Game#18 Habs vs Bruins 7pm Sat Nov 18 2023

DON

Hopefully Habs play as well as the last time we played them. I kind of think the Habs are looking like rough waters are coming. Just based on how our games have been going lately. 

Also wondering what Marty is going to do line wise as he likes to keep us in suspense. Sounds like Allen is starting though. 

And the BIGGEST news from MTL@BOS: What you need to know:

4. Typically, the Canadiens’ red uniforms are reserved for games at the Bell Centre but that won’t be the case tonight. The Bruins’ Centennial season features five special “Era Nights,” and on Saturday, they’ll celebrate the 1960-76 “Big Bad Bruins.” For the occasion and as part of their 100-year anniversary, the team has opted to sport their vintage white alternate jerseys, prompting the Habs to go with their classic red sweaters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not that Lucic is out injured & for domestic abuse charge (or something like that)

Bruins' Milan Lucic arrested after alleged domestic incident; stepping away from NHL (msn.com)

I put that in the 2023-24 NHL Discussion thread (https://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?/topic/52980-2023-24-nhl-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=783428) and noted that nothing then was on the BB website or Twitter ... now the website and Twitter have video clips of Montgomery and Marchand labelled as "address(ing) the media ahead of tonight's Bruins matchup against the Montreal Canadiens"... but otherwise they make no direct mention, nor is their "statement" anywhere I can find.

I have a feeling the Bs will bring their A-game tonight, having been stung at the Bell Centre. 

How the Lucic debacle affects this calculation, I don't know. But I suspect we're in for an onery bunch of Bruins tonight - and us with no WiFi. A whuppin' is a distinct possibility. 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Interesting lines

IMG_0254.jpeg

It’s been a while that I've liked Marty’s lines.

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If it weren’t for Allen the Bruins would have 6 goals.

Allen was decent but not that good. Most of the Bruins shots were from well outside, there were only a few really dangerous shots. xGF for the Bruins was roughly two.

2 minutes ago, Habber said:

Is the St. Louis honeymoon over yet? 

Ha ha, well no. He is here to develop the kids first and foremost. Too soon to tell in that respect.

In a couple of years, if all goes well, then we'll need to worry more about whether the coach truly knows how to win hockey games.

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Allen was decent but not that good. Most of the Bruins shots were from well outside, there were only a few really dangerous shots. xGF for the Bruins was roughly two.

Allen certainly wasn’t great in the second!

It’s also interesting to me how stats brush up against perception or the eye test as it were. I should get knowledgeable about advanced stats because it’s a part of the game now. 

1 minute ago, Habber said:

Is the St. Louis honeymoon over yet? 

I don't think the coaching staff is the problem. 

There are of course other issues with the roster, but the loss of Dach really impacts the roster. With him healthy the jobs of Suzuki, caufield, Monahan, Newhook and Slafkovsky would all be easier as he makes those around him better and it's harder for opposing teams to key in on Suzuki defensively. 

I'm sure we're missing the small things Savard does as well.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha ha, well no. He is here to develop the kids first and foremost. Too soon to tell in that respect.

In a couple of years, if all goes well, then we'll need to worry more about whether the coach truly knows how to win hockey games.

I must admit that while I’m very happy with Marty and his coaching of this team right now, I’m not sure I see him as a championship coach. 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He’s developing kids? Which ones? Slag and Cole and who else? I think if it was any other coach they’d be roasted. 

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I must admit that while I’m very happy with Marty and his coaching of this team right now, I’m not sure I see him as a championship coach. 

Having very little coaching experience, he's learning too. Who knows, in a couple of years he may be a master of strategy and bench-management. But he will be assessed by very different standards once the team is decent.

I like what I've heard about MSL's approach to the kids. He was an off-the-radar choice to coach and seems to be genuinely innovative in his approach to young players.

10 minutes ago, Neech said:

Nice goal from Slaf. 

Thank God. I'd love to see him start producing.