Muller joins Habs as an associate coach

kaos

Happy for 2 minutes until I saw I wasn't going to be the first one to bring the news to HabsWorld. Now let's go get some players.

Good news.

Fantastic news!! Welcome home, Captain Kirk!!

That said, can somebody please explain to me the difference between an 'associate' coach and an 'assistant' coach? The former sounds more impressive, but are we really just talking synonyms here?

I'd also be interested to know how much input Therrien had. It was a pretty quick decision, and I kinda doubt that Therrien was telling MB 'ya know, I need yet another assistant...especially one with head coaching credentials'

That said, can somebody please explain to me the difference between an 'associate' coach and an 'assistant' coach? The former sounds more impressive, but are we really just talking synonyms here?

I've seen associate mean two different things - #2 in command behind the head coach (such as Crawford in Ottawa) or a level below the assistants. I think (and hope) we're looking at the former in this case. Otherwise, I doubt he'd have signed.

Really like the hire. Never wanted Muller to leave back in the day but understood he needed the opportunity.

The Habs now have someone who can take over if need be. Good to have but maybe not greatest news for Therrien.

Do we finally have someone who can have good chemistry with PK? Too bad he wasn't a D-man too, but we should have a premiere PP quarterback in PK and Muller might be the man to get us there.

Hopefully this is only the first ball to drop in a big summer for MB.

It's amazing how a relatively minor hire like this helps, psychologically. We needed SOME sort of change, some meaningful signal that everything isn't hunky dory in Bergevin's eyes after an all-time disastrous season. I think Brian is right and Muller is the #2. That's a consequential shake-up in the coaching dynamic.

I'm also wondering whether it's effectively putting Therrien on notice. Unilingual Muller may not be a plausible candidate for the permanent head coaching job, but he certainly would be a qualified, credible mid-season replacement for MT, giving us the space to do a proper search at season's end (and also to test, perhaps, the market's willingness to tolerate unilingualism from a well-liked former Hab). This is another reason to like the move...if, as many of us have feared, Therrien has lost, or is in the process of losing, the room, we now have a go-to alternative within the system.

Great move, MB :thumbs_up:

• Upvote 1

My question is why doesn't he accept the offer to stay in St. Louis after a relatively successful season? Is it simply that he wanted a multi year deal somewhere?

Multi-year deal?

More money?

He's always been comfortable in Montreal?

There could be a number of reasons.

Yeah, I guess I was assuming that he wouldn't have been in talks with any other teams at that point in time. No reason for that to be the case though.

Guest Stogey24

According to a Habs beat reporter, Guy Boucher was originally offered the associate position if he didn't find a head coaching job.

Really eh. That surprises me. Just seems like Boucher would be breathing down Therrien's neck.

I guess Muller is probably chomping at the bit too though

Habs PP from 2006-11 (w/Muller): 21.6% (2nd)

Habs PP since 2011 (w/o Muller): 16.7% (26th)

Multi-year deal?

More money?

He's always been comfortable in Montreal?

There could be a number of reasons.

Other reasons could be that its closer to his hometown of Kingston and he has a daughter that is attending McGill.

• Upvote 1

My question is why doesn't he accept the offer to stay in St. Louis after a relatively successful season? Is it simply that he wanted a multi year deal somewhere?

Armstrong said he was a candidate for the head coach position when Hitchcock retired but Muller and Shaw had to take one year deals. Both walked.

If you saw this as an opportunity to maybe have a large say in the on ice department right now, and as an opportunity to maybe get a shot to be head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, with who you have won a cup and was a hero in the fans eyes, why would you ever stay in St.Louis?

Love this news, one of my all time favorite Habs, a true leader and "players coach"...for us Hab fans, it's ONLY good news!

• Upvote 1