2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont think its that big an IF that he will play well in the AHL.  He's always been fine in the AHL.  Its the NHL where hes struggled.

Yeah - I didn’t see any Laval games, but it looked like he was productive until he got injured. Worth a look if he can finally be productive at the NHL level before his contract is up.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah - I didn’t see any Laval games, but it looked like he was productive until he got injured. Worth a look if he can finally be productive at the NHL level before his contract is up.

Yes, 9 points in 13 games. But Xhekaj has recorded 9 in 10 games, and Armia 9 in 8. So, productive, yes, spectacular, no. And a small sample size still.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, 9 points in 13 games. But Xhekaj has recorded 9 in 10 games, and Armia 9 in 8. So, productive, yes, spectacular, no. And a small sample size still.

I have no idea if he will do well at the NHL level, but we are running out of forwards and we dont have to worry about interrupting development with him like we would with Roy, farrell, Kidney, etc... so id give him the next call up is all Im saying.

Consider he scored 31goals last season.

Andersson has 130 career AHL points in 174 career games (0.75 PPG).

He has proven to be good at that level, it's no longer small sample size.

Laval Rocket overcome multiple deficits to win in shootout (habseyesontheprize.com)

"Thoughts

I had previously opined, on the topic of Justin Barron’s play, that Xhekaj should be brought up to replace him. I’m willing to eat some crow on that, not only because Barron has been playing better, but because Xhekaj appears to be learning a lot on the farm. He’s an imposing presence in the AHL, his offensive game is looking more refined, and he looks like he’s really figuring out how to defend without chasing and putting himself out of position. This run with the Rocket might be just what he needed to find another level to his game. When you’re wrong, you’re wrong."...

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Laval Rocket overcome multiple deficits to win in shootout (habseyesontheprize.com)

"Thoughts

I had previously opined, on the topic of Justin Barron’s play, that Xhekaj should be brought up to replace him. I’m willing to eat some crow on that, not only because Barron has been playing better, but because Xhekaj appears to be learning a lot on the farm. He’s an imposing presence in the AHL, his offensive game is looking more refined, and he looks like he’s really figuring out how to defend without chasing and putting himself out of position. This run with the Rocket might be just what he needed to find another level to his game. When you’re wrong, you’re wrong."...

I was reading an article in the Athletic where the Rocket's coach was just raving about Arber's play, it took him a couple games to get going but he has gone on a tear recently.  He has 3 goals and 9 points in 11 games which is pretty darn good for a defensemen who many think of as just a tough guy. I think many here have underestimated his offensive potential.  I expect/hope Arber will have a long career in a Habs jersey but a little time in the AHL is rarely a bad thing. 

Canadiens’ Arber Xhekaj is making most of AHL demotion and paying it forward in Laval - The Athletic

"Or it will be Logan Mailloux, whose play has also improved in Laval after a difficult start. And the beauty of that for the Canadiens is Mailloux’s improvement has a lot to do with playing with Xhekaj, the current victim of the overcrowded blue-line situation in Montreal."

1 minute ago, DON said:

Canadiens’ Arber Xhekaj is making most of AHL demotion and paying it forward in Laval - The Athletic

"Or it will be Logan Mailloux, whose play has also improved in Laval after a difficult start. And the beauty of that for the Canadiens is Mailloux’s improvement has a lot to do with playing with Xhekaj, the current victim of the overcrowded blue-line situation in Montreal."

That's the article I was referring to. Thanks for posting. They have been a pretty good duo in the AHL, the future looks bright on defense. 

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Xhekaj is awesome 🤩 

No he is double awesome!   LOL  

I like Arber like you like Beck.  The potential is huge, just has to be a little more disciplined defensively. He is certainly smart enough to figure it out. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No he is double awesome!   LOL  

I like Arber like you like Beck.  The potential is huge, just has to be a little more disciplined defensively. He is certainly smart enough to figure it out. 

I’ll borrow the line from an add:

One Xhekaj is good,

two Xhekaj is better

There is a lot to be excited about in the future. I wish we could fast forward to next season; I hardly watch the games live anymore: PVR/fast-forward most

Go Rocket Go!

Go Habs Go!

BUT hopefully they do not listen to the fans who want to rush him back to the NHL ... no player's career was ever damaged by too much time in the AHL ... he was never a dominant defenceman in the OHL ... let him fully develop his game and give him his best possible NHL future.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

BUT hopefully they do not listen to the fans who want to rush him back to the NHL ... no player's career was ever damaged by too much time in the AHL ... he was never a dominant defenceman in the OHL ... let him fully develop his game and give him his best possible NHL future.

Simply is no room for him with Habs at moment also.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Simply is no room for him with Habs at moment also.

Now you've gone and jinxed the defencemen on the NHL roster.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Now you've gone and jinxed the defencemen on the NHL roster.

I think the move to the Bell Centre did that!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I am pretty confident Hughes does not read these chat boards or listen to the fans. 

It's true he was never dominant in the OHL, that's why he wasn't drafted. He is a late bloomer who is still developing. Defensemen take time, I am sure Hughes will bring him up at the right time. 

seems like Beaudin wants a trade:

Of course he wants to play more, who doesn't?  He sees the writing on the wall and knows he has no future with the Habs.  Frankly, he should have known that before he signed this contract.  He's probably eighth on Laval's depth chart right now so his best shot at a contract somewhere next year is a change of scenery.  If you want your player-for-player swap to add a forward, this is the one to move.  They won't get an NHL asset but they could get a decent AHL forward to replace Stephens who is probably up for the long haul now.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Add Brady Keeper to the list of players injured in this one.  Nice that they got the two points but it came at a price.

Bourque, FArrel and Keeper