2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The versatility to play either side as your 5/6/7 D is really more value than we give credit for.  Its why Josh Gorges stuck around here so long 

And that kind of versatility is why they have been giving Guhle right-side experience even if he is weaker playing on that side. Even if he will normally play on the left in the long run ...

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The discussion I was replying to was about potentially testing Ylonen for the rest of the season. not about the D choices for next season.

And St-Louis has given Ylonen minimal ice time when he has been playing, usually on the fourth line. Whether he is that bad or not, either way it sure doesn't look like St-Louis wants to give him a look in the middle six, whatever his rationale is. So, not much point in inserting him in the lineup now, I expect he'll be somewhere else next season, as much as we have a dearth of middle-six wingers.

I think that barring a trade this summer, the top 6 wings are set (CC, Slaf, Newhook and Roy) for next season ... drafting or trading for a top 6 winger pushes one of those down to the 3rd line ... then either of Gallagher or Anderson likely fill the other third line spot (:() or, absent a draftee/trade, at least one of them get a 3rd line spot ... but I-M-O even a solid final 13 games wouldn't convince me to PLAN on Ylonen being anything but a 4th line candidate ***if*** he gets qualified.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Lots of positives... 

Habs Weekly: Another Impressive Performance From Primeau – HabsWorld.net

...aside from poor Josh & Joshua for different reasons.

Well, as a Habs rookie, Roy was of course required to go through the mandatory 4-6 week injury. 

Josh Anderson…even I gave up defending him months ago. He’s untradeable, so the best we can hope for is that he hits “reboot,” changes his summer regimen to ensure peak fitness, and gets his mojo back next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, as a Habs rookie, Roy was of course required to go through the mandatory 4-6 week injury. 

Josh Anderson…even I gave up defending him months ago. He’s untradeable, so the best we can hope for is that he hits “reboot,” changes his summer regimen to ensure peak fitness, and gets his mojo back next season.

that is what I wish for Josh too. When MB traded for him, many said that he had never been a top-6 and that he would not be a solution long-term. The contract was not a good move.

He is the type of player than in the series, if he gets hot, he can be a back breaker; but he has never been consistent enough to get you into the playoffs

===

I am so glad the season is almost over

Hey just remember what our lineup used to be. Price was supposed to lead THEESE GUYS??? to a cup?

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Moen-Eller-Gionta
Darche-Gomez-Leblanc

Palushaj, Blunden

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Gill-Diaz

Y. Weber

Price-Budaj

I’m definitely happier with where the team is now and the upward trajectory that the team is on. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On TSN690 this morning Marc Denis admitted (starting around 9:05 mark) that he has accepted that Josh Anderson is no longer a top 6 offensive forward, and that he is effective when he brings energy/aggressiveness but that he doesn't do that consistently ... he could get back to being a 20 goal and be a useful third line player.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Hey just remember what our lineup used to be. Price was supposed to lead THEESE GUYS??? to a cup?

Apart from Markov-Subban and Price-Budaj that made pretty grim reading! 😢

56 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apart from Markov-Subban and Price-Budaj that made pretty grim reading! 😢

In all fairness, the boldfaced names below were all legit, quality players in their day.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Moen-Eller-Gionta

Darche-Gomez-Leblanc

That 4th line is some scary sh*t. And I agree about the putrid D. Poor Price

I think the lines must be from 2011-12. At that point Cammalleri was already down to 9+12 in 38 games (Gionta 8+17 in 31 and Gomez 2+9 in 31!). Eller still looked like he had potential though ...

51 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Pacioretty and Plex were still top 6 players and that third line was decent but the defence was poor overall.

MaxPac and Plex were indeed good.

But Cammalleri's, Gomez's and Gionta's salaries added up to $18.4M, 28.6% of the cap. That's equivalent to $23.9M with today's cap. Ouch!

Cammy was still a good player. He was just in Player Rebellion mode against JM and the organization. In fact he was leading the rebellion, if memory serves. But he got traded (who could forget 🙄 - for that worthless bum Bourque) and went on to have some good seasons elsewhere. 

Gio's regression had begun and Gomez's game had completely and inexplicably collapsed.

The 2011-12 season was a complete, obscene mess and you know why? Because Markov missed the year. It completely wrecked the team and everybody suffered. (In fact, Cammy had come here in part to play with Markov - and when he went down, I suspect that's when Cammy said, "K, I'm outta here").

Plek didn't age out until 2016.

Montreal Canadiens' win is a sign of progress — and a gift for coach St. Louis (sportsnet.ca)

"...Linemate Juraj Slafkovsky assisted on the play for his 40th point of the season to make this the most productive campaign a teenager has ever had in the 115-year history of the organization. No player has benefited more from St. Louis’s coaching and influence than the 2022 first-overall pick, except for maybe Cole Caufield, who once again displayed the complete game St. Louis has worked so hard to help him establish."

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hadn't realized that Suzuki has more goals than McDavid this year. Of course Connor has a few more assists. 

McD is unbelievable.  Hes at 95 assists, and looks a lock to go over 100.

The only NHL players to ever get 100 assists in a season.

Gretzky (11 Times!!!!)

Mario Lemieux (once)

Bobby Orr (once).

Thats it.... 13 times its been done and only by 3 different players.  Pretty elite company.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

McD is unbelievable.  Hes at 95 assists, and looks a lock to go over 100.

He is incredible, he has 60 more assists than Matthews. They say the mark of a great player is that they make those around them better. McDavid does that. Now Matthews is an incredible shooter but does he make those around him better? It seems like 35 assists is not that impressive when you are a center and always surrounded by talented linemates. 

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He is incredible, he has 60 more assists than Matthews. They say the mark of a great player is that they make those around them better. McDavid does that. Now Matthews is an incredible shooter but does he make those around him better? It seems like 35 assists is not that impressive when you are a center and always surrounded by talented linemates. 

Different types of player, playmaker vs shooter. 

I have a personal love for playmakers, as a fan. There’s something about that cerebral, high-vision use of the ice, and the unexpected pass that sails through three guys to land on the open man’s stick, that seems magisterial to me. But obviously, a pure shooter is pretty damned great as well.

Matthews is, unfortunately, the best pure goal scorer of his generation and one of the best of all time. But McD is next level, because he has it in him to be an elite goal scorer too; he’s done it. He’s won the Richard Trophy FFS. 

If you put McDavid and Matthews side by side and ask who you’d rather build a team around, EVERYONE in hockey except Toronto fans would pick McDavid. That’s not a shot against Matthews; it’s a tribute to McDavid.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Different types of player, playmaker vs shooter. 

I have a personal love for playmakers, as a fan. There’s something about that cerebral, high-vision use of the ice, and the unexpected pass that sails through three guys to land on the open man’s stick, that seems magisterial to me. But obviously, a pure shooter is pretty damned great as well.

Matthews is, unfortunately, the best pure goal scorer of his generation and one of the best of all time. But McD is next level, because he has it in him to be an elite goal scorer too; he’s done it. He’s won the Richard Trophy FFS. 

If you put McDavid and Matthews side by side and ask who you’d rather build a team around, EVERYONE in hockey except Toronto fans would pick McDavid. That’s not a shot against Matthews; it’s a tribute to McDavid.

Good analysis, McDavid did score 64 last year so he can certainly do both. Matthews is obviously a great shooter but it just seems to me that there is something lacking in his game that never seems to get pointed out. A pure shooter. 

With recent play of Primeau, he climbs to amongst the top rookie season save percentage for the Habs.

Solid base heading into 2024/25 season.

Hughes made the right decision.

https://x.com/StatsCentre/status/1773548476330021204?t=ZHES5bSK-WnmcI7U2-LCpg&s=09

Screenshot_20240330_030135_X.jpg

14 minutes ago, HabsWEST said:

With recent play of Primeau, he climbs to amongst the top rookie season save percentage for the Habs.

Solid base heading into 2024/25 season.

Hughes made the right decision.

https://x.com/StatsCentre/status/1773548476330021204?t=ZHES5bSK-WnmcI7U2-LCpg&s=09

Screenshot_20240330_030135_X.jpg

Geez, that is some rarified air. Well, except for Plasse, LOL.

• Upvote 1