Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

• 2 weeks later...

"the 47th edition of the Canadiens Golf Tournament, which will be held on Monday, September 11, 2023, at Club Laval-sur-le-Lac."

https://fondation.canadiens.com/en/rsvp-canadiens-golf-tournament/

Hockey season is getting closer and closer :hyper:

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

"the 47th edition of the Canadiens Golf Tournament, which will be held on Monday, September 11, 2023, at Club Laval-sur-le-Lac."

https://fondation.canadiens.com/en/rsvp-canadiens-golf-tournament/

Hockey season is getting closer and closer :hyper:

Excited for the season. Preseason, not so much.

On 8/24/2023 at 12:45 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m itching to see Newhook play and I’m super excited to see if Slafkovsky has improved. 

Im also stoked at the possibility of having a player in the Rocket Richard trophy race. 

Go Habs Go

Would like to see what a line of

Slafkovsky / Monahan  / Newhook  could do together.  I think they would have nice chemistry together.

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Slafkovsky / Monahan  / Newhook  could do together.  I think they would have nice chemistry together.

Maybe?

Not many lines stay together long more duos seem to, like Monahan-Slafkovski seem like smart combo to try at least, with a vet centre for the big kid to work with.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Maybe?

Not many lines stay together long more duos seem to, like Monahan-Slafkovski seem like smart combo to try at least, with a vet centre for the big kid to work with.

I thought Slafkovski look good and played his best hockey with Monahan at center on his line. Newhook could add a different look to that line. Anyway just my food for thought. 

4 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I thought Slafkovski look good and played his best hockey with Monahan at center on his line. Newhook could add a different look to that line. Anyway just my food for thought. 

They weren't together all that much last season (more or less three games) so that's a small sample size to work off of.  http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/forw_20JS.html  I honestly don't even remember the two playing together as Monahan was mostly in the top six before his injury.

That said, if Dach starts as the 2C and Monahan the 3C, I think Slafkovsky could very well wind up on his wing to start and having a veteran middleman to work with him certainly does make some sense.  I wouldn't be shocked if they try to start Newhook in the top six though.

8 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Once Dvorak is back I kind of think that Monahan will be on Dach’s wing as a face off buffer. Quite possibly Newhook on the other wing. 

I want Slafkovsky to see top 6 minutes with top 6 players but I expect that Marty will have him on the third line. 

Im still not convinced that HuGo are done with our roster yet either 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They weren't together all that much last season (more or less three games) so that's a small sample size to work off of.  http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/forw_20JS.html  I honestly don't even remember the two playing together as Monahan was mostly in the top six before his injury.

That said, if Dach starts as the 2C and Monahan the 3C, I think Slafkovsky could very well wind up on his wing to start and having a veteran middleman to work with him certainly does make some sense.  I wouldn't be shocked if they try to start Newhook in the top six though.

I wouldn’t mind having Dach start on the top line - get him producing and later shift him to centre. I like having Monohan with Slafkovsky and Newhook. Can mentor both. Also allows Monohan to split time at centre with  take important faceoffs and shelter Newhook a bit.

Longterm, we need one of Dach or Newhook to become a bonafide legit 2nd line centre. For one of them to good enough as a 1a/1b type option would be ideal and help make the rebuild a success.

funny how MB always said you can’t trade for too centewa - had to draft them. Both that he drafted were duds. The two he traded for Domi and Drouin (failed conversion experiment), were duds. Suzuki was a great pickup - but only because the guy they wanted (Glass was unavailable).

on the other hand, Hughes had picked up two guys in successive years that have the potentially yo be legit #1b (Dach), and #2 (Newhook) centres.

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I want Slafkovsky to see top 6 minutes with top 6 players but I expect that Marty will have him on the third line. 

Laval might be smartest option, but doubt is happening.

I didnt think Newhook played centre.

I guess Monahan might be good mentor for him as well.

image.pngimage.png

Heineman , how close is he to prime time.

"I've never played an official game in the NHL, but based on the three preseason games I was used in last year, I'm confident I have what it takes not only to earn a regular position with Montreal, but also to help the team."

Emil Heineman: a short answer... which says a lot - TVA Sports

8 hours ago, DON said:

I didnt think Newhook played centre.

I guess Monahan might be good mentor for him as well.

That's his natural position.  But with his size and playing style, some think he's a better fit on the wing.

5 hours ago, DON said:

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/08/getting-the-habs-into-cap-compliance/

Paper shuffling of players to fit Carey's $$ in.

I've been meaning to get to this one for a bit as I had a few requests for it.  Basically, it's easy to get Price on in-season LTIR.  The better question is can the Habs stay out of it altogether and actually bank some cap space?  If that's the plan, expect a lot of shuffling early in the season.

48 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Poor Dvorak... 6th on C depth...

Surely 2 of those 6 will be used on the wing when everyone is healthy.

I think we are still 2 pending deals away from our opening line up choices

I think we are closer to two AHL d’émotions than trades. But I agree the roster needs tweaking 

8 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Poor Dvorak... 6th on C depth...

Surely 2 of those 6 will be used on the wing when everyone is healthy.

I think we are still 2 pending deals away from our opening line up choices

One of Newhook/monahan will play wing and dvorak is better than Evans... so hes fourth imo.

Still at his salary/effectiveness, think he can be moved, maybe as part of a package to get a young goalie.

1 hour ago, sim.on said:

Not sure if this is right thread, but saw from The Hockey Guy that Michkov is already a healthy scratch at SKA for whatever that's worth. 

From cherry-picked draft video, seemed most in Habs group were pretty high on Reinbacher, so fingers crossed he turns out great.

But likely be similar to passing on Shane Wright last year, we hope Habs made best choice or that at worst Slafkovski does very well. 

I'd rather have Pezzetta as the 13th or 14th forward than someone like Heineman. 

Pezzetta sitting in the pressbox is fine, but a player who has less than 20 games in North America needs to continue to play and develop on this sized ice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'd rather have Pezzetta as the 13th or 14th forward than someone like Heineman. 

Pezzetta sitting in the pressbox is fine, but a player who has less than 20 games in North America needs to continue to play and develop on this sized ice. 

Yes. That’s the whole reason why you have marginal plugs like Pezzetta - to keep the benches warm until they can be replaced the (hopefully) superior talent developing properly in the minors.