Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

interesting:

image.png

Smilanic coming and basically saying he's turning pro is...well, odd.  I'm not sure he cracks Laval's roster right now and the idea of leaving college to go play in the ECHL doesn't make a lot of sense.  Also interesting to see Parker-Jones listed as a D as he barely played D last year.

I'm not sure on what Smilanic's school schedule is, but as long as he pays his own way and his classes haven't started yet, he's allowed to attend a rookie camp per NCAA rules.

Most schools start before rookie camp, but there have been a handful that started afterwards and have appeared at camps over the years.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm not sure on what Smilanic's school schedule is, but as long as he pays his own way and his classes haven't started yet, he's allowed to attend a rookie camp per NCAA rules.

Most schools start before rookie camp, but there have been a handful that started afterwards and have appeared at camps over the years.

It does happen where an NCAA-bound player goes to this camp (I went back through some of the old rosters and found one from 13 years ago) but this is a bit more telling about his plans:

That's not saying he's thinking about leaving, that's saying he's left.  (Which I don't think is necessarily the right move for him.)

I have to wonder whether Wisconsin might have made the decision, and not Smilanic ... I'm not certain that scholarships are "guaranteed" contracts ... schools have been known to "run off" players to get back a scholarship slot.

I own a pizza bar one town over from Quinnipiac University and have a lot of QU students that frequent here and work here as well. 

Two of my bartenders knew Ty personally. One managed the campus watering hole and the other was an Ice Cat. Both took classes with him. 

Common thread from both of them was that he was arrogant, cocky and full of himself. 

He was THE star of that team two years ago and chose to go to Wisconsin last year.

Lo and behold QU wins the national championship.  That might have hurt his ego too. 

Not saying any of this is related but thought is was interesting to have some insight from people who had classes and hung out with him. 

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

I own a pizza bar one town over from Quinnipiac University and have a lot of QU students that frequent here and work here as well. 

Two of my bartenders knew Ty personally. One managed the campus watering hole and the other was an Ice Cat. Both took classes with him. 

Common thread from both of them was that he was arrogant, cocky and full of himself. 

He was THE star of that team two years ago and chose to go to Wisconsin last year.

Lo and behold QU wins the national championship.  That might have hurt his ego too. 

Not saying any of this is related but thought is was interesting to have some insight from people who had classes and hung out with him. 

I 100% believe you that the kid was cocky and his head is too big.

Reality is he was never "the star" at quinnipiac either 

21 points in 29 games as a freshman isnt bad, but even his second year 

23 points in 41 games, showed no signs of progression.

He was 4th in team scoring as a freshmann and 6th as a sophomore.  

Seems he got cocky cause his draft position and USNTDP status and let things slide as far as working to produce what was expected.

David Reinbacher among 27 players invited to Canadiens' rookie camp | Montreal Gazette

Laval Rocket head coach J.F. Houle and his staff — including Kelly Buchberger, Martin Laperrière and Marco Marciano — will run the rookie camp.

The rookies will take part in a tournament Sept. 15-18 in Buffalo, playing games against the Sabres, Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators.

Here’s the complete list of players invited to the Canadiens’ rookie camp.

Forwards: Mesar, Owen Beck, Jared Davidson, Isaac Dufort, Sean Farrell, Cédrick Guindon, Emil Heineman, Riley Kidney, Riley McKay, Jan Mysak, Jakov Novak, Joshua Roy, Xavier Simoneau, Ty Smilanic, Florian Xhekaj.

Defence: Reinbacher, Mailloux, Stanislav Demin, Noah Laaouan, Christopher Ortiz, John Parker-Jones, Jayden Struble, Miguël Tourigny, William Trudeau.

Goalies: Jakub Dobes, Quentin Miller, Jan Spunar.

The Canadiens’ main training camp will open on Sept. 20 in Brossard.

On Monday Hughes takes questions post Golf tourny.

2023 Montreal Canadiens Roundtable  | NHL.com

Of the kids at rookie camp am assuming that; Beck (9gm?), Roy (looked good last camp), Heineman, Farrell & Reinbacher (dont see a spot for him, nor should he be; but is shiny new toy) are only ones who realistically might crack opening day roster.

Heineman and Farrell seem closest. 

Beck i think is OHL bound for sure. His second half was not close to as good as his first half of the season last year.  

Roy hasn't played much pro hockey against men, so he needs the AHL time. 

Reinbacher is all but confirmed to go back to the Swiss league. 

Still I don't think any of them make it, given the fact that RHP and Ylonen are ahead on the pecking order, and all of these guys can go down without waivers. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

... Beck (9gm?) ...

Barring injury, not certain there is roster room to give Beck 9 games

i would think Heineman Ylonen Andersson RHP and Pezzetta are fighting for the final spot in top 12 and 1 press box (if the team is healthy to start)

CC Suzuki Anderson

Newhook Dach Monahan

Slav Dvorak Gallagher

?? Evans Armia

RHP

Ylonen

Andersson

Heineman

Pezzetta

Considering our roster depth... Roy, Kidney, Beck and Mesar would have to blow the lid off the Bell Centre to make the team out of camp

Id personally like to see this

CC Suzuki Monahan

Slav Dach Newhook 

Anderson Dvorak Gally

RHP Evans Ylonen

Armia

and hope Heineman is to good to send down which puts major pressure on Armia to be more consistent

13F 

7D

3G

I still believe we have another two moves coming our way

Dvorak i think was said is likely out for 1st week or 2, is only reason i mentioned Beck maybe short term 4th line centre., before going back to OHL and playing in world juniors. 

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Subject to pre-season, I think more likely Monahan at C and both Ylonen and RHP at wing, until Dvorak returns.

I agree, but I also brought up Lias Andersson as having the potential to win a centre spot out of camp, depending on how he looks. 

Beck is not ready yet, don't rush him

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I agree, but I also brought up Lias Andersson as having the potential to win a centre spot out of camp, depending on how he looks. 

Beck is not ready yet, don't rush him

Agree on Beck.

Andersson: I don't really have a good understanding of why he has failed to make an impression in the NHL, but if he can do it with the Habs, that's certainly a good thing.

Clearly he failed with the Rangers

Last year he was with the Kings and tearing up the AHL, but of course the Kings are deep at centre, both on their team with Kopitar, Danault, and Gabe Vilardi filling the top three lines, but also they want their own top prospect in Quentin Byfield to make an impact and had him on the roster most of last year, and they have another top C prospect in Rasmus Kupari too.

I'm not sure how much opportunity he was ever gonna get with LA, even with him rebuilding his career on their AHL club. 

I'm not guaranteeing anything with this guy, but he's one I want to watch and see if there is something there. 

• Like 1

Annual golf outing today and Hughes is to do Q&A today sometime.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/09/news-and-notes-from-mondays-golf-tournament/

"Juraj Slafkovsky

While some (myself included) have mentioned they’d like to see Slafkovsky spend some time in Laval, that doesn’t appear likely to be the case.  Head coach Martin St. Louis said that he would be surprised if the 2022 first-overall pick wasn’t with Montreal to start the season.  Slafkovsky also stated that he lost some weight over the summer which could help him skate a bit quicker in his second season."

BOOooo!

35 minutes ago, DON said:

"Juraj Slafkovsky

While some (myself included) have mentioned they’d like to see Slafkovsky spend some time in Laval, that doesn’t appear likely to be the case.  Head coach Martin St. Louis said that he would be surprised if the 2022 first-overall pick wasn’t with Montreal to start the season.  Slafkovsky also stated that he lost some weight over the summer which could help him skate a bit quicker in his second season."

BOOooo!

I am trying to keep an open mind on Slafkovsky. He is coming to camp a year older, a year wiser and has a much better idea what to expect. He might really surprise us. 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am trying to keep an open mind on Slafkovsky. He is coming to camp a year older, a year wiser and has a much better idea what to expect. He might really surprise us. 

Let's hope. They committed to not developing him properly IMHO, but that doesn't mean he won't get on the learning curve and ultimately succeed. For the sake of the rebuild, he has to. Fingers crossed.