Game #6 Oct. 24, Devils vs Canadiens, 7:15 PM

dlbalr

Just now, tomh009 said:

The Habs made it 11 minutes into the game before picking up the first minor. 🤨

Thats not bad for the most penalized team.  Hopefully, they can stop the top PP from scoring.

So far the Habs PK is doing a lot better this year - but nope.

D'oh, why did RHP dump the puck down ice.  He should have carried the puck up ice on a 2 on 2 with the Habs player that was beside him.

31 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I'm still not loving the diamond PK setup.  I didn't like it last year and I still don't like it this year.  It will only work with a top-tier defensive defenseman in front of the net. 

It wasn't really a diamond last year, I think most of the year they were doing a kind of 1-1-2 formation which really didn't work so well. This year it's definitely a diamond.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It wasn't really a diamond last year, I think most of the year they were doing a kind of 1-1-2 formation which really didn't work so well. This year it's definitely a diamond.

You're right, it was the 1-1-2 last year and I didn't like that either, it wasn't the diamond last year.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tough one to allow by Primeau on Toffoli late in the period but all things considered, he's doing better than I expected so far. 

He made some super saves in the first that probably make up for this one.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He made some super saves in the first that probably make up for this one.

Agreed.  Not bad for someone who hasn't played in what, more than three weeks now?  (I think Game 3 of the preseason was his last one.)

It's too bad they lost because that was a winnable game and Primeau deserved better - he played fairly well considering the score.  The Habs biggest issue is currently discipline and taking a plethora of dumb penalties.  They desperately need to get that under control ASAP.

Hell of a goal by Matheson to salvage something in the third. The penalty on Arber that led to the Devils' fourth goal was a weak reputation call. If anyone's going to score a hatty on the Habs, I'm happy it was Toffoli.

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It's too bad they lost because that was a winnable game and Primeau deserved better - he played fairly well considering the score.  The Habs biggest issue is currently discipline and taking a plethora of dumb penalties.  They desperately need to get that under control ASAP.

Four minors (in tonight's game) was not too bad: it was the same as the Devils. Hopefully they are on the path of addressing the excessive minors.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Neech said:

Hell of a goal by Matheson to salvage something in the third. The penalty on Arber that led to the Devils' fourth goal was a weak reputation call. If anyone's going to score a hatty on the Habs, I'm happy it was Toffoli.

I'm still unconvinced that it was a good idea to trade Toffs.  Depending on what he does this year and if he becomes a UFA I'd consider bringing him back.  Similar to Monahan, I believe Toff's next contract ask could be reasonable considering his talent.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Four minors (in tonight's game) was not too bad: it was the same as the Devils. Hopefully they are on the path of addressing the excessive minors.

It seemed like more than 4, but giving the best PP team 4 was 2 PPG too many.   

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm still unconvinced that it was a good idea to trade Toffs.  Depending on what he does this year and if he becomes a UFA I'd consider bringing him back.  Similar to Monahan, I believe Toff's next contract ask could be reasonable considering his talent.

At the time Toffoli was traded it was the right move.  As for bringing him back, it's a simple question of what are the objectives next season? 

A serious cup run is very doubtful, so no reason to bring him back. 

Making the playoffs to give the kids some experience is a possibility, but do you NEED Toffoli for that or do you expect this group to get that done with the progress in their development?  If you need Toffoli to make the playoffs for that, then this group needs a bit of reworking to accomplish it on their own. 

I don't really see a reason to bring Toffoli in at this stage of the rebuild under any circumstance.  The only reason I would see a reason is if management has a dramatic shift and wants to make a cup run immediately, which would be very counter productive from where they are now.  This isn't a knock on Toffoli at all, I just don't believe it's good for the team or Toffoli at this stage.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

At the time Toffoli was traded it was the right move.  As for bringing him back, it's a simple question of what are the objectives next season? 

A serious cup run is very doubtful, so no reason to bring him back. 

Making the playoffs to give the kids some experience is a possibility, but do you NEED Toffoli for that or do you expect this group to get that done with the progress in their development?  If you need Toffoli to make the playoffs for that, then this group needs a bit of reworking to accomplish it on their own. 

I don't really see a reason to bring Toffoli in at this stage of the rebuild under any circumstance.  The only reason I would see a reason is if management has a dramatic shift and wants to make a cup run immediately, which would be very counter productive from where they are now.  This isn't a knock on Toffoli at all, I just don't believe it's good for the team or Toffoli at this stage.

Agree with all your points, just don't see how Toffoli is a fit right now.  Hughes will open up the wallet at free agent time when the Habs are closer to being a contender. Now is not the time. 

• Upvote 1

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #6 Oct. 24, Devils vs Canadiens, 7:15 PM