Hoffman gone, Petry and Casey DeSmith and picks in.

Meller93

This is freeing up forward spots for Slafkovsky, RHP, Ylonen, Heineman to compete for.

Adding a second rounder.

Allen will go on the market as a rental.

And another RHD where we lacked some depth.

Given last season.  I dont think anyone wants petry right now.  Maybe at the deadline.  He was bad in Pitt.

I think wed have to retain salary.

• tomh009 changed the title to Hoffman gone, Petry and Casey DeSmith and picks in.

When I saw the headline for the trade, my assumption was the Price contract was involved to make the cap space work.  Really surprised on Hoffman being apart of it and Petry coming back to Montreal.

Petry’s best years were in Montreal so I can 100% see this as a rental at the deadline in hopes he bounces back in some capacity.  It also adds a veteran RD for the young kids.

Isn’t DeSmith basically a younger Allen?  Career solid backup?

So Habs "only" on hook for $4,687,500 ... might make him easier to move.

4 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

When I saw the headline for the trade, my assumption was the Price contract was involved to make the cap space work.

Trading Price's contract cannot make it easier for another team to take on all or part of a contract like Karlsson ... Carey would just go from taking up LTIR on Habs cap to LTIR for whatever new team.

I really hope they flip Petry before training camp starts, but that will be a tricky move. 

Petry is a LD, so that gives the Habs Petry, Harris and Guhle as natural left shooting blueliners.  The other five defencemen are right shooting.

I'll need a little time to digest this trade, but will have more to say when the Habsworld WWI article is published sometime this week.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Yeah the more I look at it, the more likely I think my initial thought was wrong and we are flipping him. 

Perhaps an Allen and Petry package or perhaps not. 

2.35 (if we retain on Petry) is gonna be very attractive to some team, no matter how he played last year. 

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I don't like the fact that he has two years left on his deal. This reduced cost does help somewhat, but not with the cap hit. That said, we don't have a lot of NHL-ready RHD prospects, so this will buy the organization some time at that position, allowing the kids of develop properly. Which I like.

I appreciate the G options. This works on three levels. One, it's an Allen replacement if we can get value for him. Two, if Allen is breaking down and injury-prone, this allows us to sustain NHL netminding in his absence, which is valuable if our goal is to at least be half-decent this season. Three, it offers a buffer if Monty takes a step back.

The 2nd rounder is very welcome.

Last thought: I love that the Habs are involved in these sorts of complicated, three-way deals. It shows that our GM is willing to be creative and dynamic, as opposed to being a linear-minded plodder.

Very little to criticize here, IMHO, other than Petry's term.

4 minutes ago, habscout said:

I really hope they flip Petry before training camp starts, but that will be a tricky move. 

Petry is a LD, so that gives the Habs Petry, Harris and Guhle as natural left shooting blueliners.  The other five defencemen are right shooting.

I'll need a little time to digest this trade, but will have more to say when the Habsworld WWI article is published sometime this week.

Petry is a RD

That was my (minor) issue with the Petry for Mattheson trade last year was flipping a RD for a LD. Of course getting the better player still made it the right move, but that took away from it being a perfect deal. 

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't like the fact that he has two years left on his deal. This reduced cost does help somewhat, but not with the cap hit.

Salary retention same as cap retention ... can't do one without the other.

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This is freeing up forward spots for Slafkovsky, RHP, Ylonen, Heineman to compete for.

Adding a second rounder.

Allen will go on the market as a rental.

And another RHD where we lacked some depth.

Given last season.  I dont think anyone wants petry right now.  Maybe at the deadline.  He was bad in Pitt.

I think wed have to retain salary.

Still have 14 "NHL" forwards (including Slaf, RHP, Pezetta and Ylonen ... so, one of those (IMO Pezetta or Ylonen) goes to Laval to get to 13 forwards ... I expect Heineman starts season in Laval unless he cracks the Top 9 (hopefully he is more than a 4th liner).

Moving Hoffman and Pitlick ... good (even if Pitlick was realistically always Laval bound)

Added seconder rounder ... good

Allen on market ... good (although DeSmith may be easier to move at slightly less than half the AAV)

Veteran RHD to trade or stabilize D to start the season ... good

Pissing off Mrs. Petry ... good

Joey like

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Pissing off Mrs. Petry ... good

😀

This raises an interesting question about NTCs. Petry contract, signed as a Hab, has a 15-team NTC. By definition the Habs would not be on that list.

When he was dealt to PITS, would he have the chance to change the list? Or is the list a fixed thing, once given?

I'm asking, because if the list is fluid, then in effect Mrs. Petry would have agreed to come back here. If it's fixed, then Nelson Muntz Transparent PNG - 1024x799 - Free Download on NicePNG

Washington seems very committed to dinosaurs ... err ... veterans ... wonder if they might want to pair Petry with Edmundson?

Petry for Nic Jensen?  ... Jensen $637.5K lower AAV but one more year of term

Petry and Dvorak for Matha, Trevor van Riemsdyk and right to swap first rounder in 2024 or 2025? ... contract one season longer than Petry but $1.6875M lower AAV, so perhaps easier to move down the line ... Mantha is a pending UFA, so helps with cap space next summer

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This raises an interesting question about NTCs. Petry contract, signed as a Hab, has a 15-team NTC. By definition the Habs would not be on that list.

When he was dealt to PITS, would he have the chance to change the list? Or is the list a fixed thing, once given?

I'm asking, because if the list is fluid, then in effect Mrs. Petry would have agreed to come back here. 

I believe many/most have to be submitted by a certain date (usually July 1s)... so maybve he didn't update it ... or maybe they HATED it in Pittsburgh ... but most likely I expect HuGo have promised Petry he will be dealt.

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Petry and Allan will both be traded before the season starts to get us under the cap. Unless by some miracle we find someone to take on Armia's or Dvorak's contract.

Being under the cap would be a different experience.

BTW ... Kudos to Hughes ... good move.

BEWARE ==>  something on this tread is tripping my antivirus: trojan detected <== BEWARE

that being said, I am ecstatic and thrilled with this trade. got rid of Hoffman and Pitlick's NHL contract spot, got a NHL caliber RD (although in decline) and an NHL caliber goalie backup/dept... plus a draft pick

Regardless to what happens next, this trade in itself is a win.

I much rather be stuck with the bad Petry contract, who is a decent RD on a reduced role; than to be stuck with the ad Hoffman contract AND the extra NHL spot Pitlick was taking.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

This year the habs need a top 4 rd. Petry is that. I say keep him. As long as he doesn't act like a baby and hurt his performance.

Matheson & Petry might be interesting pairing, not in a million years would i guess he would be back in a Hab jersey.

(Hoffman gone thank god; but Whiny Petry back...hmm)

*** IF *** Petry makes to training camp, I wonder what number he wears

image.png