Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

Q&A with Harris

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/qa-recap-jordan-harris/c-344894292

$$$

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/tampa-bay-lightning-to-sell-minority-stake-at-nhl-record-1-4-billion-valuation

Dubois;

Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
While #sens and #njdevils have elected for arbitration on Alex DeBrincat and Timo Meier, the #nhljets have not elected the same for Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Three high profile RFAs. Three different situations. Two different angles of attack

Montembeault says he prefers an extension to free agency:

https://theathletic.com/4611568/2023/06/14/sam-montembeault-wants-extension-canadiens/

“I love being here, I like the group of guys too. I think that the organization is going in the right direction, so I just want to be a part of it.”

1 hour ago, DON said:

Q&A with Harris

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/qa-recap-jordan-harris/c-344894292

$$$

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/tampa-bay-lightning-to-sell-minority-stake-at-nhl-record-1-4-billion-valuation

Dubois;

Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
While #sens and #njdevils have elected for arbitration on Alex DeBrincat and Timo Meier, the #nhljets have not elected the same for Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Three high profile RFAs. Three different situations. Two different angles of attack

I like this quote from Harris. It’s true - one kind word from an NHL player can make a kid’s day, or week, or entire year. I’ve always kind of been in awe at that; it’s like a super-power. NHLers are in an incredibly privileged position to bring joy to people with very minimal effort, and it’s nice to see that Harris understands and appreciates that.

Just because of how I was raised, honestly. I think that having a platform and being a player in the NHL, it's so easy to be a good person. It's so easy to reach out, meet people, say hi and give off that good energy. When you're young, meeting NHL players is the coolest thing ever. I still have photos and stuff and you remember that stuff for a lifetime. Now, being in that position and thinking that I might have some sort of small, positive impact on a young child or on a person of similar upbringing that I do, I just think it's so important. I take it as more of a responsibility to give back and it's huge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like this quote from Harris. It’s true - one kind word from an NHL player can make a kid’s day, or week, or entire year. I’ve always kind of been in awe at that; it’s like a super-power. NHLers are in an incredibly privileged position to bring joy to people with very minimal effort, and it’s nice to see that Harris understands and appreciates that.

Just because of how I was raised, honestly. I think that having a platform and being a player in the NHL, it's so easy to be a good person. It's so easy to reach out, meet people, say hi and give off that good energy. When you're young, meeting NHL players is the coolest thing ever. I still have photos and stuff and you remember that stuff for a lifetime. Now, being in that position and thinking that I might have some sort of small, positive impact on a young child or on a person of similar upbringing that I do, I just think it's so important. I take it as more of a responsibility to give back and it's huge.

No doubt, Harris is a tremendous young man. He gets it. 

"All these rumours could be smoke and mirrors, and Hughes could sit quietly and use all his picks. If they decide to move up to second or fourth overall, they will pick a center and Dubois will no longer be in the mix. If they don’t, they will probably trade for Dubois and draft a winger like Michkov or Ryan Leonard. Either way, the Habs will improve their team."

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-trading-up-2023-draft-change-plan/

2 hours ago, DON said:

"All these rumours could be smoke and mirrors, and Hughes could sit quietly and use all his picks. If they decide to move up to second or fourth overall, they will pick a center and Dubois will no longer be in the mix. If they don’t, they will probably trade for Dubois and draft a winger like Michkov or Ryan Leonard. Either way, the Habs will improve their team."

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-trading-up-2023-draft-change-plan/

What kind of assets would we need to ship out in order to trade up a spot or two?

I guess either way, we’re shipping something out - whether for Dubious or to move up. 🤷‍♂️ 

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What kind of assets would we need to ship out in order to trade up a spot or two?

Heard just cost the 31st pick to move up 5th to 2nd, from a french fellow noted "a" GM told him.

I kinda assumed would be much more than that this year?

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2023-06-16/rondelle-libre/qui-s-offrira-t-il-au-ch-lors-du-repechage.php?ref=habseyesontheprize.com

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Heard just cost the 31st pick to move up 5th to 2nd, from a french fellow noted "a" GM told him.

I kinda assumed would be much more than that this year?

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2023-06-16/rondelle-libre/qui-s-offrira-t-il-au-ch-lors-du-repechage.php?ref=habseyesontheprize.com

image.png

That "gestionnaire" is funny ... and clearly (IMO) not successful ... if that was all it cost in ANY draft there would be a lot more such trades every year ... let alone in this draft.

Thanks for the laugh.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guess either way, we’re shipping something out - whether for Dubious or to move up. 🤷‍♂️ 

I would be surprised if Hoffman, Armia and Dvorak are still part of this team come training camp. Hoffman and Armia I think if we can't trade them they will be bought out. Dvorak I think still has trade value because he's under contract to a cap friendly deal, and if we're trading for a better center he'll be part of what's going the other way. 

But this is the best time of year, I think the draft week and free agency has past the trade deadline in my opinion. So it should be a interesting next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I would be surprised if Hoffman, Armia and Dvorak are still part of this team come training camp. Hoffman and Armia I think if we can't trade them they will be bought out. Dvorak I think still has trade value because he's under contract to a cap friendly deal, and if we're trading for a better center he'll be part of what's going the other way. 

But this is the best time of year, I think the draft week and free agency has past the trade deadline in my opinion. So it should be a interesting next few weeks. 

I don't think that HuGo want to create any dead cap space for 24/25 going forward ... so no buyouts (IMO).

Hoffman either plays out his deal (maybe traded at deadline) or gets swapped for another teams' pending UFA problem (e.g, Mantha) if they don't want him around (there were rumours he was a lone wolf in the locker room).

Armia might get traded with some salary retention (say $1.25-1.7M) or in a bad-for-bad type deal for someone who fits better in the Habs roster ... next June he ***might*** be a buyout possibility if there is no better option.

I agree that Dvorak has some value and might well be traded.

I would be surprised to see any buyouts right now as I don't think cap space for next year is a big problem. Let time erode the value of the cap hit, we are still rebuilding. 

But this is the best time of year, I think the draft week and free agency has past the trade deadline in my opinion. So it should be an interesting next few weeks. 

This makes zero sense. Try and trading those three sure!  But why would we want to buyout anyone right now? We aren’t making the playoffs next year, why create dead cap space when we are ready to challenge for a playoff spot?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This makes zero sense. Try and trading those three sure!  But why would we want to buyout anyone right now? We aren’t making the playoffs next year, why create dead cap space when we are ready to challenge for a playoff spot?   

Which is exactly why Vancouver's buyout of OEL seems immensely stupid to me. They are not going to be a playoff team anyway ...

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Which is exactly why Vancouver's buyout of OEL seems immensely stupid to me. They are not going to be a playoff team anyway ...

They think they can be.  Their problem is that they had to clear money somehow simply to keep the group they have together.  I didn't think they'd go this route either but I guess they feel better about that than paying assets to clear someone like Garland off the books.

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They think they can be.  Their problem is that they had to clear money somehow simply to keep the group they have together.  I didn't think they'd go this route either but I guess they feel better about that than paying assets to clear someone like Garland off the books.

With Bear out, too? I think their chances are not much better than the Habs'. They'll be cursing that dead cap for years.

I think it’s a great move for Van. They clear a player who would have been a colossal cap anchor for the next four years (!). It’s quite big news that ownership was willing to bite the bullet, too…buyouts have not been on the table for a long time in Van.

As for their playoff chances, I think things will look better if they get a complete season from Demko.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the last thing we need is another LHD. 

Yup., 

Will Xhekaj start season in Laval, or will one of Harris-Xhekaj-or Guhle be used in trade for a young RH d-man in the next 2 weeks? 

(Or is Reinbacher gonna be long term upgrade https://www.habsworld.net/2023/06/2023-draft-profile-david-reinbacher/, with Mailloux hopefully making it also)

Dont think you want any of the 3 in the pressbox (Wideman is horrible on defense; but good in locker room and knows his 7th-d role) and Harris seems unlikely to play 2nd pairing right side, bit much to ask.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

With Bear out, too? I think their chances are not much better than the Habs'. They'll be cursing that dead cap for years.

Bear was what, their fifth defenceman?  Not a huge loss.  Frankly, I had him in non-tender territory; this injury might be a blessing in disguise as it might be enough to get him to take a pay cut.

Their offence is good enough for a playoff team.  If Demko goes back to form, their goaltending is good enough.  They need some help defensively now but now they have some money to bring in a piece or two to round that unit out.  They're certainly not contenders but on paper, that roster should be good enough for them to be in the mix.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Bear was what, their fifth defenceman?  Not a huge loss.  Frankly, I had him in non-tender territory; this injury might be a blessing in disguise as it might be enough to get him to take a pay cut.

Their offence is good enough for a playoff team.  If Demko goes back to form, their goaltending is good enough.  They need some help defensively now but now they have some money to bring in a piece or two to round that unit out.  They're certainly not contenders but on paper, that roster should be good enough for them to be in the mix.

That’s exactly my sense of it. Vancouver is in no way a model franchise - Benning was one of the dumbest GMs in the game, they have meddling owners, they jerked around Boudreau in an appalling manner, and they are stuck with tons of cap millstones - but the team’s reputation is artificially deflated because they had some of the worst goaltending in hockey last season. Demko is a stud, but he was out for 3/4 of last season.

I also think coach Tocchet will bring in a more structured game than goofy Boudreau. 

If, as you say, they can add a D-man or two, they’ll compete. The other proviso is that Hughes, Demko, and Pettersson have to stay healthy.

The weirdest thing in Van is the calls for a rebuild. When you have a top-5 NHL C, and top-5 NHL D, and a top-15 G, all young, you don’t rebuild. The whole point of rebuilding would be to acquire those pieces! But the hell of it is, they’ve got way too much cap money sunk into mid-roster clunkers. Their drafting has hit some key home runs but the ‘middle’ has been missing. They resemble pre-2022 Edmonton in that sense. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Will Xhekaj start season in Laval, or will one of Harris-Xhekaj-or Guhle be used in trade for a young RH d-man in the next 2 weeks? 

(Or is Reinbacher gonna be long term upgrade https://www.habsworld.net/2023/06/2023-draft-profile-david-reinbacher/, with Mailloux hopefully making it also)

Good question. The young guys have to play somewhere and if Matheson, Edmundson, Harris, Xhekaj, Guhle are all healthy (???)  then there is a logjam. Apparently Harris can play the right side but that may be a big adjustment at the NHL level. I could possibly see one of the young guys traded if the right deal came along to move up in the draft. The draft will be very interesting and will answer a lot of questions, likely the Dubois question will get figured out depending on who they take at the draft. 

54 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Good question. The young guys have to play somewhere and if Matheson, Edmundson, Harris, Xhekaj, Guhle are all healthy (???)  then there is a logjam. Apparently Harris can play the right side but that may be a big adjustment at the NHL level. I could possibly see one of the young guys traded if the right deal came along to move up in the draft. The draft will be very interesting and will answer a lot of questions, likely the Dubois question will get figured out depending on who they take at the draft. 

Honestly, moving Edmundson is the obvious play. But in terms of identifying which young D to keep and which to maybe part with, that’s where management earns its salary. Wrong decisions in assessing players who are still very much in development can haunt a team for years, obviously.