2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

1 minute ago, REV-G said:

If Savard is moved, what do you think a reasonable return would be? 

A 1st? 2nd? Or a decent prospect?? 

after watching him turn over the puck on the first goal against TBL and play goalie in front of Montembeault on the third goal... I am not sure Habs get much in return.

Late 2nd in my flustered state right now. Probably a decent prospect (mid-6 forward potential) and a 3rd.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if it is the injury, I hope it is not the type that forever limits him, like Drouin's wrists (I could not think of anything else, not looking to trigger anyone).

His goal where he stole the puck from Stamkos was great and if that is the type of player he may become, I would not mind. I am glad his latest drought comes under MSL as coaching will not be questioned; last time it happened it got the coach fired.  I am hopeful that he will learn from this season and be a more productive player in the future. I have felt most of the time he would hover around 30 goals for the best part of his career, and because of my lower expectations I am happy with his development.

Totally fair point about expectations.

I am just so sick of the Habs never having elite offensive talent…I want CC to be the pure scoring machine he’s at times seemed to be, and the Suze-CC combo to become an iconic pairing. I’m still not convinced this is unrealistic. But maybe it is. 

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Totally fair point about expectations.

I am just so sick of the Habs never having elite offensive talent…I want CC to be the pure scoring machine he’s at times seemed to be, and the Suze-CC combo to become an iconic pairing. I’m still not convinced this is unrealistic. But maybe it is. 

Suzuki and Slafkovsky are a better duo right now, they complement well each other: can dangle in traffic, are very good along the boards, have good vision and do go to the front of the net. They would be better served by Newhook right now than Caufield.

I am still peeved at last year's draft where we did not tank to pick top-3, I really wanted the Habs to load up on elite forward talent last year.

Let's hope Caufield finds his touch again. Go Habs Go!

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

CC’s teammates can’t be the main cause of his limited production this season…he scored at a much higher clip last year, when his teammates were no better.

It’s possible that the cause is that he is focusing more on his 200-foot game. He wouldn’t be the first offensively gifted player to see his production drop as coaches lean on him to become a more rounded player. That troubles me, though, because it suggests that his ceiling may be lower than I thought; i.e., instead of becoming a reliable 40-goal man, he settles in as a 25-30 goal guy who is reliable in all zones. Which is nice and all, but not the Cole Caufield I was hoping for.

That’s why I really, really hope Commandant is right and that the real cause is after-effects of his shoulder surgery. His shot has not been going in as reliably this season, so that’s a plausible theory. We won’t really know until next season.

His shooting percentage is approximately 1/2 of what it was the rest of his career which lends support to his shot not being as good (shoulder)

46 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

after watching him turn over the puck on the first goal against TBL and play goalie in front of Montembeault on the third goal... I am not sure Habs get much in return.

Late 2nd in my flustered state right now. Probably a decent prospect (mid-6 forward potential) and a 3rd.

Think you are giving too much weight to individual plays.

Since Savard has another year on his contract, I expect the "return" may well include an offsetting contract ... likely a player the other team is to one degree or another "dumping" ... which would increase the value of the pick/prospect to be included.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Think you are giving too much weight to individual plays.

Since Savard has another year on his contract, I expect the "return" may well include an offsetting contract ... likely a player the other team is to one degree or another "dumping" ... which would increase the value of the pick/prospect to be included.

You are probably right on the contract dump, which I do not want since the Habs already have their share of that

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You are probably right on the contract dump, which I do not want since the Habs already have their share of that

IDEALLy, it could be a pending UFA.

HYPOTHETICAL example: if Savard were traded to NJD the "dump" could be Colin Miller (2024 UFA).

Get a kick out of posts dumping on Savard and then saying he’ll fetch a decent return in same breath.

A playoff team would love him as a depth option.

Habs now have no one capable of playing top pairing on right side.

Baron has been a big problem, playing Harris on his wrong side def isn’t helping his development and his progress has been stagnant.

Kovacevic is what he is by this point, decent third pairing, short stints as a #4 is realistic in emergencies.

There is nobody else capable of filling his role, so I don’t see him moving this year.  I don’t see an internal solution ready next year either, but figure one of Reibacher or Mailloux is the longer term plan for first pair right d.  They will likely get their chance next season once Savard is traded after New Year, can see another team’s injuries impacting this timeline more than anything else.

Montembault has also seen the shine wear off lately, can’t be allowing any softies.

So, is Slaf permanently first line now? 
I don’t think he consistently belongs there, shows flashes but feel he’s being given the spot moreso than earning it.   I suppose lack of other options is part of the factor, think Monahan should be there personally.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am still peeved at last year's draft where we did not tank to pick top-3, I really wanted the Habs to load up on elite forward talent last year.

Are you f'in kidding?

And how should they of tanked?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s possible that the cause is that he is focusing more on his 200-foot game. He wouldn’t be the first offensively gifted player to see his production drop as coaches lean on him to become a more rounded player. That troubles me, though, because it suggests that his ceiling may be lower than I thought; i.e., instead of becoming a reliable 40-goal man, he settles in as a 25-30 goal guy who is reliable in all zones. Which is nice and all, but not the Cole Caufield I was hoping for.

I believe he's learning the 200-foot game, and that means his focus is likely on improving that--and St-Louis should be an excellent mentor for that, having learned much of defensive play without losing his scoring skills (and he was also an undersized player, making the lessons even more applicable). Once Caufield has internalized the defensive aspects, he should be able to put more focus on scoring again.

7 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

I don’t think he consistently belongs there, shows flashes but feel he’s being given the spot moreso than earning it.   I suppose lack of other options is part of the factor, think Monahan should be there personally.

injuries is a part of the reason he is there. But for over one month he has been the most consistent right winger and for that he has earned it.

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Are you f'in kidding?

And how should they of tanked?

last year, like in 2023. We are in 2024 now :rolleyes: not last season: leading to picking 5th (Reinbacker)

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

last year, like in 2023. We are in 2024 now :rolleyes: not last season: leading to picking 5th (Reinbacker)

5 less wins it's all I am talking about:

image.png

28 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Get a kick out of posts dumping on Savard and then saying he’ll fetch a decent return in same breath.

A playoff team would love him as a depth option.

Habs now have no one capable of playing top pairing on right side.

Baron has been a big problem, playing Harris on his wrong side def isn’t helping his development and his progress has been stagnant.

Kovacevic is what he is by this point, decent third pairing, short stints as a #4 is realistic in emergencies.

There is nobody else capable of filling his role, so I don’t see him moving this year.  I don’t see an internal solution ready next year either, but figure one of Reibacher or Mailloux is the longer term plan for first pair right d.  They will likely get their chance next season once Savard is traded after New Year, can see another team’s injuries impacting this timeline more than anything else.

Montembault has also seen the shine wear off lately, can’t be allowing any softies.

I agree that no one is capable of playing those minutes on this team if our goal is to win games and make the playoffs. 

But the fact is, that Savard or no Savard we aren't making the playoffs. 

So whats the harm in trading him?

This team is not a playoff team with Savard as the top pair RD, they are not a playoff team with Barron, Harris, Kovacevic, or whoever playing those minutes either, so whats the difference. 

If you can get a good return for Savard, you trade him.  If you don't get the good return, you make the trade at the draft or next deadline, but its the same situation that we were in with Pacioretty and Chiarot and Edmundson.  They all needed to go as they weren't going to be part of the rebuild, and Savard isn't going to be part of this rebuild either due to his age. 

Finding a RD who can play top minutes is needed, but that needs to be someone younger. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Is there anyone who should replace him?

It would not surprise me at all if Matheson is the one that gets traded. Even though Matheson can’t directly be replaced. 

A top shelf forward prospect in return. 

Guhle, Harris, Struble, Xhekaj on LD

I don’t think Matheson is part of HuGo’s cup contender core group. LD is a position of strength for us. Matheson will fetch a strong return. 

Savard would be a depth trade for a contender and I don’t think there is a Chairot return in the cards. I think the return would be underwhelming. 

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It would not surprise me at all if Matheson is the one that gets traded. Even though Matheson can’t directly be replaced. 

I don’t think Matheson is part of HuGo’s cup contender core group. LD is a position of strength for us. Matheson will fetch a strong return. 

Savard would be a depth trade for a contender and I don’t think there is a Chairot return in the cards. I think the return would be underwhelming. 

I think they are both eventually moved, but due to circumstances and contracts, Savard goes first. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I do not think it is wise if the Habs trade Savard or Matheson this year.

Even next year, trading Savard would not be wise if try to forecast because there is too much uncertainty on how well Mailloux and Barron may or may not play next year.

I am not a fan of Savard's play, but even I can see how much he stabilizes the defense core and how much of a positive influence he is on the team.

Also, I doubt the Habs other LDs can produce as many points as Matheson produces. They are not at that level yet.

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not think it is wise if the Habs trade Savard or Matheson this year.

If Hughes can get the right return then I have no doubt he will pull the trigger as he should. Savard much more likely to go. 

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Also, I doubt the Habs other LDs can produce as many points as Matheson produces. They are not at that level yet.

They'll produce more if they start getting some PP time.

• Matheson: 4g+11a in 143:43 of PP
  • Barron: 1g+0a in 50:34 of PP
  • Xhekaj: 0g+0a in 17:43 of PP

All other defenders are seven minutes or less.

On the other hand, five on five:

• Savard: 0.51g+1.01a/60
  • Barron: 0.45g+0.56a/60
  • Guhle: 0.11g+0.75a/60
  • Xhekaj: 0.27g+0.54a/60
  • Matheson: 0.20g+0.59a/60
  • Struble: 0.25g+0.5a/60
  • Kovacevic: 0.61g+0a/60
  • Harris: 0g+0.40a/60

Matheson's scoring is mostly on the power play.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If Hughes can get the right return then I have no doubt he will pull the trigger as he should. Savard much more likely to go. 

Next year's deadline is my guess for Savard. Simply for veteran leadership they would be lacking next season. 

Trying to find a vet this summer like him, might be something Hughes might wanna avoid.