Jump to content

2022 NHL Entry Draft


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Overall feels like we had a very solid draft though eh?

 

There were a few odd picks in there but yeah, solid would be a good way to describe it.

 

For anyone wondering, I'm not sure if I'm doing a grades piece this year or not.  It's always hard to squeeze in between free agency and roster news (of which we'll have some by Monday) and I'm not sure I'll have the time to do a full piece.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

There were a few odd picks in there but yeah, solid would be a good way to describe it.

 

For anyone wondering, I'm not sure if I'm doing a grades piece this year or not.  It's always hard to squeeze in between free agency and roster news (of which we'll have some by Monday) and I'm not sure I'll have the time to do a full piece.

 

a poll on a thread is fine for me. Commandant has already provided so feedback.

 

You were pretty quick on the draft pick write ups and those provide good insight already

 

#GoodJob @dlbalr 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

David Goyette was one we discussed as a Montreal second-rounder, he goes to Seattle at 61.

 

With pick 62, the Habs take Lane Hutson.

YAAA!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Pick 216 - Miguel Tourigny.

Holy moly, well done sir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

He's eligible to turn pro now but is going to UMass-Lowell in the fall.

 

Manon's nephew and son of journeyman NHLer Pascal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The longest article of the year, affectionately called the Beast, that I have been working on for two days is finally ready. 

 

Hope you enjoy. 

 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/07/09/2022-nhl-draft-grades/
 

 

Thanks. The more I investigate Owen Beck the more I really like the pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Thanks. The more I investigate Owen Beck the more I really like the pick. 

Same, I never dove into him deeply because the point totals didn't impress me. But the more I read the more I like him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

The longest article of the year, affectionately called the Beast, that I have been working on for two days is finally ready. 

 

Hope you enjoy. 

 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/07/09/2022-nhl-draft-grades/
 

 

Epic article! Thank you. And damn - A+ for the Habs!! That is exciting. Also good to read that the Bruins had a cruddy draft 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Epic article! Thank you. And damn - A+ for the Habs!! That is exciting. Also good to read that the Bruins had a cruddy draft 👍

 

The Athletic also gave the Habs an A+ so I think Hab fans can walk away from this draft feeling pretty good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will see in the 5 or 10 yr 2022 redraft how they actually did, i suppose.

But, seemed a nice haul for sure.. just still wondering if should of used the 13th pick and let Dvorak play centre #2 PLUS have added highly skilled Nazar or BPA then. 

 

Romanov for 13th pick, seems sweet deal by itself.:spamafote:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DON said:

Romanov for 13th pick, seems sweet deal by itself.:spamafote:

Yes. And admittedly a good job by Timmins drafting him late in the second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. And admittedly a good job by Timmins drafting him late in the second.

Yes, was smart choice and is a fan favourite for sure...but is one area of depth that they could use to upgrade centre with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/3408251/2022/07/07/nhl-draft-best-available/

 

Top 20 available on day 2,

 

1. Lane Hutson,

 

13. Miguel Tourigny, RHD, ACADIE-BATHURST (QMJHL)

February 9, 2002 | 5′ 8″ | 168 pounds

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Above NHL average
Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Background: Tourigny was one of the top defensemen in the CHL and scored both goals and points at a very high rate for a defenseman, even accounting for the fact he’s a 19-year-old. He was also invited to Canada’s U20 camp in the summer.

Analysis: Tourigny is a dynamic player. His skating pops, with the top-end speed to beat checkers wide and lead a rush in transition. He’s an elusive skater with good edgework and is very hard to check on retrievals, despite his diminutive frame. He’s a very smart puck-mover who can make tough, skilled plays with pace and from a standstill, showing ability to hit seams from the offensive blue line. Tourigny is a great passer, but also had a great shot as evidenced by his goal totals the last two seasons. The one obvious drawback is his frame, he’s a tiny defenseman by NHL standards at 5-foot-8. He competes well and defends well enough in junior but whether he can take a regular NHL shift is the question. He’s so talented, and the skating is so good I think he has a very good chance to play games and help an organization, but I can’t just yet stamp him as a guy who is going to have a legitimate NHL career.

 

20. Owen Beck, C, MISSISSAUGA (OHL)

February 3, 2004 | 5′ 11″ | 187 pounds

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average

Background: Owen Beck played a significant role on a good OHL team. He was a regular in every important situation. He was the 29th pick in his OHL draft.

Analysis: Beck brings an intriguing amount of speed and skill to his shifts. He has NHL-level skating, and is able to make highly-skilled plays through checks at full speed. He shows the ability to be able to set up his teammates well while also being able to finish in tight or from the circles. Beck isn’t the biggest forward, but he competes well, can PK and doesn’t shy from getting inside by using his speed. He projects as a bottom six forward, likely on the wing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beck strikes me as a player we’re going to love, even though he might only score 15-20 goals and 35-40 points. Sort of like how Lehkonen was for us. 
 

Him, Mesar and Hutson could be perfectly timed to be that cheap entry level youth when the Habs try to win a cup in 3 years.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Beck strikes me as a player we’re going to love, even though he might only score 15-20 goals and 35-40 points. Sort of like how Lehkonen was for us. 
 

Him, Mesar and Hutson could be perfectly timed to be that cheap entry level youth when the Habs try to win a cup in 3 years.

Kinda hope Hutson is simply a NHL rookie in 3 years and no big expectations. Unless he lights up the NCAA i suppose.

 

Beck also couple (3?) years away at least and i would guess lower offense, maybe 10g-20a, as he likely will be in a defensive forward role (Danault replacement?).

 

Mesar am curious how he will do as an OHL rookie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Kinda hope Hutson is simply a NHL rookie in 3 years and no big expectations. Unless he lights up the NCAA i suppose.

 

Beck also couple (3?) years away at least and i would guess lower offense, maybe 10g-20a, as he likely will be in a defensive forward role (Danault replacement?).

 

Mesar am curious how he will do as an OHL rookie.

Yea, I’m not saying I expect a ton out of them the first few years, but having guys on cheap deals allows the space for vets during a nice run 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...