Jan. 29, Oilers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

13 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

At least the Pitlick, Evans, and Anderson line looks good.  However, I'd prefer to see Pitlick and Evans play with Caufield.   Unfortunately, Caufield and Armia had flight delays for this game, but I'd love to see if Pitlick and Evans chemistry can also get Caufield going.

I did read that Gally and Byron are expected to play tomorrow, but Edmundson still has a lower back injury and its still unknown when he can return.  

There are way too many reasons to explain this year that I wouldn't put all the blame on the Coach.  I don't blame Dvorak either, like 1 poster was suggesting the other day.  

I don't put all the blame on coaching, but I put enough on them that he shouldn't be coaching the team much longer. 

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I didn't catch this during live action but Kane got a pretty good elbow in on Suzuki:

Wow, I definitely missed that too.   If the NHL reviews that Kane will likely be suspended in his 1st game back.  

Is Suzuki still in the game?  I certainly hope he isn't injured or have a concussion.  

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... I don't see how we can think the coaching is any good. 

9 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... I wouldn't put all the blame on the Coach ...

For me it isn't the won/loss record ... but that the team generally isn't "in the game" (and I don't mean score) .... DD does not seem to able to either inspire effort or adherence to whatever his system is.

A TVA show made a big deal recently about how long it took players to respond to DD calling them in for a talk (around 1:25 mark of this video) at a practice ... that it showed that the players don't respect DD.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Primeau will play the third period.  This may sound a little crazy but I'd start McNiven tomorrow.

Not at all ... Montembeault is playing through an injury to his right hand and regardless of how the third period goes I don't want risk what would happen to Primeau if he starts ... in hockey terms (i.e., not as a person) I don't really care what happens to McNiven.

TVA noted that when the game ended a few Habs went to see the goalie but most just left the bench for the locker room ... hope Gorton and Hughes took down numbers.

For the record, after I called out Pezzetta for his antics in Minnesota, I won't do so for this one.  I don't like staged fights in general but if you're going to try to settle a score, I'd rather that than taking a run at someone else and he did it before there were five minutes left which would have earned him an automatic suspension.  And with the game out of reach, giving up the power play was basically inconsequential.

Pitlick is looking dangerous as a play maker anyway.  He's had several games where he has made numerous really good passes.  It sorta seems like he's capable of seeing a potential play unfold before it happens and then makes smart passes to create scoring chances.  

A big part of the Habs problem and for numerous years now, is that they are typically way to defensive minded.  They are often blind to offensive opportunities.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For the record, after I called out Pezzetta for his antics in Minnesota, I won't do so for this one.  I don't like staged fights in general but if you're going to try to settle a score, I'd rather that than taking a run at someone else and he did it before there were five minutes left which would have earned him an automatic suspension.  And with the game out of reach, giving up the power play was basically inconsequential.

I was going to bring that up in the Minn game thread when people were upset that Pezzetta didn't fight.  There was under 5mins left so he would have been suspended and I'm pretty sure the team would have been fined too.  

His late hit in the Minn game was a clean hit, and earlier in the game Dumba had gone after Dauphin.  Plus, when Minn had a huge lead they did not let up at all.  Well, not until the final 30 secs of the game when they tried to run the time out behind their own goal line.  In that scenario, I'd say that the Wild deserved to have 1 of their players hit hard into the boards.  

52 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Lehkonen-Suzuki-Toffoli is also about 80% xGF against the McDavid line.

McDavid had 20% xGF against Suzuki and Lehkonen. 90% against everyone else.

Is Suzuki a #1C? Was Danault?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

For me it isn't the won/loss record ... but that the team generally isn't "in the game" (and I don't mean score) .... DD does not seem to able to either inspire effort or adherence to whatever his system is.

A TVA show made a big deal recently about how long it took players to respond to DD calling them in for a talk (around 1:25 mark of this video) at a practice ... that it showed that the players don't respect DD.

Thx for that clip, and for saying what time it started. 

Hmm, I didnt think much of that at 1st anyway.  However, I watched it numerous times.  

How many times have you watched it?  Go into OCD mode and watch it a bunch of times very closely because its pretty wild.  i.e. try to figure who they all are and where they were when he called them.  Which players were there 1st and last?  Watch Petry.  When DD is talking notice their heads because a lot them aren't even looking at him.  Kulak shouldn't have ate a 2nd edible.  

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thx for that clip, and for saying what time it started. 

Hmm, I didnt think much of that at 1st anyway.  However, I watched it numerous times.  

How many times have you watched it?  Go into OCD mode and watch it a bunch of times very closely because its pretty wild.  i.e. try to figure who they all are and where they were when he called them.  Which players were there 1st and last?  Watch Petry.  When DD is talking notice their heads because a lot them aren't even looking at him.  Kulak shouldn't have ate a 2nd edible.  

I said thus a couple of weeks back - we need a coaching move. We are bad enough to lose even with effort, but risk hurting development of our young players, and are killing the trade value of our veterans.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see DD fired after tomorrow, if we have another similar effort.

it makes me laugh how it seems the fault is on the coaches for the poor performance, as if another coach could get blood from a stone.

Gorton-Hughes are clearly sitting waiting to trade out players for assets and to not care for wins. Players have given up on the season, and the coaches are stuck in the middle.

Bring in anyone, and I guarantee that with the current lineup they will not win more... now, a healthier lineup is a different story, but that is not happening anytime soon

They couldnt win any less.  

Worst team in points and goal difference 

Getting blown out nightly.

I get that the team stinks but at least teams like arizona and Buffalo and ottawa work... this team doesnt even do that.  Who gets the blame for the lack of motivation in most of the lineup?

Is everything on coaching? No.  The problems run deeper.

But if you arent part of the solution, you are part of the problem and this coach has shown absolutely nothing to suggest hes part of the solution.

11 hours ago, DON said:

Anderson 5 and Hoffman 4 shots at least.

Good point, they both looked fairly engaged and dangerous relatively I guess.

was disappointed in Anderson’s soft dzone play in front of his own net (Draisatl scored but Andy was soft on play with Foegle just before), Andy shoulda put Foegle down, instead stared/swung his stick focusing on puck, ended up looking like a chump. 
“Can’t score from your back” (is what they used to say) although Ovi can haha.  Andy shoulda dumped Foegle, Draisatl never gets the puck.

Otherwsie liked his game overalL.  And that line with Evans and Rem. Revanson! 

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

They couldnt win any less.  

Worst team in points and goal difference 

Getting blown out nightly.

I get that the team stinks but at least teams like arizona and Buffalo and ottawa work... this team doesnt even do that.  Who gets the blame for the lack of motivation in most of the lineup?

Is everything on coaching? No.  The problems run deeper.

But if you arent part of the solution, you are part of the problem and this coach has shown absolutely nothing to suggest hes part of the solution.

Agreed, well said.

Ottawa is actually taking a nice step this year, still playing hard for their coach and have enough talent to boot. Habs have been so bad I have watched a lot more Sens than usual (and many other team, CentreIce pkg) andSens  games are usually entertaining.

But to the main point, even when they aren’t winning there is no quit and they listen to their coaches, show respect (like coming over promptly when called).

Re. DD. He should be fired but will probably last the season at this point.

If they brought in a proven winner with history of success it would be on the players to listen, step up. Having a coach with no real track record does not instill  the same sense of onus on the players to take responsibility.

They have obv tuned DD out and at this point things are only festering an acceptance of loss, lacklustre effort, and culture of choosing not to follow the system.   This is on the coaches at this point and is causing long term negative effects.   They need to clean house on the bench now that the executive leadership has been.  Couldn’t happen soon enough, assuming they have a coach available who has an irrefutable track record.

Like Boudreau is in Van, the players are now on the hook as there is no doubting that he knows what’s what and can win.

There are a couple coaches out there who have successful histories and are currently available.  DD inherited a team that was run by veterans last year and won despite him (he missed a bunch of games I believe). 
He’s been dealt a tough hand this year but also has had all season to do his thing, when Vets like Petry cannot comprehend, adopt his style it says more about the style and/or delivery system than the players.  I think DD had next to no impact on last season’s playoff success.  In fact he probably hindered it more than helped with his roster calls. Weber, Price, Perry lead that team with Gally, Byro, Danault, Eddy preaching the gospel of good play.

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it makes me laugh how it seems the fault is on the coaches for the poor performance, as if another coach could get blood from a stone.

Gorton-Hughes are clearly sitting waiting to trade out players for assets and to not care for wins. Players have given up on the season, and the coaches are stuck in the middle.

Bring in anyone, and I guarantee that with the current lineup they will not win more... now, a healthier lineup is a different story, but that is not happening anytime soon

The argument for replacing DD now has NOTHING to do with winning more this season ... it is about creating a better environment for both the youngsters and the vets ... reversing the obvious D-G-A-S attitude amongst so many players ... having players buy-in to some sort of short-term system appropriate to the talent available ... maybe salvaging the trade value of some veterans ... even entertaining the fans more often.

• Upvote 1

So the candidates are Joel Bouchard, Guy Boucher, and Alain Vigneault. Claude Julien is “out” obviously, and Therrien is a sub-human clown so that rules him out too. Anyone else I’m missing?