Jump to content

Canadiens vs Jets 8:00(EST) Mar 15 2021


Trizzak
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure Ouellet is the answer... I can understand where Mete is coming from asking for a trade, his leash is ridiculously short while Romanov makes numerous errors each game and has gotten something of the royalty treatment.  Now I think that Romanov is a better prospect of course, but their respective performances haven't been that far apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Neech said:

I'm not sure Ouellet is the answer... I can understand where Mete is coming from asking for a trade, his leash is ridiculously short while Romanov makes numerous errors each game and has gotten something of the royalty treatment.  Now I think that Romanov is a better prospect of course, but their respective performances haven't been that far apart.

 

I'm pretty sure Ouellet is not the answer. Frankly, I liked Fleury's game better. But I am not a fan of either, really.

 

Mete has nothing to complain about. He had a very long leash and got to play with Weber in his near-prime when he came up. In fact, he is the one who played himself off that plumb pairing. The difference now is that the Habs have a belief in Romanov's potential, while I suspect they have pegged Mete as likely to top out as a bottom-pairing guy except on a desperate team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I'm pretty sure Ouellet is not the answer. Frankly, I liked Fleury's game better. But I am not a fan of either, really.

 

Mete has nothing to complain about. He had a very long leash and got to play with Weber in his near-prime when he came up. In fact, he is the one who played himself off that plumb pairing. The difference now is that the Habs have a belief in Romanov's potential, while I suspect they have pegged Mete as likely to top out as a bottom-pairing guy except on a desperate team.

 

Mete was never ready for top-pairing minutes at that stage.  We've approached his development backwards - giving him less opportunity as he matures.  Much like KK, he should have been in the minors for a year or two when we already had him in the big club.  I agree that he projects as a bottom-4 guy, but most of our D-corps is not top-pairing material either.  Contract situation dictates the D pecking order more than performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Neech said:

 

Mete was never ready for top-pairing minutes at that stage.  We've approached his development backwards - giving him less opportunity as he matures.  Much like KK, he should have been in the minors for a year or two when we already had him in the big club.  I agree that he projects as a bottom-4 guy, but most of our D-corps is not top-pairing material either.  Contract situation dictates the D pecking order more than performance.

 

Honestly, I disagree with the last part. I think the coaches are icing the defensive configurations which they believe will give them the best chance to win. They seem to see Chiarot and Edmundson as absolute locks (and despite my initial skepticism about both, they are unquestionably legit NHL regulars). That means Mete is in a contest with Kulak for the role of puck-moving LD. If you flip to the right side, then it's Romanov whom Mete has to squeak out of the lineup. And I think we can all agree that if it's a choice between playing Mete or Romanov, you go with the latter.

 

Whether or not they mucked up Mete's development - and frankly, I doubt he was ever destined to be a top-4 defender regardless - the important thing is that they do handle Romanov properly. And so far, so good, I'd say. 

 

Mete is like the second coming of Rafael Diaz.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Mete has nothing to complain about.

But, all d-men have played 20+gms and he has played 7 and has all of 3 shots this year.

So, totally depends what Mgmt has told him, whether he should be pissed or not.

But, he has not 'shone' when given a chance that is for sure and dont think rust can be only reason.

 

Anyways;:1gohabs:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Curious about D pairings 🤔

 

Edmundson - Weber

Kulak - Petry 

Romanov - Ouellet 

 

Maybe?


Looks like I’m right 

 

Lines so far:

 

Toffoli - Suzuki - Gallagher 

Drouin - KK - Anderson 

Tatar - Danault - Armia 

Byron - Evans - Perry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get the Suzuki penalty, but how is Dubois not called for that at all?  That's 2 minutes each if I ever saw it.

 

I guess a completely normal reaction to someone holding you is to elbow them, the shove them twice while they are on the ice.  Incidental contact I would imagine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

I get the Suzuki penalty, but how is Dubois not called for that at all?  That's 2 minutes each if I ever saw it.


he is wearing the bleu blanc rouge 

that is why 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice to see them playing as a unit of 5

 

Edmundson seems to fit well with a slower D

Kulak is playing well too

 

Price is solid 

 

they have to keep pressing and supporting each other 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neech said:

I'm not sure Ouellet is the answer... I can understand where Mete is coming from asking for a trade, his leash is ridiculously short while Romanov makes numerous errors each game and has gotten something of the royalty treatment.  Now I think that Romanov is a better prospect of course, but their respective performances haven't been that far apart.

I think it was pretty clear that it was Mete's agent that was pushing for a trade. Mete himself seemed rather sheepish about the whole thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...