetime, or the bigish $$ replacement winger they may add take his spot.

I'd put a buyout as one of the worst ideas they could do (aside from waivers which is the worst). A trade with salary retention is more ideal than the buyout. Could you get a late draft pick with retaining him at 30%? I'd have to think so. That way, the cap penalty is only one year instead of two which you get with the buyout route.

I say keep him this season and hope he improves - I can't see how he'd be able to be worse than last year.

I don't want him on the books next year.

it is possible if another team has injury issues or PAP plays a ever so slightly better game this year that someone would actually give up a minorleager or late round pick for him.

I say keep him this season and hope he improves - I can't see how he'd be able to be worse than last year.

I don't want him on the books next year.

it is possible if another team has injury issues or PAP plays a ever so slightly better game this year that someone would actually give up a minorleager or late round pick for him.

Unless there is a big deal to be made where the cap space is necessary, I would say that we should hang onto him and hope he doesn't repeat. I know that it doesn't get you the cup, but he helped put Montreal on top of the division with his shootout wins. He was injured and unconfident much of last season from brain injury. I just don't think he is going to have that bad of a year twice in a row. I do like the idea of retaining 1.5 million of his salary in a trade though. If that could be done, I think it would be a good move as well. As long as he is replaced.

I'd put a buyout as one of the worst ideas they could do (aside from waivers which is the worst). A trade with salary retention is more ideal than the buyout. Could you get a late draft pick with retaining him at 30%? I'd have to think so. That way, the cap penalty is only one year instead of two which you get with the buyout route.

Great idea. but i'll bet there is not a gm out there that will be so helpful

So was a trick question?

No, not a trick question. I know some on here preferred the buyout route but I was curious to hear from others as well and thought I would put all of the various options in the first post with a pro/con for each. With salary retention now an option, I think buyouts are a bad idea in general unless it's an absolute albatross of a contract. While overpaid, I wouldn't put Parenteau in that albatross column.

Guest Stogey24

As I said before, P.A has highest Ppg behind Max. With a team so desperate for talent at RW, you need to see what P.A can do healthy.

I wouldn't go for the buyout either. Keeps the headache around for an extra year. Ideally to me he simply has a second line calibre season in 2015-2016, I'd be happy with 15-20 goals and 40+ points. It's possible. I guess you could say even more ideally Montreal trades his salary flat out to a team near the cap floor, and manages to sign Stafford to a reasonable deal, but then there's probably a better chance we trade for Crosby than that.

I say unless MB can find a trade in which we come out as early winners, he stands pat and finds out what an offseason can do to reestablish PAPs game.

Tough question...but unless I thought I had a really realistic chance of adding a top-6 RW, I'd just keep PAP and hope he can recapture some of his game. Sometimes you get rewarded with a 'rebound year' when you stick by a veteran. What the heck.

As I said before, P.A has highest Ppg behind Max. With a team so desperate for talent at RW, you need to see what P.A can do healthy.

Yep, I agree, he may just put up some points if given the opportunity, if not, oh well, no cap concerns the next season.

Here's another top-10 likeliest to be traded by free agency column and instead of Gilbert's name being on there, it's Parenteau.

In and out of favour with Montreal Canadiens coach Michel Therrien, the goal-scoring winger is a potential low-risk high-reward acquisition. Parenteau is 32 but has just a year left at a cap hit of $4 million and fits better in a top-six or top-nine role where he can play with a distributing centre.

Possible destination: New Jersey Devils, Nashville Predators

The Habs are linked as a possible destination for one of the other nine players on the list. Hopefully that one doesn't pan out...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771567

Here's another top-10 likeliest to be traded by free agency column and instead of Gilbert's name being on there, it's Parenteau.

The Habs are linked as a possible destination for one of the other nine players on the list. Hopefully that one doesn't pan out...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771567

Ugh, I can't imagine us taking that albatross of their hands. They would have to throw in something pretty damn good along with it...

Guest Stogey24

Ugh, I can't imagine us taking that albatross of their hands. They would have to throw in something pretty damn good along with it...

I don't even know why they would mention Montreal being interested in Bickell. The last thing this teams is another grinder, especially one making 4mill