2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He knows he sucked. From HEOTP

Josh Anderson has no excuses for his play this season.

#Habs Josh Anderson: "at the end of the day I don't really have any excuses for the way I played this year" – Anderson says he now has a lot of time to reflect on this season and has a lot to work on this summer to get back to the player he knows he can be next year.

— Priyanta Emrith (@HabsInHighHeels) April 17, 2024

"It will be a big summer for me, no question." – Josh Anderson

How wonderful would it be if Anderson returns to a 25 goal pace and plays with speed and power!?!

If he doesn’t get his game back then I want Marty to stop coddling him and treat him like any other unproductive player. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How wonderful would it be if Anderson returns to a 25 goal pace and plays with speed and power!?!

If he doesn’t get his game back then I want Marty to stop coddling him and treat him like any other unproductive player. 

I'm pretty sure he will stop getting a pass next season. MSL may also have been aware that his own attempts to improve Anderson contributed to getting him off track.  If your own meddling results in a player regressing, then you probably are going to give him some leeway. It also helps if you have a dearth of talent at W anyway. It's not as though Josh's ice time came at the expense of some elite prospect we're trying to develop.

But next year will be a new page, and JA had better pull an Armia and come back with his A game.

And I agree with you that Josh Anderson's A-game - while limited - has a lot of value. That player hits, is physical, grinds along the board, carves guys up, drives the net relentlessly with alarming speed and power, and scores 20 goals. I'd love to get him back.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm pretty sure he will stop getting a pass next season. MSL may also have been aware that his own attempts to improve Anderson contributed to getting him off track.  If your own meddling results in a player regressing, then you probably are going to give him some leeway. It also helps if you have a dearth of talent at W anyway. It's not as though Josh's ice time came at the expense of some elite prospect we're trying to develop.

But next year will be a new page, and JA had better pull an Armia and come back with his A game.

And I agree with you that Josh Anderson's A-game - while limited - has a lot of value. That player hits, is physical, grinds along the board, carves guys up, drives the net relentlessly with alarming speed and power, and scores 20 goals. I'd love to get him back.

A-game Anderson would be a great addition to the 3rd line ... and could have value at the trade deadline ... I wouldn't want to trust that he stays at that level for the following two seasons.

But I-M-O he has no place in the Top 6 (not saying anyone suggested he would/should) because he is a "fifth wheel" on any three-person line.

49 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A-game Anderson would be a great addition to the 3rd line ... and could have value at the trade deadline ... I wouldn't want to trust that he stays at that level for the following two seasons.

A-game Anderson has value, but his game is effectively a solo effort, so the linemates need to play accordingly. I give you the Armia-Newhook-Gallagher line (with two of the most maligne forwards we have) as the counterexample: the three players play with each other, look for each other and work together to create scoring chances.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A-game Anderson has value, but his game is effectively a solo effort, so the linemates need to play accordingly. I give you the Armia-Newhook-Gallagher line (with two of the most maligne forwards we have) as the counterexample: the three players play with each other, look for each other and work together to create scoring chances.

that is a great observation on the Newhook line.

Anderson was considered by many as a glorified 3rd liner that had an outliers season before getting injured in CBJ

MB touted him a à player that helps you in the playoff and often pushed criticism on regular season dry spells he had. He was overpaid because the Habs needed that type of player during the Price-Weber window.

In the current team’s context, Anderson is useless. Playing 3rd line will not raise his trade value, unless he has an unselfish centre like Evans to do all the dirty/defensive work for him.

my hope is that the Habs get an uncontested top-6 forward that pushes Anderson out of the top-6 and out of the team on a trade 

Edited by alfredoh2009
  • Like 1

RANDOM THOUGHT:

If David Savard were willing to sign a 3-yr extension this summer for $2.25 AAV with 25/26 20-team, 26/27 10-team NTC and 27/28 5-team NTC would you do it?

Makes him (hopefully) the 35-yr-old, 3rd pairing, veteran RHD to support Reinbacher and Mailloux the season after next ... AAV still tradeable.

Savard Will implode in his old age like Weber.

I hope they trade him at the next deadline to improve the team.

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

RANDOM THOUGHT:

If David Savard were willing to sign a 3-yr extension this summer for $2.25 AAV with 25/26 20-team, 26/27 10-team NTC and 27/28 5-team NTC would you do it?

Makes him (hopefully) the 35-yr-old, 3rd pairing, veteran RHD to support Reinbacher and Mailloux the season after next ... AAV still tradeable.

No

I'm moving him this summer or next trade deadline when his value will be highest.  He will only decline with age. 

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Savard Will implode in his old age like Weber.

I hope they trade him at the next deadline to improve the team.

Weber was clutch in that Cup Final run ... his subsequent "implosion" was entirely injury related ... I see Savard as more a Hal Gill who managed to play, admittedly in declining numbers of games, until he was 39.

Deadline deals are almost always for draft picks or recently drafted players who are a couple of years away from the NHL ... is that worth more than the veteran support that Savard can provide the youngsters, especially the RHD, as they break in?

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Weber was clutch in that Cup Final run ... his subsequent "implosion" was entirely injury related ... I see Savard as more a Hal Gill who managed to play, admittedly in declining numbers of games, until he was 39.

Deadline deals are almost always for draft picks or recently drafted players who are a couple of years away from the NHL ... is that worth more than the veteran support that Savard can provide the youngsters, especially the RHD, as they break in?

I agree with your assessment of Savard. He will be a useful NHLer for years yet. He will decline but he won’t fall off a cliff. 

I still don’t want to sign him. 

Trade him this summer if possible and let the kids play. 

Mattheson is the vet to keep around. 

Guhle, Kovacevic, Harris, and Xhekaj will be entering their third seasons in the league.  They aren't rookies anymore.  At this point, they should be able to take a step without Savard. 

Struble played four full years of college so he's a bit more mature as well.  And Barron is make or break now, does he need Savard standing in his way on the Right side. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Frankly, I would have like to have seen Lias Andersson and had the two of them trade spots during the year.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

RANDOM THOUGHT:

No. If trade him no later than the next trade deadline, unless we are in a playoff hunt next year and he is a main cog. Either way, he should be gone at the end of next year, unless it was for a salary no higher than $1.5m for a 1 yr term.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Frankly, I would have like to have seen Lias Andersson and had the two of them trade spots during the year.

Lias Andersson was injured and missed a lot of the second half of the season.  Josh Anderson finished 2022-23 strong, so when he struggled to start the year, they were going to give him time to work out of the slump.  By the time they would have made such a switch, Lias was injured, and then by the time he came back, he needed time to get to game speed again after the long injury. 

So when would the move have been made?

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Lias Andersson was injured and missed a lot of the second half of the season.  Josh Anderson finished 2022-23 strong, so when he struggled to start the year, they were going to give him time to work out of the slump.  By the time they would have made such a switch, Lias was injured, and then by the time he came back, he needed time to get to game speed again after the long injury. 

So when would the move have been made?

I would have even preferred we brought him up the last few weeks to at least see what he could do at the deadline. Even if it was in Ylonen’s (spit (another useless player this year).

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

RANDOM THOUGHT:

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of an extension (especially if Barron winds up being traded) but three years gives me pause.  I get the lower AAV is thanks to the longer term but that third year is a big red flag.  If they were to pursue an extension, I think they'd be capping the offer at two seasons.

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of an extension (especially if Barron winds up being traded) but three years gives me pause.  I get the lower AAV is thanks to the longer term but that third year is a big red flag.  If they were to pursue an extension, I think they'd be capping the offer at two seasons.

The 2nd year is already a (light) red flag for me. 

12 hours ago, DON said:

It will be interesting to see how opposing players adapt once the word gets out about him. But safe to say he bids fair to be, without question, the most electrifying Habs defenceman since PK Subban. His shiftiness in this video is profoundly reminiscent of Quinn Hughes - same kind of player.

The video is also correct that a D-man like this will "open up the entire Habs offence." 100%. Hughes's supremacy has had a cascading effect on the entire Cancuks roster. I am NOT saying Hutson will be Hughes; rather the point is that a D-man that can manage the offence makes everyone better.

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It will be interesting to see how opposing players adapt once the word gets out about him. But safe to say he bids fair to be, without question, the most electrifying Habs defenceman since PK Subban. His shiftiness in this video is profoundly reminiscent of Quinn Hughes - same kind of player.

The video is also correct that a D-man like this will "open up the entire Habs offence." 100%. Hughes's supremacy has had a cascading effect on the entire Cancuks roster. I am NOT saying Hutson will be Hughes; rather the point is that a D-man that can manage the offence makes everyone better.

I just hope the injury curse phantom passes over Hutson. I wonder how he sill do against physical NHL play, much like Harris had to adapt his game.

image.png

Talk isnt worth much with aging athletes and maybe a stint in the AHL will be needed, before an Armia-transformation happens? 

All i can think about is what we are going to end up doing with hte blue line!

Matheson-Guhle

Harris-Savard

Struble-Mailloux

Xhejak-Kovacevic

Hutson-Barron

Trudeau-Reinbacher

Would we really have this in the AHL?

Hutson-Reinbacher

Xhejak/Struble-Barron/Mailloux

Trudeau

In the NHL having...

Matheson-Guhle

Harris-Savard

Xhejak/Struble-Mailloux/Barron

Kovacevic

Obviously pairings subject to completely change.

Do we see keeping Harris, Xhejak, Struble, Barron, Mailloux around to battle for the spots... Then flip who doesn't make it?

I figure Kovacevic is our 7th...

Just wild

2 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

All i can think about is what we are going to end up doing with hte blue line!

Matheson-Guhle

Harris-Savard

Struble-Mailloux

Xhejak-Kovacevic

Hutson-Barron

Trudeau-Reinbacher

Would we really have this in the AHL?

Hutson-Reinbacher

Xhejak/Struble-Barron/Mailloux

Trudeau

In the NHL having...

Matheson-Guhle

Harris-Savard

Xhejak/Struble-Mailloux/Barron

Kovacevic

Obviously pairings subject to completely change.

Do we see keeping Harris, Xhejak, Struble, Barron, Mailloux around to battle for the spots... Then flip who doesn't make it?

I figure Kovacevic is our 7th...

Just wild

I have been following the Rocket all season to see how much the D prospects are progressing to then try to guess what HughGort may do with the NHL roster.

I am not knowledgeable enough to predict how much more to expect from Harris. He seems to me like an ideal 3rd pair LD on a cup playoff team.

At the AHL level, Trudeau has sometimes been good but I do not remember any analyst of commentator reporting that has has been great for any significant stretch.

So, on LD, it is a question of whom the Habs can develop to be a top-4 out of Hutson/Xhekaj/Struble.They each have teh potential, with Hutson's being off-the-charts.

On the RD, I believe Savard will be traded at the deadline; so the Habs ahve the bare minimum to fill all the spots on that side at the NHL level. Kovacevic is a great asset to have on RD.

I would be patient for another year, while looking for the best trade return for Savard before the trade deadline.

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So, on LD, it is a question of whom the Habs can develop to be a top-4 out of Hutson/Xhekaj/Struble.They each have teh potential, with Hutson's being off-the-charts.

On the RD, I believe Savard will be traded at the deadline; so the Habs ahve the bare minimum to fill all the spots on that side at the NHL level. Kovacevic is a great asset to have on RD.

Also there is Engstrom on the left. And Harris can play left or right--maybe Guhle in the future as well. That flexibility is very helpful when the inevitable injuries hit.

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Also there is Engstrom on the left. And Harris can play left or right--maybe Guhle in the future as well. That flexibility is very helpful when the inevitable injuries hit.

I just read a headline about Engstrom. Isn't Bogdan Konyushkov also a strong prospect?

For sure, the prospect pipeline has been fixed, notably by MB stubbornly insisting on not trading prospects and HughGort using expiring contracts and veterans smartly on trades for young talent.

Now, it is time to start putting a team that competes together.