Pitlick - Evans - Anderson

Dauphin - Poehling - Hoffman

Pezzetta - Vejdemo - Paquette

Chiarot - Petry

Kulak - Clague

Romanov - Wideman

Montembeault

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No Savard for tonight's game or tomorrow's due to a lower-body injury so Clague is back in.

That should make Montembeault feel better.:(

Has there ever been a club in the modern NHL history to go from the cup finals to dead last in the league???

I thought missing the playoffs in the lock out (strike?) shorted year, two years after the 93’ cup win was bad!!!!

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Double whammy for that period - a poor showing and having to listen to Jack Michaels call the game.  I know Sportsnet's cheap but having super homer regional commentators on a national broadcast is very poor form.

I agree.  I was disappointed to see them. More disappointed to listen 

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Has there ever been a club in the modern NHL history to go from the cup finals to dead last in the league???

I thought missing the playoffs in the lock out (strike?) shorted year, two years after the 93’ cup win was bad!!!!

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that the answer is no.  It is common for a team to lose in the Cup Final and not make the playoffs the next year but this is ridiculous.   

I tend to think that it isnt due to a lack of talent, the majority of them wont hit 50% of their regular career averages this year.  How does that happen exactly?  I don't think that its a coaching problem and it's probably more of a mindset issue.  

Apparently, Price was recently on the ice in full gear for 10 mins but didn't take any shots.  Hopefully his knee is getting better and that he doesn't need to restart his rehab yet again. 

1 minute ago, DON said:

Chiarot -3

Kulak/Clague not on for any goals against.

Not that Chiarot has been brilliant recently ... but when he is on his off side I have a little sympathy for him.

7 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I tend to think that it isnt due to a lack of talent, the majority of them wont hit 50% of their regular career averages this year.  How does that happen exactly?  I don't think that its a coaching problem and it's probably more of a mindset issue. 

It's a perfect storm of multiple factors, I think:

• Loss of Danault (and Tatar) to free agency and Kotkaniemi to an offer sheet
  • Long-term injuries to Weber, Price, Edmundson, Byron and tons of smaller injuries and COVID absences
  • Resulting introduction of lesser talent from the Rocket and waivers
  • Short off-season particularly impacted the Habs due to heavy player turnover
  • Continuing injuries and turnover hurt stability
  • Many (most) returning players playing well below their normal performance levels
  • ... and the coaching could not cope with the turnover and the new players

How much does each of these weigh? An excellent question. But it's not just one or two things that's resulted in this disaster of a season.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Not that Chiarot has been brilliant recently ... but when he is on his off side I have a little sympathy for him.

Still should pay attention to that Mr Kane in front of the net, rather than just skating around.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's a perfect storm of multiple factors, I think:

• Loss of Danault (and Tatar) to free agency and Kotkaniemi to an offer sheet
  • Long-term injuries to Weber, Price, Edmundson, Byron and tons of smaller injuries and COVID absences
  • Resulting introduction of lesser talent from the Rocket and waivers
  • Short off-season particularly impacted the Habs due to heavy player turnover
  • Continuing injuries and turnover hurt stability
  • Many (most) returning players playing well below their normal performance levels
  • ... and the coaching could not cope with the turnover and the new players

How much does each of these weigh? An excellent question. But it's not just one or two things that's resulted in this disaster of a season.

Yes, I agree, and its hard to pinpoint an exact reason because three isnt just 1 reason - other than a negative mindset.  All of those are reasons why they are doing bad, but I dont think that explains dead last though.  Even with all those issues they have had flashes of playing well in some games, but then they fall apart and lose.  Its crazy that they haven't won 2 games in a row yet.  

Three games in a row they haven't shown up ready to play.   They made a game of the last one, but two of the three are looking like blowouts. 

Not competitive at all.

I don't see how we can think the coaching is any good. 

At least the Pitlick, Evans, and Anderson line looks good.  However, I'd prefer to see Pitlick and Evans play with Caufield.   Unfortunately, Caufield and Armia had flight delays for this game, but I'd love to see if Pitlick and Evans chemistry can also get Caufield going.

I did read that Gally and Byron are expected to play tomorrow, but Edmundson still has a lower back injury and its still unknown when he can return.  

There are way too many reasons to explain this year that I wouldn't put all the blame on the Coach.  I don't blame Dvorak either, like 1 poster was suggesting the other day.