2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

Funny thing about PLD...he would look POTENTIALLY look pretty good in the event that Dach turns out to be damaged goods. Assuming that his current struggles are aberrant. The trouble, of course, is the contract. Maybe we could ship them Anderson, LOL.

5 hours ago, DON said:

The NHL’s best surprises and biggest disappointments halfway through the 2023-24 season - The Athletic

Image result for h =a ha image funny

Kings;

Biggest disappointment: PL Dubois not making a difference

That was the goal when Kings general manager Rob Blake moved Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo and Rasmus Kupari for the 25-year-old Dubois. He was supposed to give Los Angeles unparalleled depth at center, fitting in with Anze Kopitar, Phillip Danault and Blake Lizotte. Instead, Dubois is headed for career lows over a full season as he’s on a pace for just 15 goals and 34 points. He had three goals in his first four games and has only four in 33 since. ...

And there were guys here wanting to give him $9m🙄

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about PLD...he would look POTENTIALLY look pretty good in the event that Dach turns out to be damaged goods. Assuming that his current struggles are aberrant. The trouble, of course, is the contract. Maybe we could ship them Anderson, LOL.

He seems to have the entitled Drouin syndrome.

54 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He seems to have the entitled Drouin syndrome.

I would have thought we all knew that Drouin's issues were not feeling "entitled".

• Upvote 1

It's amazing how quickly things can turn around. It looked 3 weeks ago like the Oilers had a very slim chance of finishing top 3 in their division. Now they are 1 point behind the Kings who have lost 8 in a row.  They are only 6 points behind Vegas with 3 games in hand. Skinner seems to have turned things around and/or they are playing a much better defensive game. 

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I would have thought we all knew that Drouin's issues were not feeling "entitled".

His issues most likely resulted by not being able to live up to the pressure he faced. When he was in Tampa, and was sent down, or wasn’t getting ice time, he pouted. Than MB made one of his many bonehead mistakes of handing a guy who hadn’t proven anything a long term deal - which Drouin was never able to live up to.

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

His issues most likely resulted by not being able to live up to the pressure he faced. When he was in Tampa, and was sent down, or wasn’t getting ice time, he pouted. Than MB made one of his many bonehead mistakes of handing a guy who hadn’t proven anything a long term deal - which Drouin was never able to live up to.

The thing with Drouin is, if you’re depressive and have mental health issues and can’t stand high pressure situations, then don’t ratchet up the pressure by publicly demanding to be traded because your team sent you temporarily to the minors. Anyway, he’s out of our hair now.

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Maybe if LA retains 20% and takes Dvorak we can liberate them of PLD... 😁

I don’t know what the heck PLD’s problem is either. He is obviously capable of being a big, strong, 65-70 point C. Maturity seems to be an issue; offhand I can’t think of another player under 25 who put two teams in the situation where they had to trade him because he wanted out.

Nevertheless…I have a feeling, though, that in a couple of years we’ll be hearing about how important he is to LA, that he’s “matured” and “grown comfortable” with where he is, he’s playing a great game, blah blah blah. The guy we’re seeing on the ice right now is NOT the guy he has been in his young career.

In other words, IF I’m a GM (like Hughes) who has carefully scouted PLD and IF there are no rumours about substance abuse or other such issues, I might be sniffing around to see if he can be acquired on the cheap, with salary going back. 🤷‍♂️ But I’d only be doing it out of concern that injury-prone Dach may not work out.

GREAT video with John Tortorella explaining that trade deadlines mean making tough decisions that are best for the organization but can upset some players/fans.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

GREAT video with John Tortorella explaining that trade deadlines mean making tough decisions that are best for the organization but can upset some players/fans.

The Flyers have been a huge surprise this year and certainly Torts has to be in the running for coach of the year along with Rick Tocchet. A good interview and he is right about not getting too emotionally attached to players as tough decisions have to be made. 

No Ruzicka?  No problem !

Have Bonino instead :D

image.gif

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont want to use a contract spot on a 35 year old washed up guy. Just let Condotta play.

Exactly, why even consider it. It's not like the Habs are a contender and need depth. Bonino has had a long NHL career, played on 8 different NHL teams, kudos to him. The Habs don't need to be the 9th team. 

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No Ruzicka?  No problem !

Have Bonino instead :D

If Arizona picked up Ruzicka, that means that the Habs passed on him (because we would have had priority over the Coyotes). So, there is clearly no need for a substitute.

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Exactly, why even consider it. It's not like the Habs are a contender and need depth. Bonino has had a long NHL career, played on 8 different NHL teams, kudos to him. The Habs don't need to be the 9th team. 

The "thought" was dependent on HuGo perhaps wanting to leave Condotta in Laval for the good of that team the rest of the season ... but clearly that is not the plan.

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The "thought" was dependent on HuGo perhaps wanting to leave Condotta in Laval for the good of that team the rest of the season ... but clearly that is not the plan.

And that would make sense if their 1st priority or at least a high priority was to help Laval but as you say, they have other plans. 

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If Arizona picked up Ruzicka, that means that the Habs passed on him (because we would have had priority over the Coyotes). So, there is clearly no need for a substitute.

I didn't put it in the trade proposal thread but here because the Habs may pick up that good 'ol 35 y/o if they trade Monahan and need a plug for the 4th line.

but (and most probably) the Habs would not pick up Bobino if they did not pick up Ruzicka. So, maybe Bobino would fit with another team than the Canadiens who struck out on Ruzicka... and that is why it is in this league-wide thread.

:tumbleweed: (that is Bobino tumbling by the Habs)

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I didn't put it in the trade proposal thread but here because the Habs may pick up that good 'ol 35 y/o if they trade Monahan and need a plug for the 4th line.

but (and most probably) the Habs would not pick up Bobino if they did not pick up Ruzicka. So, maybe Bobino would fit with another team than the Canadiens who struck out on Ruzicka... and that is why it is in this league-wide thread.

:tumbleweed: (that is Bobino tumbling by the Habs)

If the trade Monohan, they may take an expiring bad contact back - which should further increase Monohan’s value.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If the trade Monohan, they may take an expiring bad contact back - which should further increase Monohan’s value.

good point 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:00 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The thing with Drouin is, if you’re depressive and have mental health issues and can’t stand high pressure situations, then don’t ratchet up the pressure by publicly demanding to be traded because your team sent you temporarily to the minors. Anyway, he’s out of our hair now.

I don’t know what the heck PLD’s problem is either. He is obviously capable of being a big, strong, 65-70 point C. Maturity seems to be an issue; offhand I can’t think of another player under 25 who put two teams in the situation where they had to trade him because he wanted out.

Nevertheless…I have a feeling, though, that in a couple of years we’ll be hearing about how important he is to LA, that he’s “matured” and “grown comfortable” with where he is, he’s playing a great game, blah blah blah. The guy we’re seeing on the ice right now is NOT the guy he has been in his young career.

In other words, IF I’m a GM (like Hughes) who has carefully scouted PLD and IF there are no rumours about substance abuse or other such issues, I might be sniffing around to see if he can be acquired on the cheap, with salary going back. 🤷‍♂️ But I’d only be doing it out of concern that injury-prone Dach may not work out.

I think we've seen enough, on ice and off. He is supposed to be in his prime right NOW.

Bullet dodged. Maybe Hughes knew all along.

I wonder how much of an influence Bergevin had on bringing him to LA?

Philly dropped a 6-2 game to Boston this afternoon in spite of outshooting them 37-28. Ersson 10 saves on 14 shots, Peterson 12 on 14. They might be looking for goaltending sooner rather than later.