2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

Personally, I didn't mind the article but I disagree with Matheson being a 9 because his D is questionable.

Guhles rating of 6 is likely based on the expectation of every player (and especially the younger guys) improving upon their last years performance.

Can anyone really say that Guhles play was a lot better this year than last?  For their other dmen that answer is yes but for Guhle I'm unconvinced the answer is yes.  I'm somewhat concerned that he might be WYSIWIG and this season he didn't do much to disprove my suspicion. 

14 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Personally, I didn't mind the article but I disagree with Matheson being a 9 because his D is questionable.

Guhles rating of 6 is likely based on the expectation of every player (and especially the younger guys) improving upon their last years performance.

Can anyone really say that Guhles play was a lot better this year than last?  For their other dmen that answer is yes but for Guhle I'm unconvinced the answer is yes.  I'm somewhat concerned that he might be WYSIWIG and this season he didn't do much to disprove my suspicion. 

Interesting post.

I like Guhle, but confess that I'm not as high on him as some around here. He's a top-4 guy for sure, but is he a bona-fide top-pairing D-man on a good team? I think that remains to be determined.

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like Guhle, but confess that I'm not as high on him as some around here. He's a top-4 guy for sure, but is he a bona-fide top-pairing D-man on a good team? I think that remains to be determined.

That's pretty much how I feel. I think Guhle will be a Hab for a long time, great attitude, excellent skater, needs to get stronger. He is still young. 

On 5/16/2024 at 4:29 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's pretty much how I feel. I think Guhle will be a Hab for a long time, great attitude, excellent skater, needs to get stronger. He is still young. 

Even at the world championships, Guhle has been rocked by several big hits, seems his self preservation awareness still could use improvement, or injuries will follow him.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:27 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Absolutely, a 6' 2" 190 lb, 19 year old defensemen can be physically imposing in junior, not so much in the NHL. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Even at the world championships, Guhle has been rocked by several big hits, seems his self preservation awareness still could use improvement, or injuries will follow him.

Guhle has always played a big player’s game. As Habs in Edmonton points out, Guhle can get away with that in junior at 190lbs but he can’t against most of the NHL. 

The guy desperately needs muscle and I expect the coaching staff already has him on that path. 

I think our coaches are excellent at working on areas of player’s weaknesses. 

I’m posting this team Canada roster here because of the Guhle discussion. On this mediocre team Canada, Guhle is a bottom pairing LD. 

No way Guhle makes the Olympic team. 

The guy is still very young but have we overrated him?

IMG_0455.jpeg

Some folks have overrated him, seems normal for Hab prospect biased outlook.

Not a clue how deep an olympic team would be, but he seems a long shot to make it. He just has 114 NHL games under his belt, he isnt a PP guy or likley to contribute much offensively.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Some folks have overrated him, seems normal for Hab prospect biased outlook.

Not a clue how deep an olympic team would be, but he seems a long shot to make it. He just has 114 NHL games under his belt, he isnt a PP guy or likley to contribute much offensively.

Yeah I think many have him pegged as a first pairing player and I’m not so sure about that. As we both said, he is young and only played 114 games so it’s too early to definitively peg him as anything. 

My current opinion is that Guhle will not be a first pairing guy but let’s see what happens 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah I think many have him pegged as a first pairing player and I’m not so sure about that. As we both said, he is young and only played 114 games so it’s too early to definitively peg him as anything. 

My current opinion is that Guhle will not be a first pairing guy but let’s see what happens 

And Bedard is the thirteenth forward on a weak team, so he's likely never going to be a top-line player ... right?

Just now, tomh009 said:

And Bedard is the thirteenth forward on a weak team, so he's likely never going to be a top-line player ... right?

Lol fair point Tom!

But the Guhle discussion has been going on for a while now and the team Canada roster is just a talking point. 

The Bedard decision has been heavily questioned in the media, Guhle’s spot hasn’t.

Bedard is also three years younger. Guhle is going be 23 this season and he is on the cusp of entering his prime (25 years old?). 

As I said, many people see Guhle as a first pairing guy in the future and I’m not so sure (based on his career so far). 

Being a first pairing defenceman and being part of a best on best (re Olympic team Canada) is not the same thing.

Only 8 defencemen will make that olympic team.  There are 64 first pairing D in the NHL, and the league is still about 50% canadian... so approx 32 Canadian Dmen would be first pair guys and only 8 make olympics.

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Being a first pairing defenceman and being part of a best on best (re Olympic team Canada) is not the same thing.

Only 8 defencemen will make that olympic team.  There are 64 first pairing D in the NHL, and the league is still about 50% canadian... so approx 32 Canadian Dmen would be first pair guys and only 8 make olympics.

That was just one talking point. 

We all know it’s too early to definitively cast Guhle as anything. 

The real question around this discussion is whether people believe Guhle is that #1 guy still. Many believed that he would be a top pairing when he came. 

Do you still see a top guy or a mid guy? 

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don't care if he is good enough to be on the next Olympics team. I want him to develop into at worst a minute munching 2nd pairing guy, that is at least the #3 on a contending team by 2026. Where he is today is not an issue.

• Upvote 1

Guhle-Reinbacher

or 

Guhle-Mailloux

both are intriguing possible pairings down the road

Guhle-Mailloux

Hutson-Reinbacher

Could be good. Maybe. Maybe a 1A/1B kind of combination, not an all-out 1D but two top pairings much better than the usual second pairing.

Just dreaming here, we really don't know yet whether Mailloux, Hutson or Reinbacher can do this ...

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Guhle-Mailloux

Hutson-Reinbacher

Could be good. Maybe. Maybe a 1A/1B kind of combination, not an all-out 1D but two top pairings much better than the usual second pairing.

Just dreaming here, we really don't know yet whether Mailloux, Hutson or Reinbacher can do this ...

This scenario makes sense to me. The 1a, 1b sounds reasonable. I don’t see Guhle as that traditional stud Dman but he could fit in the 1a, 1b

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't care if he is good enough to be on the next Olympics team. I want him to develop into at worst a minute munching 2nd pairing guy, that is at least the #3 on a contending team by 2026. Where he is today is not an issue.

yes, 100%

11 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This scenario makes sense to me. The 1a, 1b sounds reasonable. I don’t see Guhle as that traditional stud Dman but he could fit in the 1a, 1b

14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Maybe a Chris Tanev type, minus all the shot blocking? 

Minutes-munching, efficient #3 seems like a realistic aspiration. He’s not that far from that now. I do not agree with those who hope that he will ever be some top-pairing stud. I’m not seeing it so far.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I do not agree with those who hope that he will ever be some top-pairing stud. I’m not seeing it so far.

I think much depends on who he is paired with, too. And the right side, where he played much of the past season, is definitely not his optimal side.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think much depends on who he is paired with, too. And the right side, where he played much of the past season, is definitely not his optimal side.

I hate playing D on the wrong side. Especially young D. Let them develop properly FFS.

"Needs Assessment: High – The Habs made a mistake last year by not giving Dobes a quality backup to start with.  Yes, they thought at one point that one of Primeau or Casey DeSmith might back it there but they waited way too long to pivot."...

Assessing The Depth: Goaltenders – HabsWorld.net

I guess are thin in net, if one of the Hab goalies goes down.

And likely they will pick another goalie or two in draft, not that helps for near future but seems smart.

42 minutes ago, DON said:

"Needs Assessment: High – The Habs made a mistake last year by not giving Dobes a quality backup to start with.  Yes, they thought at one point that one of Primeau or Casey DeSmith might back it there but they waited way too long to pivot."...

Assessing The Depth: Goaltenders – HabsWorld.net

I guess are thin in net, if one of the Hab goalies goes down.

And likely they will pick another goalie or two in draft, not that helps for near future but seems smart.

I don’t know about organizational depth…but in terms of the NHL level, as this article says, we’re in solid shape, although it is an interesting question who will be #3 in the event that one of Monty or Primeau goes down for any length of time. Dobes certainly doesn’t sound like a serious candidate. 

Hey, last time we had the #5 pick we chose a goalie…maybe just maybe - ?!? 🤪🤪🤪