Game#9 Habs vs Vegas Monday Oct 30 2023 10PM

DON

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Whats the word on Matheson.  Without him and Savard the Defence is very, very inexperienced.

"Talk" is that he is a day-to-day groin pull ... the first test of the willingness of the medical/training staff to hold out a player even when the team "needs: him.

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So do we get smoked, or does Vegas kinda not showing up by disrespecting the competition?

I think the key will be goaltending. Thompson has one of the best GSAx ratings in the early going (based on only five games though) and Montembeault hasn't had a lights-out game yet. For sure, the Habs are not the favourite, but they could be in with a chance if Montembeault plays well--and they stay out of the penalty box.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think the key will be goaltending. Thompson has one of the best GSAx ratings in the early going (based on only five games though) and Montembeault hasn't had a lights-out game yet. For sure, the Habs are not the favourite, but they could be in with a chance if Montembeault plays well--and they stay out of the penalty box.

I guess we can hope for the former, but I wouldn’t hold by breath expecting the latter.

The string of minor penalties has not been quite as bad as before. First four games they picked up 10, 20, 20 and 10 minutes in minors; in the last four it's been 10, 8, 12 and 8 (plus a penalty shot). Hopefully that's a trend that will hold.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Habs will be pumped playing the defending champs, Vegas due for an off night, I expect a Habs win, maybe 4-2.

So were the other 8 teams the Golden Knights have played.

Well ... I'll see tomorrow morning ... not staying up.

Hmm, this game is a hard 1 to predict because its not a game the Habs should win, but I do tend to agree with @Habs Fan in Edmonton and think its a game they might win.  

The Habs are already showing that they can win games against teams they shouldn't be beating.  That will probably continue to be a trend.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The string of minor penalties has not been quite as bad as before. First four games they picked up 10, 20, 20 and 10 minutes in minors; in the last four it's been 10, 8, 12 and 8 (plus a penalty shot). Hopefully that's a trend that will hold.

That needs to continue, and actually scoring PPG = potential playoff birth.

That's why I want to see Mailoux and/or Norlinder in the NHL asap.  They're the 2 prospects that could vastly help their PP.  Increasing their PP effectiveness is absolutely crucial to them to getting more points and possibly making the playoffs.  ex:  by increasing their PP from near worst to just around the middle of the pack (vs near the top) could be huge for them.