Newhook signs 4-year, $2.9M AAV deal

Meller93

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think the qualifying offer really matters if he does break out - he will get paid either because he won’t accept thr qualifying offer or go to arbitration. The buyout that would be required if he busts, would also be less right?

It doesn't matter if he breaks out but it does matter if he doesn't.  If he's still a 30-35-point player, a $2.1M qualifier is easier to stomach than something closer to $3M.

The buyout factor shouldn't come into play here.  If they buy him out at any point of the deal, it's only at a one-third rate instead of two-thirds thanks to his age.

Michael Ryder 2.0...kidding (Mikey had 85g in his 1st 3 yrs with Habs, was bigger slower different player i know)

Habs sign Alex Newhook – HabsWorld.net

The RHP and Newhook extensions are smart money for the Habs – Hab At Her

"Newhook was asked about his initial reaction to the trade, and he spoke to the emotional element. Colorado was the team that drafted him, his first NHL team, the team that he enjoyed a Stanley Cup run with. But the next reaction is what is important. He said he felt a lot of excitement about coming to a younger team “with a bit more opportunity.” "

21 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Draft picks are important, but yes, fans tend to fall in love with them. The infinite potential they represent is always more exciting than the actual players you secure with them. 

That is so true, a lot of picks don't work out especially once you get to late 1st round picks and beyond. Newhook is skilled, scored 14 goals on an excellent team playing 3rd line minutes and is still only 22. I think we have seen what his floor is, hopefully his ceiling is much higher and I think St. Louis is the kind of coach that will find it. 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How contract at this point isn’t going to alter my perception one way or the other right now. If he proves to be a good, productive and consistent top 6 it will be a great contract. If he is a 10-15 goal scorer/25-35 point guy 3 years from now, it will be about what he should be getting, if he drops off he’ll be overpaid and bought out like Zadina.

Exactly, I don't see much downside here but a lot of upside. 

how to "rain on my parade" 2.0

image.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
adding photo for those without twitter account

3 hours ago, DON said:

Michael Ryder 2.0...kidding (Mikey had 85g in his 1st 3 yrs with Habs, was bigger slower different player i know)

Habs sign Alex Newhook – HabsWorld.net

The RHP and Newhook extensions are smart money for the Habs – Hab At Her

"Newhook was asked about his initial reaction to the trade, and he spoke to the emotional element. Colorado was the team that drafted him, his first NHL team, the team that he enjoyed a Stanley Cup run with. But the next reaction is what is important. He said he felt a lot of excitement about coming to a younger team “with a bit more opportunity.” "

Michael Ryder was also older than Newhook is now, when he played his first NHL game.  So at the same age Newhook is 27 goals ahead

Its all perspective. 

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Bobby Smith...

A sadly forgotten Hab...probably because he was still in the shadow of the 1970s greats, despite his winning a Cup as #1C in 1986.

That said, we were never going to retire his number, so good on Newhook for claiming a proper jersey number instead of one of those stupid 'practice jersey' numbers like 37 or 62.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Michael Ryder was also older than Newhook is now, when he played his first NHL game.  So at the same age Newhook is 27 goals ahead

Its all perspective. 

So OK Bigger, slower, older and a different type player... but still a Newfie.

Will he be the 2nd best Newfoundlander the Habs have had or the best?

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Newhook will be the fifth player from Newfoundland and Labrador to suit up for the Canadiens — which has a strong fan following in Newfoundland and Labrador — joining Michael Ryder, Darren Langdon, Terry Ryan and Brad Brown.

Ryder was an excellent goal scorer for the Habs (84 goals in 260 Games, 26.5g/82Gm) ... I expect it may take some time for Newbook to score at that pace, but he could still be a better all-round player.

2 hours ago, DON said:

If he is even close to ryders production, the trade is very good and the contract is a steal.

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

If he is even close to ryders production, the trade is very good and the contract is a steal.

You figure he more likely be a 15-20g scorer?

• 2 weeks later...

The H Does NOT Stand For Habs: New Kid in Town (habsloyalist.blogspot.com)

"Newhook isn't coming to Montreal a complete stranger. He's good friends with Justin Barron and has played with Kaiden Guhle in the past. He also knows former draft-mates Kirby Dach and Cole Caufield. He laughs at the suggestion that perhaps the Canadiens are trying to collect the whole 2019 first round...although his presence makes three."