2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

I am not too high on Trudeau. He seems to be like an career AHLer. 
and yes, Barron has not settled in LVL since the demotion. He is playing the same way that got him demoted. Some flashes when he tries to generate offense but not great defending.

Mailloux is more reliable defending than Barron, at this point. 

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Barron has not settled in LVL since the demotion. He is playing the same way that got him demoted. Some flashes when he tries to generate offense but not great defending.

That has always been the concern with him ... and he is starting to get to the age (23 early next season) that the shine starts to wear off "potential", even for defencemen who do tend to "bloom" later.

Seemingly better known amongst the boxing community, but a member of the Habs' extended medical team (one of four "Sports medicine Physicians"), Dr. Francis Fontaine has passed away.

Barron has been fine in Laval.  The struggle mentionned above is massively overblown.

The problem is that at this point and the amount of NHL games hes played, i want more than fine in the AHL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

That has always been the concern with him ... and he is starting to get to the age (23 early next season) that the shine starts to wear off "potential", even for defencemen who do tend to "bloom" later.

I don’t know why, but I have a feeling Barron will be one of those extra-late bloomers who settles in around age 25-26 and maybe has a few years on a bottom pairing somewhere. I would not be surprised if we ship him out eventually and find him eking out a spot in some other market. 🤷‍♂️Just a gut feeling.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t know why, but I have a feeling Barron will be one of those extra-late bloomers who settles in around age 25-26 and maybe has a few years on a bottom pairing somewhere. I would not be surprised if we ship him out eventually and find him eking out a spot in some other market. 🤷‍♂️Just a gut feeling.

See Nathan Beaulieu 

56 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

See Nathan Beaulieu 

Nate the Great.

I think Reinbacher was paired with him some games this season?

51 minutes ago, DON said:

Bottom Six Minutes: Joshua Roy is catching fire - Habs Eyes on the Prize

So Roy will be loaned to Laval today "on paper' and then recalled tomorrow? Is that correct.

The ONLY way I don't see him recalled is if Hughes somehow manages to trade Allen but is required to take back a couple of NHL contracts and needs the roster spot ... and even then, they may just have to work through opening a roster spot for Roy ... options include waiving one of the new guys, sending down RHP* or even hoping Ylonen wouldn't get claimed on waivers.

* - Since RHP is also waiver exempt I wonder whether they might paper him down as well ... however, each "paper demotion" uses up one of the four non-emergency post-deadline recalls if/when the player is recalled to the Habs ... that limits non-emergency roster flexibility the rest of the season.

No contracts coming back ... but, in any case, there are no roster limits as of this afternoon, if I understand correctly.

Imagine Roy likes hearing Hughes discussing him like this.

Not sure what the fancy stats say about Roy's play, but he seems to be a smart player and is doing well.

Hughes: ‘Allen’s going to be missed’ | Montréal Canadiens (nhl.com)

Hughes on the paper moves filed for Joshua Roy (and Jayden Struble):

The plan would have always been to paper him. The decision comes down to the timing of things, like how much we’d like Laval to make a real push to try to get into the playoffs. We’re hoping that some of our young players can join Laval and help push [for a spot in the playoffs] and benefit from that experience of a playoff run. So, we have to balance that with what we think helps Josh the most, and what we think helps the Montreal Canadiens the most, and for the time being, we’re going to keep him here. I can't tell him – or anybody for that matter – how long that's going to be; it's something we're going to evaluate on a day-to-day basis.

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

His advanced stats show that he belongs and in fact he's helping his linemates to better stats too. 

I've been worried a bit that, like so many of our past prospects, he's been subsidized a bit by the dearth of talent up front. (In other words, that he can make a bad team, but not necessarily a good one). So this is nice to read.

37pts 57gms, how soon will he get called up for his 1st solo pre-game lap as a Hab?

Not saying it should be today, just wondering.

image.png

1 hour ago, DON said:

37pts 57gms, how soon will he get called up for his 1st solo pre-game lap as a Hab?

image.png

Offence was never (IMO) the question with Mailloux ... any call-up will depend on his defence looking "ready for prime time".

3 hours ago, DON said:

If it's late in the season and Laval has a few days off or is well out of the playoff mix, they might give him a game or two just to get his feet wet.

Ylonen 24 yrs old now.

22-23 37gms 6g 16pts

23-24 51gms 3g 7pts

Gonna be a RFA, will he even be offered a contract by Habs?
Heineman is 2years younger and maybe he will take that bottom six spot next season?

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Ylonen 24 yrs old now.

22-23 37gms 6g 16pts

23-24 51gms 3g 7pts

Heineman is 2years younger and maybe he will take that bottom six spot next season?

I think, as I have said elsewhere, that Ylonen has "run out the clock" on his potential, at least with the Habs ... really all he has shown with any consistency is NHL skating.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Ylonen 24 yrs old now.

22-23 37gms 6g 16pts

23-24 51gms 3g 7pts

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I think, as I have said elsewhere, that Ylonen has "run out the clock" on his potential, at least with the Habs ... really all he has shown with any consistency is NHL skating.

I don’t think Ylonen will be on the roster next season whatever the route. 

As it stands there is no room for him and I’m not even sure RHP has a roster spot either, well unless the Habs remain cursed with injuries. 

Habs are getting crowded with competition soon from upcoming players. It’s a great problem to have. 

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m not even sure RHP has a roster spot either, well unless the Habs remain cursed with injuries.

Don't forget tams keep 13th, sometimes even 14th, forwards ... RHP seems like a decent 13F ... likely happy to be there but not wasting development time in the stands ... pretty much Popeye at this point

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t think Ylonen will be on the roster next season whatever the route.

I think he will probably find a spot on another team where he is a better fit for their needs. But that's just a guess, we'll know more in six months.