Game 1 - Montréal vs. Toronto ... 7 p.m. - 2023-10-11

GHT120

TVA and Sportsnet

Jake Allen gets the start.

This is a bit of a surprise ... neither he nor Montembeault had a great pre-season ... Allen likely gets the start because he is the veteran ... loonnngggg-shot hope, some team wants to see him in regular season action before finalizing a trade.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

This is a bit of a surprise ... neither he nor Montembeault had a great pre-season ... Allen likely gets the start because he is the veteran ... loonnngggg-shot hope, some team wants to see him in regular season action before finalizing a trade.

I think this is them deciding they want Montembeault for the home opener and since they don't want either goalie sitting for too long, that means Allen gets this one.

Scanned through the "seven million" Leafs related Tweets in the last hour and could find nothing for their lineup. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Scanned through the "seven million" Leafs related Tweets in the last hour and could find nothing for their lineup. 

That youthful second line will be interesting to watch

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That youthful second line will be interesting to watch

I'm interested in seeing the third and fourth lines in action, too, they are combinations we haven't seen before.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I'm interested in seeing the third and fourth lines in action, too, they are combinations we haven't seen before.

Third line seems like a waste of Monahan to me because I’m expecting 0 from Pearson or Gallagher. 

Second line looks really interesting 

Hopefully Anderson pumells the leafs in every category 

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Third line seems like a waste of Monahan to me because I’m expecting 0 from Pearson or Gallagher. 

Second line looks really interesting 

Hopefully Anderson pumells the leafs in every category 

Call me a foolish optimist but I still think Gallagher has something left in the tank, even if he doesn't reach 30 goals again. The body may be banged up but you don't loose the compete. Also he was playing with Danault when he was doing really well so I think it will help him to have a good center to play with.  I was also seeing positive things Pearson in the preseason. He was in the right places at the right times and making smart decisions with the puck.

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Didn't take long for Xhekaj to show Reaves isn't so big or bad as he thinks he is. 

Kudos to WiFi 👍

That said, I really don't like that Guhle and Slaf have both been stapled by big hits 10 minutes into the season. That's how you end up missing half a season.

Its a shame that WiFi didnt really get to punch him, but Reaves got enough to realize how strong Arber is.  

I'm thinking most of the guys who were eager to fight WiFi last year will reconsider this year.  

WiFi's fists are so big so when he lands punches they seriously hurt and people instantly realize that he has legit knock-out power.  

Unfortunately, Reaves did not get to experience that, yet.

26 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Didn't take long for Xhekaj to show Reaves isn't so big or bad as he thinks he is.

Didn't take long for that video to get posted either...

Not a bad first period.  A gift goal for Evans considering the slip that led to the breakaway but that was a nice move. 

Solid period from the Habs. Mattheson looked really good, I thought. Allen is often overlooked, but I respect his very solid game. Slaf seemed to get better as the game went on...didn't see much from Newhook/Dach etc., at least not that I noticed, but it's early. 

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Solid period from the Habs. Mattheson looked really good, I thought. Allen is often overlooked, but I respect his very solid game. Slaf seemed to get better as the game went on...didn't see much from Newhook/Dach etc., at least not that I noticed, but it's early. 

Speaking of that line.

Just caught up ... TVA, and presumably Sportsnet, were showing "player identifiers" whenever a Leaf had the puck for a couple of minutes ... but not when the Habs took it back the other way ... all gone now but hardly a surprise.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Who was it that won the board battle and made that pass out of the Habs’ zone to set up the rush?

Slaf was excellent on that shift.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A power play with good entry, good movement—and a great shot by Caufield! Will it stand?

I had to laugh at the Leafs leaving CC completely in the clear, though.

I'm sure we'll lose the challenge, the game is in TO.

A VERY Allen goal ... and then Kampf "accidentally" lost his balance and slid into Jake.