2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

57 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I don't want a top 10 pick next summer unless it's another team's. What do we need to do with the current team to start winning more? 

Reducing high danger chances against, is my first thought. Can associate coaching changes help this?

A second offensive threat is my second. Can Dach stay healthy and be that 2nd threat beside newhook?

I think the high danger chances will come down slowly as the defence core matures.  To me the key is a gamebreaker on the second line.

We need to find an elite level talent to play with dach/newhook so our lines become 1a/1b (and thats keeping the top line together).

This makes the third and fourth lines stronger too.  Imagine josh roy and armia/gallagher on the third line instead of the second like they finished the year.

Strengthening all the forwards leads to more possession and lowers chances against too.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We need to find an elite level talent to play with dach/newhook so our lines become 1a/1b (and thats keeping the top line together).

This makes the third and fourth lines stronger too.  Imagine josh roy and armia/gallagher on the third line instead of the second like they finished the year.

Strengthening all the forwards leads to more possession and lowers chances against too.

Ignoring the specific definition of "elite level" I very much agree. 🙂

Are you envisioning Roy-Evans-Armia on the third line, assuming that both Dach and Newhook would be on the second line, whichever one of them on C and the other on the wing--or Dvorak? I don't expect that either Beck or Kapanen would be ready for this next season. Evans and Armia have played together enough, particularly on PK, that they should have some chemistry by now.

Or try to trade Dvorak (with a sweetener?) and bring in someone like Anthony Richard for the 4C position?

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Ignoring the specific definition of "elite level" I very much agree. 🙂

Are you envisioning Roy-Evans-Armia on the third line, assuming that both Dach and Newhook would be on the second line, whichever one of them on C and the other on the wing--or Dvorak? I don't expect that either Beck or Kapanen would be ready for this next season. Evans and Armia have played together enough, particularly on PK, that they should have some chemistry by now.

Or try to trade Dvorak (with a sweetener?) and bring in someone like Anthony Richard for the 4C position?

I think Dvorak is near impossible to.trade without a sweetner.  I also agree that Beck and Kapanen likely need another year (though they could surprise in camp)

So to me its Dvorak, Evans and Gignac in a camp battle for the 3rd and 4th line spots with the betting favourite being Evans on 3 and Dvorak on 4.  Yes.

Wingers for those lines being a competition of Roy, Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, Harvey-Pinard and Pezzetta.  Unless someone is traded.

The sheer numbers here suggest there is room to add one forward.  So Im looking for a winger whi is considered a first liner on most NHL teams.  To make that 1a/1b dynamic.

Of course, a lottery win changes things and means im putting Celebrini on that second line as a winger to start and looking for him to be a centre by 2025-26.  Without that, im looking at a trade for the gamebreaker i want.

On 5/1/2024 at 5:28 PM, BCHabnut said:

What do we need to do with the current team to start winning more? 

Habs 26th in goals for & 27th goals against. 

Better offense, better defense will help, add a top six winger and/or 1st pairing RH-d maybe.

We do have Reinbacher and Mailloux so we may not have a gap at 1RD. Top-six forward situation is much more clear.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We do have Reinbacher and Mailloux so we may not have a gap at 1RD. Top-six forward situation is much more clear.

Yes, and nobody is trading away a top pairing RD unless you give away an arm, a leg and something else. 

An elite, top notch forward to add to the second line is our most pressing need. 

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We do have Reinbacher and Mailloux so we may not have a gap at 1RD. 

Neither is gonna play 25 minutes/game anytime soon.

One dosent appear to be a big scorer and one not so good defensively and neither has even played in the NHL yet.

So Savard or Guhle is It, for 2024-25 as of now and neither is a #1 RH d-man.

Of course would be very costly to get one, but team has simply been missing one since 2020-21, when Weber finished.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Neither is gonna play 25 minutes/game anytime soon.

One dosent appear to be a big scorer and one not so good defensively and neither has even played in the NHL yet.

So Savard or Guhle is It, for 2024-25 as of now and neither is a #1 RH d-man.

Of course would be very costly to get one, but team has simply been missing one since 2020-21, when Weber finished.

I agree that neither one is going to help next season, and maybe not the following season, either. But Gorton and Hughes are focused on building a long-term contender, and, for that, next season isn't critical. Finding a top-quality winger will help next season AND in the contention window, though.

Barron, he will be the de facto 2nd pair RD coming into training camp. His job to loose 

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Barron, he will be the de facto 2nd pair RD coming into training camp. His job to loose 

Barring additions/subtractions (by trade/signing/draft) ... it depends on whether Guhle is the 2nd pairing LD or the 1st pairing RD.

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Barring additions/subtractions (by trade/signing/draft) ... it depends on whether Guhle is the 2nd pairing LD or the 1st pairing RD.

Guhle IS the 2nd pair LD, he is not effective on RD as the team's stats show

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is still learning to play RD. I expect that St-Louis and Hughes want him to have that flexibility.

Guhle

Savard

Kovacevic

Harris

Barron

Matheson

Xhekaj 

Struble

There will be two players sitting for every game and I expect Barron to be part of that rotation. 

There is no way that Barron should be slotted as a second pairing. 

Posted (edited)

waivers exemption, anyone?

Edited by alfredoh2009

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

He is still learning to play RD. I expect that St-Louis and Hughes want him to have that flexibility.

AND, there is an open question whether Barron is effective as a Top 4 RD.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Barring any trades signings..... Savard and Kovacevic are also pure RHD on the depth chart with NHL time.  Guhle if playing RD is also ahead of him, and Jordan Harris is in this mix too. 

He's not defacto anything.... that spot is an open competition and he's the only one of the 5 who didn't spend the full season in the NHL this year. 

• Like 1

I feel Hutson has immediately shot up our depth chart and is in our top 4, or top 6 at the very least... For this reason, Guhle will remain on the right side. I also wouldn't rule out Guhle partnering Hutson on a 2nd pair.

Interesting ... Beck is ranked quite high on their list, ahead of Guhle and Roy. And Mesar is still above Mailloux, Xhekaj and Engstrom.

2 hours ago, DON said:

every now and then I check Dobber's rankings. They have not been accurate for the Habs in a couple of years.

Mesar should be higher, Mailloux should be ahead of Reinbacher and both should be near 8th. Farrell shouldn't be that high, etc.

This forum does a much better job in ranking prospects than Dobber.

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Interesting ... Beck is ranked quite high on their list, ahead of Guhle and Roy. And Mesar is still above Mailloux, Xhekaj and Engstrom.

Take with grain of salt, i dont necessarily agree neither; but is just from small poll of how some folks see the habs youth.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

every now and then I check Dobber's rankings. They have not been accurate for the Habs in a couple of years.

Mesar should be higher, Mailloux should be ahead of Reinbacher and both should be near 8th. Farrell shouldn't be that high, etc.

Worth noting, two of the players in their group rankings are players that were traded away two months ago (Mysak and Legare).

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dobber's rankings are for fantasy value only though.