Seattle Expansion Draft

Fanpuck33

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't know that they even needed two hours ...really just require long enough for the NHL to confirm that Seattle has complied with all the draft rules before picks are announced.

They needed some time to get the information/notes for the broadcast.  Considering how bad it has been with the hosts knowing in advance who was being picked, how much worse would it have been had they not known who the picks were (especially with so many fringe guys)?

16 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

This presentation is leaping back and forth from charming to cringey, but the emphasis is on cringey.

If they announced the trades that went with some of these picks the crowd might pick up a bit.

I wonder if there actually were any/many ... doesn't seem like the Kraken got paid to take on any bad contracts ... teams may have learned from Vegas pilfering teams last expansion draft.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They needed some time to get the information/notes for the broadcast.  Considering how bad it has been with the hosts knowing in advance who was being picked, how much worse would it have been had they not known who the picks were (especially with so many fringe guys)?

Broadcasters could have been given 4-5 names from each team at 10:00 this morning so they could prepare.

IMO ESPN got screwed over ... the only issue would have been having some selected players in-person ... but that could have been handled via video ... the world is VERY used to that now.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Broadcasters could have been given 4-5 names from each team at 10:00 this morning so they could prepare.

IMO ESPN got screwed over ... the only issue would have been having some selected players in-person ... but that could have been handled via video ... the world is VERY used to that now.

They don't even need that. It's not like they went into very much depth on each pick and they didn't even show any video of guys like Bayruether even with all the time they had. Seattle obviously knows these players, so just have them provide a brief explanation/scouting report with their picks. The Driedger and Eberle picks leaked, but I didn't hear anything about them being there in person, so they were capable of keeping at least something under wraps.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Fleury's pick is now official.

wishing  Cale all the best in Seattle, it'll be fun to see the two brothers play together

🙄 well, we you are used to having the best GM in the NHL fleece other teams every time, SEA could only disappoint 🙄

😝🤪😜🤡

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No side deals?  For that roster?  Seriously?  Wow.  That's a pretty underwhelming team outside of a few pieces.

:o That is absolutely shocking. I expected teams to be more judicious than with Vegas, but you're telling me not a single team had to pay to not lose a player they liked? It's almost unfathomable.

All of those cheap contracts, yet they make Jordan Eberle their 2nd highest paid player instead of taking Keiffer Bellows? They pick a UFA AHLer from Columbus? All those fringe NHLers (at least to this point? Do they think they're gonna find a bunch of William Karlsson? And they've got be be flipping Giordano, right? A 37 year old on that roster makes no sense.

on a more serious note, can Seattle loose players to waivers?

if so, that may explain why they have so many fringe players that would clear

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

on a more serious note, can Seattle loose players to waivers?

if so, that may explain why they have so many fringe players that would clear

Yes, regular waiver rules apply to Seattle.  They want to evaluate some of these fringe youngsters in camp to see who's worthy of a spot.  That's the one thing I agree with from this team as my list had a similar strategy with a few more unknowns than a lot of mock drafts had.

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

they also have tons of cap space to sign key UFAs

They obviously have no interest in overpaid players and I doubt any free agent looks at that roster and wants to go there without getting overpaid.

• Upvote 1

They have to trade some guys because they loaded up on defencemen like Vegas did, but yeesh... does anyone want any of those guys traded to the Habs? Vince Dunn and then a whole lot of no thanks. Where's the value?

Just now, Fanpuck33 said:

They obviously have no interest in overpaid players and I doubt any free agent looks at that roster and wants to go there without getting overpaid.

their pick of Eberle over Bailey is interesting in that they chose the shorter term for the a slightly higher salary cap

I think that talent wise Bailey is better

which supports the idea that they chose cheap or short contracts over talent and they seem to be going for the long build.

Picking second is going to help them

they will be able to trade young prospects for more draft picks

doesn't look pretty, but I think they will be fine in the long run

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

They have to trade some guys because they loaded up on defencemen like Vegas did, but yeesh... does anyone want any of those guys traded to the Habs? Vince Dunn and then a whole lot of no thanks. Where's the value?

I would take Hayden Fleury

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

their pick of Eberle over Bailey is interesting in that they chose the shorter term for the a slightly higher salary cap

I think that talent wise Bailey is better

What is most interesting about it is that I thought Eberle and Bailey were the two least likely salaries for them to select. With Keiffer Bellows available, I am baffled that the Isles were one of the only teams they took on big salary from.

🤔 I wonder if X. Ouellet is helping Cale pack and driving him to the airport? 🤔

all that work playing RD may finally pay off :ph34r:

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

No side deals?  For that roster?  Seriously?  Wow.  That's a pretty underwhelming team outside of a few pieces.

That team when plugged into the Roster builder at Evolving Hockey, is a 102 pt projected regular season (by WAR).

Seattle is EXTREMELY analytics focused.  They picked the best (Projected WAR/Cap Hit) they could, and are projecting 25 million to make the team even better in the next week or so.

This is an excellent draft, it gives them a competitive crop, but one that can be added to with exactly what Seattle wants. They have no long-term bad contracts so they have a ton of flexibility. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That team when plugged into the Roster builder at Evolving Hockey, is a 102 pt projected regular season (by WAR).

Seattle is EXTREMELY analytics focused.  They picked the best (Projected WAR/Cap Hit) they could, and are projecting 25 million to make the team even better in the next week or so.

This is an excellent draft, it gives them a competitive crop, but one that can be added to with exactly what Seattle wants. They have no long-term bad contracts so they have a ton of flexibility. 

But they need to trade guys, so why wouldn't they choose some players that other teams value instead of some of these barely NHLers? No GM is slamming a table saying, "Sonova bitch! What do we have to give up to get John Quenneville on our team?"

So did Francis really screw the pooch with some of his picks? He really seemed fixated on players he drafted when he was GM of the canes - one of was a solid pick for sure, but there seemed to be better options.

At least for now, he hasn’t tried to use his cap space to pick up high dollar value contracts that expire within 2 years from cash-strapped  teams, that he could probably trade on other teams by retaining salary.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think that is the key "no long term bad contracts", they have lots of flexibility/cap space.  They will make some noise signing free agents.