Huberdeau Article

hockeyrealist

Why?

Not at all a Habs related article and seems to offer no point.  

Why is that on a Habs page and why bother, no news, no info,  just a puke of words.  
Since the site is covering other teams and their players. Why no article about Ovi’s struggles this year, or why not another Leafs article since we are desperate for topics apparently…?   Because Huberdeau is from QC?  
The content on the main page has dropped in quality, this article and the ten thoughts are bad ideas. Move on.

The connecting thread to the Habs was that Huberdeau is a francophone from Quebec and therefore of special interest to the Habs and Habs fans.

I really have to object to your description of the article as a “puke of words” and your complaining about Ten Thoughts. This site is managed and its articles written by VOLUNTEERS. If we don’t like their work, we can make polite suggestions, or quietly ignore a given contribution. But calling them out and insulting their work is not cool. It’s a graceless act of entitlement and ingratitude.

If you don’t like it, how about you step up and offer to write some stuff? I promise I won’t call it “puke” even if it is.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Why?

Why is that on a Habs page and why bother, no news, no info,  just a puke of words.  
Since the site is covering other teams and their players. Why no article about Ovi’s struggles this year, or why not another Leafs article since we are desperate for topics apparently…?   Because Huberdeau is from QC?  
The content on the main page has dropped in quality, this article and the ten thoughts are bad ideas. Move on.

There has been some people wondering about whether the Habs should take a run at Huberdeau in a buy-low scenario.  (I'm certainly not one of those, that contract terrifies me.)  But since it has been a topic of speculation between some fans and even the odd media outlet, I think it fits well enough.

As for the 10 Thoughts, most of the feedback I've received (in comments and page views) has been overwhelmingly positive but I'm not against constructive criticism.  May I ask what your concerns are with it? 

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The connecting thread to the Habs was that Huberdeau is a francophone from Quebec and therefore of special interest to the Habs and Habs fans.

I really have to object to your description of the article as a “puke of words” and your complaining about Ten Thoughts. This site is managed and its articles written by VOLUNTEERS. If we don’t like their work, we can make polite suggestions, or quietly ignore a given contribution. But calling them out and insulting their work is not cool. It’s a graceless act of entitlement and ingratitude.

If you don’t like it, how about you step up and offer to write some stuff? I promise I won’t call it “puke” even if it is.

Well put. While I have zero interest in acquiring Huberdeau I can understand that there will be chatter about it because of his name. I really enjoy 10 thoughts. It seems some people really struggle with the concept of "constructive criticism".

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Why?

The only drop in quality on this site occurs when misguided critics rudely complain without offering any constructive advice for improvement.

PS: I have heard overwhelmingly positive feedback on the 10 thoughts 

• Like 1

Huby is somewhat relevant to the Habs because he's an elite player from Quebec and he was approaching free agency when he was traded.  I've seen articles on other sites saying the Habs were lucky and dodged a bullet because Hughes likely would have been interested in him had Huby become a UFA.

Regarding the article, the issue seems to be that it lacks flow and that is primarily related to the excessive use of commas.  In addition, the usage of transition words might help the points in the article flow better.  Moreover, I didn't notice any transition words other than thus and yet (but I might have missed some).  

Furthermore, it is unarguable that over half of the sentences are difficult to read:

image.png

I might as well post the breakdown of the whole article:

image.png

The yellow highlights are hard to read and the pink highlights are very hard to read.  As you can see, the majority of the sentences in the article are considered difficult to read.  

Although @hockeyrealist has a valid point about the readability of the article I fully agree with @PMAC and the others that the issue could have been tactfully brought up in a less surly and non-impudent manner.  

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Huby is somewhat relevant to the Habs because he's an elite player from Quebec and he was approaching free agency when he was traded.  I've seen articles on other sites saying the Habs were lucky and dodged a bullet because Hughes likely would have been interested in him had Huby become a UFA.

Regarding the article, the issue seems to be that it lacks flow and that is primarily related to the excessive use of commas.  In addition, the usage of transition words might help the points in the article flow better.  Moreover, I didn't notice any transition words other than thus and yet (but I might have missed some).  

Furthermore, it is unarguable that over half of the sentences are difficult to read:

image.png

What grammar editor is that?  I've tried a few of them but that's a different screenshot than the ones I've seen.  (I use two for my own writing, one geared for Canadian spelling and one for US since the other site I write for is American so I'm a bit curious about this one.)

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What grammar editor is that?  I've tried a few of them but that's a different screenshot than the ones I've seen.  (I use two for my own writing, one geared for Canadian spelling and one for US since the other site I write for is American so I'm a bit curious about this one.)

Just try Grammerly. I wish a web version existed full-time - including on forums. With my big hands, I always have typos and the Apple autocorrect is horrible. I should probably proofread my posts before posting - usually notice typos and apple’s horrible autocorrect mistakes after the fact!

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What grammar editor is that?  I've tried a few of them but that's a different screenshot than the ones I've seen.  (I use two for my own writing, one geared for Canadian spelling and one for US since the other site I write for is American so I'm a bit curious about this one.)

Its Hemmingway.   https://hemingwayapp.com

Out of curiosity, I decided to throw your 10 thoughts from the Wings game into it just to see what it would say for a comparison:  

image.png

It is much better and its not really comparable anyway because you are describing things that happened in a game vs writing whatever.   Oddly, those 3 purples are the transition word "however" - which confuses me for sure.   

I usually speed read or fast scan through text and I have never had a problem reading yours.  However, with that Huby article I was unable to do that and had to stop in the 2nd or 3rd paragraph.  I was confused as to what I was reading.  When reading it quickly the lack of transition between ideas made it hard to follow for it make sense.    

Yes, for sure there are numerous Grammar editors, especially since ChatGPT came out.

Grammarly is another decent one, but I often question if it is correct.  It is nowhere near as good as Hemmingway.  

Which 2 do you use?

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'll have to take a look at Hemingway, thanks for that.

You're welcome.  Its a powerful writing tool and it works in real time so as you write or make changes it automatically colours the text appropriately.  ex:  if you change some big words it will automatically show that the reading level went down.

Any writer that uses it regularly is guaranteed to improve their writing because they will see what things turns the text pink or yellow, etc.  After prolonged use they will learn to avoid doing those things.

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

You're welcome.  Its a powerful writing tool and it works in real time so as you write or make changes it automatically colours the text appropriately.  ex:  if you change some big words it will automatically show that the reading level went down.

Any writer that uses it regularly is guaranteed to improve their writing because they will see what things turns the text pink or yellow, etc.  After prolonged use they will learn to avoid doing those things.

Personally, a Grade 9 target is a disappointing standard ... not even high school graduate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Personally, a Grade 9 target is a disappointing standard ... not even high school graduate.

Take your complaint up with @dlbalr- he's the 1 writing down to that level.  (I'm teasing because it is common practice to write at that level)

Although I agree that Grade 9 level sounds low, but it actually isn't.  The average American reads at 7-8th grade level and the UK recommends content to be at Grade 9 level and Canada isn't much different.  It is possible to graduate from high school and not read at grade 12 level.   Also, people prefer and are more comfortable reading at 2 levels below the reading level they are capable of.  For that reason the majority of popular high selling novels are written at a 7th grade level.   Another issue is if you write at a Grade 12 level over half the population wouldn't understand most of the "big" words and would have to look them up and because of that they don't bother reading it.  

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Take your complaint up with @dlbalr- he's the 1 writing down to that level.  (I'm teasing because it is common practice to write at that level)

Although I agree that Grade 9 level sounds low, but it actually isn't.  The average American reads at 7-8th grade level and the UK recommends content to be at Grade 9 level and Canada isn't much different.  It is possible to graduate from high school and not read at grade 12 level.   Also, people prefer and are more comfortable reading at 2 levels below the reading level they are capable of.  For that reason the majority of popular high selling novels are written at a 7th grade level.   Another issue is if you write at a Grade 12 level over half the population wouldn't understand most of the "big" words and would have to look them up and because of that they don't bother reading it.  

Well that's depressing. Though I have to admit, I'm guessing the vast majority of Star Wars novels I read are at most at a 7th grade level, so I suppose that shouldn't surprise. Although I am curious how a grammar service would just the technobabble, haha.

I remember reading somewhere (no doubt at a 4th grade level) that the average news article is written at a 4th-grade reading level.

I wouldn't fret too much about "reading level." I do a lot of reading at a graduate/university-professional level, and let me tell you, there is some terrible prose captured under that banner. What matters is whether a piece is clear and has a good story to tell or argument to make.