Game #4 Oct. 21, Capitals vs Canadiens, 7 PM

dlbalr

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Four years would be quite reasonable, it would take him to age 33. If he's willing to do that. He has close to $50M in career earnings so he doesn't need another seven years beyond this, but of course he may want that ...

Let's see. It could be a very interesting option for the Habs.

He can want what he wants, but I don't see any team in the NHL giving him 7 years.  I really don't. 

I think 4 years is a bit of a stretch as well.  

I'd give him two and that would be about it, maybe three if he's really having a great year, but given his history, I don't see any way he gets 7, even on the open market.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He can want what he wants, but I don't see any team in the NHL giving him 7 years.  I really don't. 

I think 4 years is a bit of a stretch as well.  

I'd give him two and that would be about it, maybe three if he's really having a great year, but given his history, I don't see any way he gets 7, even on the open market.

I think your close to bang on here. I do believe though if he can play over 70 games this year we have him at a steal rate and a 3 year deal is very, very likely wherever he does land.

36 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think your close to bang on here. I do believe though if he can play over 70 games this year we have him at a steal rate and a 3 year deal is very, very likely wherever he does land.

Yup, I think the salary will be higher if he's healthy and has a good year, but I just think teams will see the term as a big risk given his history of injuries.  I think it will be between 1 and 3 years, but will be higher AAV on a 1 year than 3 year deal.  Teams will want to minimize risk as much as possible and he's not your average player in terms of injury risk. 

15 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I dont even think he will hold up till this coming March, just going by his recent history, but has looked very good in the first couple games for sure. 

44 minutes ago, DON said:

I dont even think he will hold up till this coming March, just going by his recent history, but has looked very good in the first couple games for sure. 

And if he doesn't hold up, then he wont get a long term extension, so this would all be moot. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Last season he was coming off major surgery and made the mistake of trying to "tough it out" with a broken foot (unrelated to his previous hip issues) and as a result developed "groin issues" (potentially related to his previous issues) which ultimately kept him out ... I split the blame between Monahan's desire to play* and the previous Habs' medical team for allowing him to play ... had he stopped when the foot broke, he would have likely played most of the season ... unless he has future issues with his hips, I am not concerned with "normal" injuries ... they happen to anyone.

* - after previously having surgery on his left hip in 2018, he tore the labrum of his right hip three games into the 21/22 season but kept playing, including later through three fractured ribs that on same days meant he couldn't even tie his own skates ... who knows how much worse playing most nof the season made his hip ... he is the type of player who needs to be saved from himself.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

And if he doesn't hold up, then he wont get a long term extension, so this would all be moot. 

Which is why if someone is willing to give up a first+ in advance of the deadline, wouldn’t hesitate to wait to see if we can sign him.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Last season he was coming off major surgery and made the mistake of trying to "tough it out" with a broken foot (unrelated to his previous hip issues) and as a result developed "groin issues" (potentially related to his previous issues) which ultimately kept him out ... I split the blame between Monahan's desire to play* and the previous Habs' medical team for allowing him to play ... had he stopped when the foot broke, he would have likely played most of the season ... unless he has future issues with his hips, I am not concerned with "normal" injuries ... they happen to anyone.

* - after previously having surgery on his left hip in 2018, he tore the labrum of his right hip three games into the 21/22 season but kept playing, including later through three fractured ribs that on same days meant he couldn't even tie his own skates ... who knows how much worse playing most nof the season made his hip ... he is the type of player who needs to be saved from himself.

Keep in mind he’s had groin issues since 2017 as well. So it’s not like that was a new injury for him.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

After playing just 4 games after 10 month off, any kind of extension talk seems almost silly, to me anyways, thats all.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

After playing just 4 games after 10 month off, any kind of extension talk seems almost silly, to me anyways, thats all.

Nobody is suggesting he get it now ... like much of the internet, it is speculation under a hypothetical future situation.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Which is why if someone is willing to give up a first+ in advance of the deadline, wouldn’t hesitate to wait to see if we can sign him.

How many picks do we need though really? With another 22 on the way in the next 2 off-seasons and a 50 contract threshold? We are quickly coming up to the borderline of having to start leveraging some of these assets before losing them...

4 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

How many picks do we need though really? With another 22 on the way in the next 2 off-seasons and a 50 contract threshold? We are quickly coming up to the borderline of having to start leveraging some of these assets before losing them...

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

If he remains healthy, I would like him resigned as an insurance plan to situations like the one we are in currently with Dach out for the season

Picks don’t use contract slots and have value, especially 1st round picks.  Not all picks have to be used to pick players.  Typically picks have a fixed value, where players value fluctuates constantly.  So having more picks is the safest for value rather than more players.  While picks do have some degree of fluctuation, it has more predictability than players.

For the reason above, I would much rather have a picks over resigning Monahan.  There are reasons to resign Monahan, but an insurance for a Dach-like situation isn’t one of them.  You can’t use a player that is injury prone as a backup plan for players that don’t get injured as often.  I see the reasoning behind it skill-wise, but realistically Monahan has a higher chance to be injured than someone like Dach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

No one is saying he should get an extension today. 

They are saying if he has a good season and stays healthy, would you re-sign him. 

We talk lots of hypotheticals on this board, I dont see what is different about this one. 

Also for everyone, re-sign and resign are two different words with almost opposite meanings. 

Resign is to quit a job

Re-sign is to extend a contract. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Picks don’t use contract slots and have value, especially 1st round picks.  Not all picks have to be used to pick players.  Typically picks have a fixed value, where players value fluctuates constantly.  So having more picks is the safest for value rather than more players.  While picks do have some degree of fluctuation, it has more predictability than players.

For the reason above, I would much rather have a picks over resigning Monahan.  There are reasons to resign Monahan, but an insurance for a Dach-like situation isn’t one of them.  You can’t use a player that is injury prone as a backup plan for players that don’t get injured as often.  I see the reasoning behind it skill-wise, but realistically Monahan has a higher chance to be injured than someone like Dach.

I agree, if we can get a 1st plus for Monahan then you grab it. I really like Monahan, he brings a lot to the team which is why you would probably get a lot for him. A little too early for anything to happen on that front but I am confident Hughes will do the right thing. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No one is saying he should get an extension today. 

They are saying if he has a good season and stays healthy, would you re-sign him. 

We talk lots of hypotheticals on this board, I dont see what is different about this one. 

Also for everyone, re-sign and resign are two different words with almost opposite meanings. 

Resign is to quit a job

Re-sign is to extend a contract. 

LoL... let's go with re-upped then ...

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, if we can get a 1st plus for Monahan then you grab it. I really like Monahan, he brings a lot to the team which is why you would probably get a lot for him. A little too early for anything to happen on that front but I am confident Hughes will do the right thing. 

With Dach out for the season... if he stays healthy, im of the opinion there is almost zero chance he gets moved unless of course we are bottom feeders by  January.

23 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Does he though?  Dach is shelved again for the season and for basically the 3rd season in a row now... nobody said this of Monahan until he had his hips worked on and broke a foot LY.

Monahan is like playing with house money, and I'm for holding onto the money for at least 1 more season after this.

Of course if a "Knock your socks off" offer was on the table... that is a different story.  But getting a 24-32th pick only? Personally I think Monahan at 29YRS old is worth more signed and supporting the kids then the 1st rounder we would exchange him for.

43 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Picks can be traded for players to fill holes when we are ready to compete as well. They can also be a way to try and unload bad contracts like Gallagher if in two years we are ready to for a playoff run and need cap room to add players we need.

I don’t see us making the playoffs this year. Next year we MAY be a bubble team if our young D take a big step forward and Hutson and Reinbacher make immediate impacts, but I think 25/26 is the year for us to be a solid playoff team. Adding a guy who has a long injury history - and a lot of bi-lateral injuries may suggest that their may be bigger concerns (something I’ve dealt with finding as the cause if my injuries were found to be related to autoimmune issues). I do really want a 32-33 year-old eating up cap space at that time, when Dach, Newhook, Guhle, Wifi, Baron, Mailloux, will all be looking for new contracts?

we got Newhook and Dach for picks. Detroit got DeBrincat for largely picks. You don’t have to use all your picks, but I want to be able to trade excess picks if needed, without having  to give up our own picks (or trade outs and keep the better picks). The amount of picks Sam Pollack stockpiles were a reason the Habs were donation in the 70’s. 

35 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

100% agree!

4 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Does he though?  Dach is shelved again for the season and for basically the 3rd season in a row now... nobody said this of Monahan until he had his hips worked on and broke a foot LY.

Monahan is like playing with house money, and I'm for holding onto the money for at least 1 more season after this.

Of course if a "Knock your socks off" offer was on the table... that is a different story.  But getting a 24-32th pick only? Personally I think Monahan at 29YRS old is worth more signed and supporting the kids then the 1st rounder we would exchange him for.

Monohan has been injured consistently since 2017, and has been missing more time each year. At 29, recovery is gong to get worse as he continues to age, compared to Dach who is still only 22. Having said that - I am worried about Dach, but am more willing to gamble on him given his age.

I would of rather Dach get injured later then his core NHL developmental years and miss time between age 19-21.

Not concerned with him coming back from this knee injury at all. Still no word on what procedure they chose and if there was any meniscus damage. As that will change his recovery program and timeline.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Monohan has been injured consistently since 2017, and has been missing more time each year. At 29, recovery is gong to get worse as he continues to age, compared to Dach who is still only 22. Having said that - I am worried about Dach, but am more willing to gamble on him given his age.

This is not true... 

Monahan

2013 79 games

2014 81 games

2015 81 games

2016 82 games 

2017  74 games

2018 78 games

2019 70 games

2020 50 games (hip injury)

2021 65 games other hip

2022 25 games (broken foot)

Currently 4 games played

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

This is not true... 

Monahan

2013 79 games

2014 81 games

2015 81 games

2016 82 games 

2017  74 games

2018 78 games

2019 70 games

2020 50 games (hip injury)

2021 65 games other hip

2022 25 games (broken foot)

Currently 4 games played

Hah, i looked into that too and was going to post basically the same info.

Facts courtesy of TSN:

image.png

This shows the reason for his missing games:

image.png

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #4 Oct. 21, Capitals vs Canadiens, 7 PM