Habs acquire (rights to) Alex Newhook from Avs

huzer

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-acquire-rights-to-alex-newhook/c-345041844?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0627-AlexNewhook

Montreal Canadiens general manager Kent Hughes announced on Tuesday that the team has acquired the rights to forward Alex Newhook in exchange for Montreal's 31st (previously acquired from Florida) and 37th overall picks in 2023 and defenseman Gianni Fairbrother.

• Upvote 1

• huzer changed the title to Habs acquire (rights to) Alex Newhook from Avs
29 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Just saw this. I don't much about Newhook only that he is a really good skater and has some skill. Perhaps didn't get the opportunity in Colorado. He didn't come cheap as picks 31 and 37 are valuable in this draft. 

He got the opportunity to fill Kadri's shoes at the start of the season, but the 2nd year Newhook wasn't up to the task. The Avs need to win now, more than wait a couple more years for Newhook to blossom. Still, with Compher unsigned (yet) as a UFA, it leaves them a little thin down the middle after McKinnon and Johansen. Yes, Rantanen plays C as well. Anyway, I think he was miscast as a 2nd line C and projects better as a winger. Of course, there's lots of talk like that with young Cs, so we shall see.

Price seems a little high (when just considering the draft capital), but hopefully he's able to flourish here with some new direction. It's hard for a player (as we saw with Caufield/Ducharme) to get back into any good graces once the coach has lost confidence. That's how it appeared in CO with Newhook. Most fans here would probably (and unfairly) offer to drive Newhook to the airport.

• Like 1

Well I'm excited for one as a Newfoundlander myself, gonna be really rooting for Newhook! But I'm also a fan of the deal outside that. I think Newhook has potential as a nice member of the top 6. Really reminiscent of the Dach deal last year.

Go Habs Go!

From another angle, could Newhook be part of a deal going to Winnipeg for Dubois?? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Why?

There's currently 6 roster centers.  Even if Dach shifts to wing, which I don't think is a great idea, and Newhook moves to wing as Commandant pointed out he also plays, it still leaves 4 roster center with no room for young centers unless there's an injury.  This doesn't guarantee a trade, but usually teams try to use their excess to fill gaps. The RD and wings are weaker.  Seeing as the goal seems to be the playoffs this year, they need to shore up some holes.

I don't believe this would mean drafting a winger as @IN THE HEARTS OF MEN suggested.  The only real winger worth drafting at 5th is Michkov, if still available, but loading up on centers now won't have much of an effect when Michkov could potentially be in the NHL in 3 more years.

2 minutes ago, REV-G said:

From another angle, could Newhook be part of a deal going to Winnipeg for Dubois?? 

I would say very doubtful since the LA trade for Dubois is in the contract negotiation stage. 

You never know what's going on behind the scenes. 

Draft BPA. 

I don’t see why acquiring Newhook obviates that principle.

If we have a logjam at C, move Dvorak. 

However, we have holes at W and will have more in the near future. So some of these C may end up on the W regardless.

• Upvote 1

This seems like some good instant analysis https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/montreal-canadiens-instant-analysis-alex-newhook-trade-kirby-dach-nhl-draft/ I especially like the following line:

It is a gamble, to be sure, but so is making their picks at #31 and #37

Initial reaction is an overpayment but let’s see what the kid has. 

I wonder if Newhook is part of a package going to Winnipeg 🤔

Im also curious if Newhook plays wing like Dach did, alongside Suzuki?

Caufield - Suzuki - Newhook

Slafkovski - Dach - Monahan 

Anderson - Dvorak - Gallagher 

It feels like Christmas and tomorrow can’t get here soon enough!

1 hour ago, huzer said:

He got the opportunity to fill Kadri's shoes at the start of the season, but the 2nd year Newhook wasn't up to the task. The Avs need to win now, more than wait a couple more years for Newhook to blossom. Still, with Compher unsigned (yet) as a UFA, it leaves them a little thin down the middle after McKinnon and Johansen. Yes, Rantanen plays C as well. Anyway, I think he was miscast as a 2nd line C and projects better as a winger. Of course, there's lots of talk like that with young Cs, so we shall see.

Price seems a little high (when just considering the draft capital), but hopefully he's able to flourish here with some new direction. It's hard for a player (as we saw with Caufield/Ducharme) to get back into any good graces once the coach has lost confidence. That's how it appeared in CO with Newhook. Most fans here would probably (and unfairly) to drive Newhook to the airport.

When that's who you spend most of your ice time with, 30 points is pretty good. 

• Like 1