Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

I can't see them trading for a RD at the moment, when we have at least four (Tourigny would make five) credible young players/prospects on the right side, Savard on the roster for another two seasons and some left-side D flexible to play on the right. Maybe in a year or two if some of those prospects don't pan out, but not now.

thank you, "Big Georges"

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

thank you, "Big Georges"

I just saw that same pic on FB.  

Right on, I've been wanting to see that happen for years.  I hope he is working with more than just Pezzetta though.  I'm sure he could help WiFi and numerous others.  

The next thing I've wanted to see the Habs do is bring in MAB or Souray to help the young dmen improve at taking shots from the point and how to get the pucks down low to the net.  

The Xhekaj brothers wear their hearts on their sleeves – on and off the ice - Daily Faceoff

Which NHL teams have improved the most this offseason? Rating all 32 teams - The Athletic

Agree Edmundson gone is good.

9. Montreal Canadiens
Goal Difference added: 5.6
Salary added: $0.3 million

In: Alex Newhook

Out: Jonathan Drouin, Joel Edmundson"

..."Most of the goal difference Montreal added this offseason is simply by way of trading Edmundson.

Ylonen, another forward in a crowded group.

The Curious Case of Jesse Ylonen Remaining Unsigned – HabsWorld.net

Hopefully St Louis doesnt have to juggle as many different players this season, maybe HSP-Slaf-Xhekaj all start in Laval, till injuries call up?

Will Hughes likely make room, before the waiver date, same as when got Kovacevic last year? 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Ylonen, another forward in a crowded group.

The Curious Case of Jesse Ylonen Remaining Unsigned – HabsWorld.net

Hopefully St Louis doesnt have to juggle as many different players this season, maybe HSP-Slaf-Xhekaj all start in Laval, till injuries call up?

Will Hughes likely make room, before the waiver date, same as when got Kovacevic last year? 

I am not as convinced as some that Ylonen would be claimed on waivers, or that it would be terrible if he was ... they are crowded up front this season and have prospects in the pipeline for next season and beyond ... just don't see Ylonen in the rebuild mix.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I am not as convinced as some that Ylonen would be claimed on waivers, or that it would be terrible if he was ... they are crowded up front this season and have prospects in the pipeline for next season and beyond ... just don't see Ylonen in the rebuild mix.

i think you are undervaluing him. Maybe he will be traded or be part of trade (with Hoffman?), need to move a forward it seems?

5 hours ago, DON said:

i think you are undervaluing him. Maybe he will be traded or be part of trade (with Hoffman?), need to move a forward it seems?

Time will tell.

On 7/23/2023 at 10:59 AM, DON said:

I’m pretty sure he’d be claimed. He seems to be a legit NHL player…what’s not clear is whether he will ever become a top-6 guy, or if he’ll burble under as part of that interchangeable mass of bland bottom-6 wingers that circulate around the league. Definitely now or never for him, but last season he seemed to establish that he can play. 

For what is worth;

2019; 5 Caufield- 9 Newhook- 11 Dach

Re-drafting the 2020 NHL Draft: Tim Stützle and Jake Sanderson lead do-over - The Athletic

19 Guhle 

23 Farrell 

28. Ottawa Senators: RHD Justin Barron
Actual draft pick: No. 25 (change: -3) to Colorado (now with Montreal via trade)
My final ranking: No. 46 (change: +18)

Barron was a safe pick then and he has safely worked out since. His game screamed solid, two-way No. 4-5 defenceman who is better than a third-pairing depth guy and probably slightly below the true core guys. And that’s what he’s in the process of becoming.

11 hours ago, DON said:

For what is worth;

2019; 5 Caufield- 9 Newhook- 11 Dach

Re-drafting the 2020 NHL Draft: Tim Stützle and Jake Sanderson lead do-over - The Athletic

19 Guhle 

23 Farrell 

28. Ottawa Senators: RHD Justin Barron
Actual draft pick: No. 25 (change: -3) to Colorado (now with Montreal via trade)
My final ranking: No. 46 (change: +18)

Barron was a safe pick then and he has safely worked out since. His game screamed solid, two-way No. 4-5 defenceman who is better than a third-pairing depth guy and probably slightly below the true core guys. And that’s what he’s in the process of becoming.

I find it hard to believe there were four guys better than Caufield in 2019, but what do I know. 

Those crawling pieces of dog feces the Ottawa Senators really nailed the 2020 draft year, unfortunately. We keep drafting #3 overall and getting turkeys like Galchenyuk and KK; the Sens do it and, of course, they get stud #1C Stutzle, no problem. 😤

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I find it hard to believe there were four guys better than Caufield in 2019, but what do I know. 

Those crawling pieces of dog feces the Ottawa Senators really nailed the 2020 draft year, unfortunately. We keep drafting #3 overall and getting turkeys like Galchenyuk and KK; the Sens do it and, of course, they get stud #1C Stutzle, no problem. 😤

Looking at the Athletic article from 10/22, they have the '19 draft as:

1 Hughes

2 Seider

3 Zegras

4 Cozens

5 Byram

6 Boldy 

7 Caufield

Dach 10, Newhook 16 

54 minutes ago, huzer said:

Looking at the Athletic article from 10/22, they have the '19 draft as:

1 Hughes

2 Seider

3 Zegras

4 Cozens

5 Byram

6 Boldy 

7 Caufield

Dach 10, Newhook 16 

That's the Pronman redraft, the Wheeler 2019 redraft has Caufield at #5. Well done in any case.

I'd put Hughes ahead of Caufield. 

Seider and Boldy... we can have the debate as to who is better but at this point those three players is still a debate and can be in any order. 

The rest?  I'm taking Caufield over them right now.  Zegras gets hype for his lacrosse pass, but the guy is good top 6 forward right now, and not more than that yet.  Same with Cozens.  Byram has potential but has also had some concussion issues. 

• Upvote 1

Kinda guessed he was bit heavier than could be, 238lbs is impressive but.

Slafkovsky eyes improvement: 'I'll play better than in my rookie season' | theScore.com

"The 6-foot-3 winger is hopeful that he's "100% now," adding that he's lost some weight and expects to be faster on the ice. Slafkovsky has also been working to improve his lung capacity and said he's "seeing a positive change."

4 hours ago, DON said:

Kinda guessed he was bit heavier than could be, 238lbs is impressive but.

Slafkovsky eyes improvement: 'I'll play better than in my rookie season' | theScore.com

"The 6-foot-3 winger is hopeful that he's "100% now," adding that he's lost some weight and expects to be faster on the ice. Slafkovsky has also been working to improve his lung capacity and said he's "seeing a positive change."

I don't expect an all-star season but I do expect progression.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I don't expect an all-star season but I do expect progression.

a full season and no concussions will be the lowest of expectations. 
If he plays consistently well on a third line, I will be happy but only if it is earned and not handed to him 

anything beyond that would surpass my expectations. He is a big forward, I expect him to need a couple of seasons to become a dominant top 6

With logjam at forward, Slafkovski is one who can go to the AHL.

Would he be better off there with lots of icetime, than 3rd line with habs, at least to start season?

Or is that unlikely, given he is a #1 pick and his play was 'OK' last year?