Game #6 Oct. 24, Devils vs Canadiens, 7:15 PM

dlbalr

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Holy hell Nylander would look very good beside Suzuki and Caufield. 

Not sure I’m willing to spend an enormous amount over 7 years though. 

Tough call and I wouldn’t be upset if it happened 

There is zero chance Nylander goes to free agency especially after what Treliving went through with Gaudreau getting nothing. Nylander will be signed by the Leafs or traded by the deadline. 

I always loved Nylander as a player. We can say that he would be expensive, and he sure would be; but if you want elite talent, you have to pay for it, one way or the other. So, unless we see another elite FW in the system, why not pay up?

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I always loved Nylander as a player. We can say that he would be expensive, and he sure would be; but if you want elite talent, you have to pay for it, one way or the other. So, unless we see another elite FW in the system, why not pay up?

What do you propose the Habs give up?  

3 hours ago, DON said:

William Nylander.

Question is whether we want to pay him the $9m+ he is seeking (I’ve read $9.5m-$10m). If he isn’t willing to take less from Toronto, he won’t do it to come here. 

I think Nylander, or that type of forward, and a trade for a McDonough TYPE dmen, and a Spencer Knight type goalie (or a more established goalie), is what we need.

having a legit guy that can play 1st/2nd pairing role and mentor the young D, and a true number #1 goalie should help our goals against. It’s to bad that Helleyback is off the table. He would have been the ideal goalie for us!

I want to build our core and then we add supporting guys like Perry (obviously not him), that have won, aren’t expected to be stars anymore, but bring grit and experience help young players take the next step, and teach them what it takes to win in the playoffs. It’s pointless to add guys for that type of role now - because we aren’t even a playoff team yet. 

we shouldn’t be overpaying for role players right now. Get your core guys and see how much money is left over afterwards. That’s why it makes zero sense to go after a guy like Taffoli right now. We need to address our more glaring weakness.  I think adding a Dman like McDonough makes more sense, so you don’t have a guy like Savard playing a top line role (regardless of the grit he showed last game). 

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What do you propose the Habs give up?  

Nothing. You seen him as a UFA.

Top 20 is about 40 goals for the year. I think Caufield has an excellent chance of reaching that level.

Technically we are also lacking a first-pairing defenceman, for example, but we certainly have some excellent D prospects who might meet that level. This is an artifact of a young, rebuilding team: even if we make the right picks or trades, we will not have those top players immediately, it will take time for them to mature.

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is zero chance Nylander goes to free agency especially after what Treliving went through with Gaudreau getting nothing. Nylander will be signed by the Leafs or traded by the deadline. 

Sure. But there is no guarantee he will sign with his new team. I certainly wouldn’t trade for him unless it included an extension. I also wouldn’t overpay in assets AND overpay in salary for him. If he’s available as a UFA, try to sign him, otherwise

I wouldn’t try trading for him. Toronto would want more from us than any other team that is interested.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Do you really think there is any chance Treliving let's Nylander walk away for nothing?  It's not going to happen. 

Either is a reasonable trade between Toronto and us. 

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

I certainly wouldn’t trade for him unless it included an extension. I also wouldn’t overpay in assets AND overpay in salary for him. If he’s available as a UFA, try to sign him, otherwise

I wouldn’t try trading for him. Toronto would want more from us than any other team that is interested.

And no other team would trade for him unless it included an extension. 

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Top 20 is about 40 goals for the year. I think Caufield has an excellent chance of reaching that level.

Technically we are also lacking a first-pairing defenceman, for example, but we certainly have some excellent D prospects who might meet that level. This is an artifact of a young, rebuilding team: even if we make the right picks or trades, we will not have those top players immediately, it will take time for them to mature.

I think young Dmen need a good veteran mentor. We have a lot of good young dmen, but don’t have a stud that can mentor them, the way Robinson mentored Chelios.

Agree on that, Nylander will never be a Hab. Never ever!!

Never say never. The leafs need to win in the playoffs. If they can’t get a return for him that helps them in the playoffs, they might have to keep him.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Never say never. The leafs need to win in the playoffs. If they can’t get a return for him that helps them in the playoffs, they might have to keep him.

And I think they will keep him and sign him to an extension. 

And I think they will keep him and sign him to an extension. 

If they do - I hope they really overpay. It would be great to see them commit over $45m to their “big” 4.

31 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If they do - I hope they really overpay. It would be great to see them commit over $45m to their “big” 4.

They probably will overpay.  Before the season Nylander was holding out to see what Matthews was going to get.  I read a report saying Nylander would only consider a discount if Matthews took one, and Mathew’s did not take one.  

I don’t see Nylander staying with Toronto, their cap space doesn’t allow for another $10m+ player.  I doubt they trade him before the deadline unless they aren’t making the playoffs, which is almost a certainty that they are.  If I were to put money in it, I would bet on a sign and trade before free agency.  It won’t get full value of a trade, but they wouldn’t be losing him for nothing.

51 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think young Dmen need a good veteran mentor. We have a lot of good young dmen, but don’t have a stud that can mentor them, the way Robinson mentored Chelios.

Matheson cannot be a mentor?

2 hours ago, DON said:

An elite top line forward (e.g. a top ten or twenty scorer for example) still lacking, Caufield seems he may become one, but not yet.

Would be very costly obviously, but has been lacking in a Hab jersey since last century.

I would sign Petterson if he was available... I'd also trade for him if he was available.

So big no to Toffs due to he's 32 and he'd be a bidding war, so get into a bidding war for Nylander and over pay him for 8 years and sign him until he's 36 because no one wants an expensive albatross contract?  Ok then, glad that's cleared up.  🤪

Nylander is the worst idea ever, UFA or otherwise.  

That suggestion shows that a ton of people here aren't paying attention to the culture the Habs are developing.  Clearly, Nylander wanting over 10 mil/yr goes against the concept of Nick being the highest paid guy on the team.  

Pettersson is also another bad example for the same reason plus how he does he perform in the playoffs?  That's TBD.

8 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

So big no to Toffs due to he's 32 and he'd be a bidding war, so get into a bidding war for Nylander and over pay him for 8 years and sign him until he's 36 because no one wants an expensive albatross contract?  Ok then, glad that's cleared up.  🤪

That suggestion shows that a ton of people here aren't paying attention to the culture the Habs are developing.  Clearly, Nylander wanting over 10 mil/yr goes against the concept of Nick being the highest paid guy on the team.  

Pettersson is also another bad example for the same reason plus how he does he perform in the playoffs?  That's TBD.

nobody says Suzuki needs to be the highest paid player on the team. For what it's worth at the date of signing, he should be the highest paid and more so than Caufield, even if ever so slightly. But if the Habs were to trade and sign for either Nylander or Petterson, they would surely be the new benchmark for highest paid on the team and I think Suzuki would be ok with that, considering.

For us to say Suzy needs to be the highest paid means we cant have a better player on the team who costs more? thats crazy talk.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

That is odd, no one else seems to think that?

But anyways, if not Nylander or drafting in top 2 next season, a highly skilled forward would still be lacking and needed more sooner we hope than later.

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #6 Oct. 24, Devils vs Canadiens, 7:15 PM