2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

Tavares is da man! The guy is ridiculous good, I have never watched him play all that much, but he has the fire for sure, and the skill to go with it.

Bye bye Panthers.

Fraud team.

You can't live getting outshot every night and having insanely high shooting percentage. It eventually comes back to haunt you. There was a reason i picked the Isles to win the series.

Anaheim and Tampa are the last teams I'll be actively cheering against. I'm jumping on the Sharks bandwagon as well, and it's hard for me to cheer against the Blackhawks; I've rooted for them for each of their Cups (and they beat the Bruins, something it's hard to forgive Vancouver for failing at). Pens-Caps should be a doozy, but will Pittsburgh start to suffer for playing their third-stringer in net? Wouldn't normally cheer for Dallas, but they have a likable team, albeit one that doesn't seem built for the playoffs. Pretty good first round so far, hope the next can match the intensity! And with the Habs out, it's great not having any other Canadian team in it for the media to wring their hands over.

Tomorrow at 7pm get to watch second round action and then at 10pm game seven of the first round. So weird to be starting the second round before the first round is even over. Happens in the NBA but I can't remember it happening in the NHL.

Hopefully the second round has a great series like that Chicago/St. Louis one. Was very entertaining hockey and close.

Fraud team.

You can't live getting outshot every night and having insanely high shooting percentage. It eventually comes back to haunt you. There was a reason i picked the Isles to win the series.

Right, compared to when you said the Habs would turn it around because of their low shooting percentage and outshooting opponents. Fancy stats are so 2012.

• Upvote 1

Right, compared to when you said the Habs would turn it around because of their low shooting percentage and outshooting opponents. Fancy stats are so 2012.

Don't be so bitter just cause your real favorite team turned out to be frauds and the fancy stats were correct in predicting it would happen.

As for the habs, the goal scoring did turn around after january, not great but good enough to make the playoffs. The goaltending just didn't and price never came back.

Via Sportsnet:

Nice.

Happy to see the Ducks out. I deferred my dislike for them while Saku was on the team, but given that they originated as the Mighty Ducks - a disgrace to the game - have Ryan Kesler, and that Getzlaf is always being invoked as the kind of "BIG C" that the Habs absolutely require if they are to do any damage (how's that working out for the Ducks?), I don't like 'em one bit. Good riddance.

All that remains is for the Islanders to beat Tampa Bay and this playoff will be as good as a Habs-less playoff can possibly get. :thumbs_up:

Guest Stogey24

Getzlaf has 99pts in 104 playoff games. He's a big part of the reason they won a cup in 06' and a major reason they contend every year. So I'd say he's working out pretty well for them.

Getzlaf has 99pts in 104 playoff games. He's a big part of the reason they won a cup in 06' and a major reason they contend every year. So I'd say he's working out pretty well for them.

Hey, I wasn't trying to argue that Getzlaf is not an excellent player. It was more in the way of expressing my irritation with the Big C fetish in general. One thing the Ducks's playoff travails show is that the Big C is not a magic ticket to glory. Anyway, the real point is that the Ducks are out, and it suits 'em, I say.

Nice.

Happy to see the Ducks out. I deferred my dislike for them while Saku was on the team, but given that they originated as the Mighty Ducks - a disgrace to the game - have Ryan Kesler, and that Getzlaf is always being invoked as the kind of "BIG C" that the Habs absolutely require if they are to do any damage (how's that working out for the Ducks?), I don't like 'em one bit. Good riddance.

All that remains is for the Islanders to beat Tampa Bay and this playoff will be as good as a Habs-less playoff can possibly get. :thumbs_up:

I think the Ducks should go back to that funny duck logo. After all they are kind of a joke. Can Boudreau speak french? :)

I think the Ducks should go back to that funny duck logo. After all they are kind of a joke. Can Boudreau speak french? :)

I know you're a-joshin', but I've never quite understood all the praise of Boudreau myself. His track record is that of a guy who gets the expected regular-season results from excellent rosters and then flames out in the playoffs. Therrien has a better track record than he does.

Nice.

I totally agree. I had a list of teams I was sort of rooting for. San Jose, Washington, and Chicago. And a list of teams I was spite cheering against. LA, Philly, Anaheim, Detroit (no business in the playoffs) and Tampa. A quick sweep of Tampa would compete my spite cheering.

Nice.

Corey Perry is a player I like a lot and wouldn't mind too much if he became a Hab.

We could have had Getzlaf. Or Carter. Got Kostitsyn instead.

Boudreau is an excellent coach for getting a club to gel together but he always gets outcoached in a series (though it seems forgotten that the Ducks went to the WCF recently)

Are you kidding? Talk about beating a dead horse.

Holy hindsight Batman!

Are you kidding? Talk about beating a dead horse.

Holy hindsight Batman!

We could have also had: Brown, Seabrook, Parise, Burns, Kesler, Richards, Perry...

I guess we could have also had Bernier, Jessiman, Nilsson, etc. but yeah, it wasn't hindsight. Carter was taken 11th overall. It wasn't Jason Ward instead of Marian Hossa dumb but still.