2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Really sucked the way they dumbly played injured players (Guhle-Monahan-Caufield), but i heard they have bonuses to meet and they also really 'wanted' to play. So what is a Mgmt supposed to do.:wall:

Hopefully we learned from these mistakes. These moves, along with a few other like the Slaf dossier, seem baffling from the outside and we can only hope that we're missing crucial information.

https://theathletic.com/4533389/2023/05/25/nhl-draft-2023-biggest-questions-pronman-wheeler/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail

Montreal Canadiens
Assuming Michkov is there at No. 5, we all know about his potential, but what are some of the reasons why the Canadiens could be tempted to pass on him aside from his KHL contract and his passport? Are there elements of his game that you think teams are concerned about? —Arpon Basu

Pronman: He’s listed at 5-foot-10, but some scouts feel he’s closer to 5-foot-9. He’s an elusive skater, but has average footspeed, and is a one-way winger. I think he could be a star, but I admit if he did become that he would be a unique star. There aren’t many impact NHL players in my lifetime who look and play like him, and there is a chance his game won’t translate to a high degree in the NHL. There’s nobody in the NHL who looks like Michkov, but there are 25 Reinbachers.

Wheeler: I would order the reasons for skepticism as follows:

1. His play and competitiveness off the puck.

2. His size/position combo (though he is more advanced physically than I think he gets credit for).

3. His skating (which I also think is stronger than it usually gets credit for).

4. He’s got some tendencies/habits that I’d like to see him slowly work away from in terms of some of the ways he uses his linemates, too.

I think ultimately the game-breaking, first-line skill level and historic production win out, though. There may not be any players like Michkov in the NHL in terms of makeup, but there aren’t many playing in the NHL who had a statistical profile like his either and you can find the ones who did with a quick scroll through the league’s top scorers.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/4533389/2023/05/25/nhl-draft-2023-biggest-questions-pronman-wheeler/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail

Montreal Canadiens
Assuming Michkov is there at No. 5, we all know about his potential, but what are some of the reasons why the Canadiens could be tempted to pass on him aside from his KHL contract and his passport? Are there elements of his game that you think teams are concerned about? —Arpon Basu

Pronman: He’s listed at 5-foot-10, but some scouts feel he’s closer to 5-foot-9. He’s an elusive skater, but has average footspeed, and is a one-way winger. I think he could be a star, but I admit if he did become that he would be a unique star. There aren’t many impact NHL players in my lifetime who look and play like him, and there is a chance his game won’t translate to a high degree in the NHL. There’s nobody in the NHL who looks like Michkov, but there are 25 Reinbachers.

2. His size/position combo (though he is more advanced physically than I think he gets credit for).

3. His skating (which I also think is stronger than it usually gets credit for).

4. He’s got some tendencies/habits that I’d like to see him slowly work away from in terms of some of the ways he uses his linemates, too.

I think ultimately the game-breaking, first-line skill level and historic production win out, though. There may not be any players like Michkov in the NHL in terms of makeup, but there aren’t many playing in the NHL who had a statistical profile like his either and you can find the ones who did with a quick scroll through the league’s top scorers.

You know, unless by same miracle or the  GM’s before us really blow their picks and the consensus top players slide, I’m kind of hoping we take Michkov. We aren’t going to be a playoff team for at least another two years, so if he came over for the third year, he could have the same impact as Kaprizov, and potentially be better than him.

My only concern is getting another Kostitsyn in a draft that is being pegged as another 2003 type of draft.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Montreal Canadiens

I don’t know what to think about the idea that there are no players in the NHL that play like Michkov. 

Meaning his game is unusual or so sloppy that players like him don’t make it? 

I’m glad that I’m not making these decisions. I’m getting Galchenyuk vibes here

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Unique prospect is meaning.

Am guessing you know as little as i do about his mindset. And would bet you your paycheque that Hughes-Bobrov-etc know bit more than we do. So not too worried, will be interesting and very dependent on how the 3rd/4th picks go.

2 hours ago, DON said:
9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Unique prospect is meaning.

Am guessing you know as little as i do about his mindset. And would bet you your paycheque that Hughes-Bobrov-etc know bit more than we do. So not too worried, will be interesting and very dependent on how the 3rd/4th picks go.

I’m sure Bobrov is probably the best guy to provide the intel needed to make the right decision.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Fantilli didn't hurt his chances of going #2 today. A beautiful goal. 

Barron had an assist on the goal, but was pretty slick goal, yup.

just another mock draft

https://theathletic.com/4522876/2023/05/23/nhl-mock-draft-2023-pronman-wheeler/

5. Montreal Canadiens (Pick by Wheeler): Ryan Leonard, RW, NTDP

29. Montreal Canadiens (Pick by Wheeler): Andrew Cristall, LW, Kelowna

37. Montreal Canadiens (Pick by Wheeler): Michael Hrabal, G, Omaha

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I also think Leonard at 5 is a reach

'Supposedly' Habs mgmt or scouts likes him. Maybe not at 5 though?

Wouldnt be a popular choice i dont think.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I dont think MTL is drafting a goalie at 37...

I also think Leonard at 5 is a reach

I tend to agree but there are always some surprises.  If Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith are the 1st four taken then they have a big decision to make.  I would love to see them trade up and get Carlsson but not sure what it would cost or if it's even possible. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I tend to agree but there are always some surprises.  If Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith are the 1st four taken then they have a big decision to make.  I would love to see them trade up and get Carlsson but not sure what it would cost or if it's even possible. 

Would it be a big decision though? The obvious choice would be Matvei Mitchkov at that point. I would not be passing him up at 5 personally.  

33 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Would it be a big decision though? The obvious choice would be Matvei Mitchkov at that point. I would not be passing him up at 5 personally.  

I'm with you but there are rumblings that Hugort has no interest in him.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

It is a big decision. Less of a big decision if you are very confident he will come over in 3 years.  If he drops to 5 it means other teams are not that confident. I would love to see Michkov in Montreal, I am just not sure at this point how big the risk is that he will not come over. I am confident Hughes will have done his homework and will make a good decision. 

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Who cares when we last had an all-star forward? How is that pertinent to the task of building the best team possible from here on out? Also, we had a #1 overall pick last year; are we now concluding that Slaf will not be an all-star forward? If he’s not, then WTF did we draft him?

How do we know Cole Caufield - who bids fair to be a 50-goal scorer - will not qualify? And if he does, won’t it follow that Suzuki will hit at least a PPG?

And what, we should not draft an all-star D-man just because we had PK Subban and Shea Weber in the past decade, so that means we don’t “need” one going forward?

So nope, I don’t buy the logic. We should draft BPA. If that is a defenceman, then great - it follows that we’ll have a franchise defenceman for the next 15 years, assuming the projections are right. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This certainly sounds encouraging.  If true then the Habs should take him at 5.  Of course, if true there is less of a chance he will be available at 5. 

Only questions I’ve got are

1) how real are some of the concerns about his skating?? Games a lot faster now, how does he compare to his to the fastest elite skaters like McDavid? Is he at least average? Below average?

2) Does he project to be like a bure - not big, but Howe skilled scorer? How does his speed compare to Bure who was fast - but was from a slower era? 

3) does he project to be a franchise type player, or an elite top line winger, with a 2nd line floor?

3) what are any non-Russian factor/contract status concerns??

if his skating is still well above average, and there are no other concerns, I’d take him. Although it sounds like he may go #4, which doesn’t make a lot of sense - I would have thought SJS would be wanting a centre and their owner is looking for a faster rebuild. 

honestly, I think the fact that he is under contract, is a benefit. It saves us from Mgmt trying to rush him!!!

if he turns out to be a franchise type player, and Slafkovsky pans out, and Dach, Suzuki and Caufield continue to progress, we have our forward core with some other good prospects, and need to focus on building the D.

With no Russian war/contract issues.... Michkov would be the #1 overall pick in nearly every draft in the last decade.  The exceptions are McDavid and Bedard.  He would be in a Taylor vs Tyler debate with Auston Matthews.  On everyone else you'd take Michkov. 

He'd be second overall without the questions. 

The skating isn't McDavid level, but very few are.   He could improve, but its more than good enough that it doesn't hurt him. 

The shot is off the charts. 

The passing ability is outstanding. 

The smarts in the offensive zone are incredible too, both with and without the puck. 

The only question is his defensive game.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

With no Russian war/contract issues.... Michkov would be the #1 overall pick in nearly every draft in the last decade.  The exceptions are McDavid and Bedard.  He would be in a Taylor vs Tyler debate with Auston Matthews.  On everyone else you'd take Michkov. 

He'd be second overall without the questions. 

The skating isn't McDavid level, but very few are.   He could improve, but its more than good enough that it doesn't hurt him. 

The shot is off the charts. 

The passing ability is outstanding. 

The smarts in the offensive zone are incredible too, both with and without the puck. 

The only question is his defensive game.

Do you see anyone taking him at #3 or #4? I can’t see Fantelli dropping.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Do you see anyone taking him at #3 or #4? I can’t see Fantelli dropping.

Apparently some teams have carlsson over fantilli.  I dont but its possible.

Columbus is likely to take a centre at 3. I think thats whoever is left between fantilli and carlsson.

The question is San Jose.  Do they take him?